Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
Just don't see their list as salary cap bursting.
I hate Geelong as much as anyone, but it's turning into a standard complaint that I don't think has significant basis when you compare their list to other clubs.
We don’t even know the logistics of how his contract is split yet. What will bugger me more is if they somehow get him for F1 (a late teens pick) and still have Melbourne pay a decent chunk of his salary.

That’s a very basic representation of Fagan’s path to Melbourne and his roles there.

Not really? He was a director of coaching in Tasmania and head coach, then moved to Melbourne as a development coach, moved up to an assistant coach, moved up to GM of Football Operations and then Hawthorn hired him as a head of coaching and development.

It is indisputable that Fagan had a strong CV as an assistant coach and had prior experience in an administration role before he moved to Hawthorn.

Why does someone need to be a senior AFL coach to be a coaching director? Leppitch was a terrible senior coach, why does that make him more qualified to be a coaching director at Collingwood?

Chris Fagan clearly rates him very highly and I’m sure works very closely with him, why is his endorsement for this role not enough for people who had no idea who he was before tonight? Trusting the opinion of the people that work with him isn’t happy clapping.

The club has a long history of hiring people into roles they are new at, effectively promoting them into that position.

And doing so with key roles at the football club.

We rarely seem to target or get the people that have existing experience in their new role (or equivalent roles) with us. This includes our current head of football and CEO.

My point is he clearly wouldn’t have been one of our top targets. He might turn out to be great. But I’m not going to buy posters applauding the appointment when they know he wasn’t a top choice.
I’m not sure we can really assume either way. He might have a glowing reputation around league circles for all we know

Proof will be in the results of course, but I’m keen to see what new influence he brings

Given he comes from the most successful side of the past 2 seasons, i can't see why he wouldn't have been a target
Because he’s never been an afl head coach or held a senior position. Then throw in the media reports we were struggling to fill the position, that it’s Adelaide and we struggle to get anyone of note, Adam Kelly cough cough, what do you think? What’s the more plausible scenario?

I’m not sure we can really assume either way. He might have a glowing reputation around league circles for all we know

Proof will be in the results of course, but I’m keen to see what new influence he brings

I guess my concern is that we need a "Director of Coaching" that can actually direct and reign in Matthew Nicks. If we're not going to sack him, then he needs to get a lot better at coaching. That's what you'd hope a role above Nicks would be doing, ensuring the entire coaching panel improves, getting them to work together, cutting out the stupidity.

If we're hiring someone that doesn't have that experience base to draw on, how is he going to effectively manage Nicks who actually has experience in that head coaching role? Would Nicks respect him and learn from him? I mean I hope so but the man is stubborn.

That's the best you've got ??

It's the same logic you're applying here though.

You're using Fagan to justify his appointment as though there's some correlation between their career paths and success when there's not.

As George said before, Rowey has been saying for weeks that the club has been struggling to attract candidates for this role so he's clearly been one of the few people to show any interest and was clearly a mile down the shopping list.

I'm not writing him off, I'm just calling it as it is that it's a very uninspiring hire and a "you'll do" appointment.

He would’ve required an endorsement from Chris Fagan, I can’t see why that isn’t enough for people who didn’t know who he was 3 hours ago.
I still think graham wright is the guy if we get him will be the director and davis the senior asst

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess my concern is that we need a "Director of Coaching" that can actually direct and reign in Matthew Nicks. If we're not going to sack him, then he needs to get a lot better at coaching. That's what you'd hope a role above Nicks would be doing, ensuring the entire coaching panel improves, getting them to work together, cutting out the stupidity.

If we're hiring someone that doesn't have that experience base to draw on, how is he going to effectively manage Nicks who actually has experience in that head coaching role? Would Nicks respect him and learn from him? I mean I hope so but the man is stubborn.
How do you actually know who is and who isn’t fit for this type of role? Do you not trust Chris Fagan’s opinion? Or Greg Swann’s? It’s not like we wouldn’t have chatted to these type of people.

Kelly stop gap? He’s been there a few years now.

My point is he clearly wouldn’t have been one of our top targets. He might turn out to be great. But I’m not going to buy posters applauding the appointment when they know he wasn’t a top choice.
Yep , they have been desperate to get a more football experienced person to oversee that part of Kelly’s role but haven’t been able to nail one down

Hence the Graham Wright chat , absolute definition of a stop gap is Kelly . Sad but true

I’d say Kelly is more suited to a purely administrative role , maybe Hurley’s ?

Are you saying the only good appointments at the club are when the person is our top choice ? Surely this doesn’t make sense . There are 18 clubs most in melb , a football soft cap . Burgess would be the only one at our club that might be considered the best in his role so getting your first choice is extremely rare

How do you actually know who is and who isn’t fit for this type of role? Do you not trust Chris Fagan’s opinion? Or Greg Swann’s? It’s not like we wouldn’t have chatted to these type of people.

I trust their opinion as far as retaining him as an assistant coach for many years which speaks to his qualities as an assistant coach

I do not trust our assessment in terms of hiring or promoting people into executive/leadership type roles at the club

If he’s our coaching director, do you think he was one of our top targets?

Rowey was even saying today that people he had spoken to said we were struggling to fill the role.

Yes it’s only Rowey but it ties in with his CV and our difficulty in attracting experienced credentialed footy people.

Burton and Kelly have been our last 2 footy ops managers, what does that tell you?

Unless one of us work inside the AFL industry and know the Crows internal industry reputation, its all speculation however there is far more evidence than not that suggests we are not a desirable destination on and off the field.

The fact we can not fill a role with an experienced football head, does not bode well for Nicks as someone seen to be an up and coming coach by the club. Which also tells you perhaps the club is arrogantly pushing shit up hill in its continued appointment of Nicks.

If I am right, I dont think anyone trusts Nicks will be our coach in two years time which would be why we are not attracting anyone. Why come over to work with a guy likely to not be their?

He would’ve required an endorsement from Chris Fagan, I can’t see why that isn’t enough for people who didn’t know who he was 3 hours ago.

That doesn't always mean something though.

One of my staff members is a complete dud and I've given glowing referee reports for her in the hope that someone takes her off my hands 🤣🤣🤣

I guess my concern is that we need a "Director of Coaching" that can actually direct and reign in Matthew Nicks. If we're not going to sack him, then he needs to get a lot better at coaching. That's what you'd hope a role above Nicks would be doing, ensuring the entire coaching panel improves.

Fair argument. I would suggest that, having been a part of a recently very successful club that was built from the ground up, Davis knows what a culture of sustained success looks like, and what needs to be achieved in order to get to, and keep at that level. You’d think he brings some of those ingredients over here

Whether Nicks takes on that advice remains to be seen, but I don’t think his attitude to advice would be any different from Davis to anyone not named Clarkson, Hardwick, Scott or Longmire

I'm still confused by that tweet.

Coaching Director sounds different to Nicks' right hand man.

Hopefully there's some announcements (including any sackings) before or during the B&F.
They won’t be announcing sackings at the B&F FFS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back