Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)

Last edited:
I agree, but it's more the fact we bothered to give him a new deal in the first place
Well yes, but it is what it is, and at least it's an exit strategy rather than doubling down.

- of course, they could also be thinking that a senior assistant and/or Director of Coaching is what is needed to make Nicks successful...

Was an arseh*le at Brisbane because at the time the club was a basket case and full of losers. Since he left they’ve had a full clean out and look at them now.

Maybe Leppitsch was right?
Nah, he's a shit bloke.

Oliver is being shopped around by Melbourne CEO

We had a crack at him last year and offered two first round picks.

It’s been reported that Melbourne would be willing to accept a F1 pick, this sparked Geelong’s interest.

Adelaide- has not showed any interest in Oliver just yet.

Could this mean that we believe that we are confident in securing Peatling?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blows my mind that we are actually creating a coaching director appointment for a coaching team that includes a 5 year senior coach, long term experienced senior assistant and another experienced coach.

Surely this is an acknowledgment that the coaching team we have isn’t good enough? How about replace them?

Whats this guy going to do? Teach them how to coach?

Spot on.

It’s been reported that Melbourne would be willing to accept a F1 pick, this sparked Geelong’s interest.

Future first for Oliver? Sign me up. Land Cumming as a Free Agent, Keep pick 4, use whatever picks we have left to secure Peatling and ANB. Laugh all the way to the bank.

I don't want Oliver. He smacks of Carey and Gibbs to me.
Happy to pursue Peatling but my first
preference is always to have two good draft picks for transformational midfielders though.
Cumming and ANB will improve our list but not transform it. Peatling fits into that category for mine.

The game against Hawthorn at home later in the year is another pretty good example for those who don't believe we changed our gameplan.

Now at this stage of the season we had been back to playing closer to our 2023 style. For some unknown reason (probably drugs) we decided to go with four talls up forward.

After the second term where Hawthorn were running it easily out of our forward half, we decided to bring back the early season go slow gameplan after halftime.

Watch the first 10 mins of that second half and tell me the slow ball movement wasn't an instruction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. But if Geelong is interested maybe we should be.
He could be the difference between a flag in the next year or two with Geelong. Not likely to be for us.

It's why I was actually happy that we targeted Gibbs when we did. I figured he might be what we needed to go one step further than 2017. But as soon as it became clear we were falling away, that trade became a disaster in hindsight.

He could be the difference between a flag in the next year or two with Geelong. Not likely to be for us.

It's why I was actually happy that we targeted Gibbs when we did. I figured he might be what we needed to go one step further than 2017. But as soon as it became clear we were falling away, that trade became a disaster in hindsight.
we should never have failed the first time.

That was the biggest problem.

I don't want Oliver. He smacks of Carey and Gibbs to me.
Happy to pursue Peatling but my first
preference is always to have two good draft picks for transformational midfielders though.
Cumming and ANB will improve our list but not transform it. Peatling fits into that category for mine.

Probably with our club is that you need to capitalise on your first round selections

Gullucci, Jones, Ned and Milera suggest we have got this wrong in several occasions, and missed Butters in the process.

Then there is McAsey as well

This alone has set back our rebuild

Peatling is on the rise as a mid - he just needs midfield minutes

we should never have failed the first time.

That was the biggest problem.
Walking away from an overpriced trade wasn't a mistake. The mistake was caving and going back the second time.

Although you have to shake your head in bewilderment when you look at the 2 first rounders Carlton were demanding back then for Gibbs due to his contracted status, then look at what they're now reportedly offering for the also contracted (and back to back All Australian) Dan Houston.

Being a game analyst Is doesn’t always transfer into being a premiership senior coach.

The simple truth is are Bucks did underperform with his list and divided his dressing room.

McRae comes in with minimal changes to the list and the core 22 and takes them from outside the 8 to premiership, this does reflect poorly on Buckley.

Love listening to him, but not sold on him as a Head coach

In comparison with Nicks?

I get Gibbs flashbacks when hearing about Oliver. I don't want to see us throw huge draft capital to get a bloke who is likely past his best and not far from the end.
Having pick 4 in a midfield rich draft, as well as seeing Curtin and Rankine look good in the middle late makes it feel way less important to take a risk like this. Dawson, Soligo, Curtin, Lalor/Draper and Rankine feels like a potential A grade midfield without Oliver.

Probably with our club is that you need to capitalise on your first round selections

Gullucci, Jones, Ned and Milera suggest we have got this wrong in several occasions, and missed Butters in the process.

Then there is McAsey as well

This alone has set back our rebuild

Peatling is on the rise as a mid - he just needs midfield minutes

My concern with Peatling is that if he gets those midfield minutes will it be at the expense of Laird and Crouch (is it should be) or, more likely, at the expense of Dowling / Taylor / Edwards / Curtin / pick 4 this year or whoever else we have also needing midfield minutes?

So if we are blaming the players did Reid and Hamish get it wrong?
Hamish yes.

I have said before he is the one individual who has done the most damage to this club and a key reason we are where we are now.

A club can't go 13 years without drafting an elite mid and expect success.

Sloane and B Crouch borderline A Graders.

The first/ second round drafts between 2007 and 2020 have killed us.

Somewhat back on track now.

Blows my mind that we are actually creating a coaching director appointment for a coaching team that includes a 5 year senior coach, long term experienced senior assistant and another experienced coach.

Surely this is an acknowledgment that the coaching team we have isn’t good enough? How about replace them?

Whats this guy going to do? Teach them how to coach?
Exactly - again it is a demonstration that we are the nicest guys in the business - we don’t do “the man talks” that Walshy had, we just wait for people to retire, request a transfer etc. We don’t want to upset anyone.

That should be our recruiting line to entice players, coaches, officials “become a Crow you’ll be looked after for life”

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back