Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Last edited:
I trust their opinion as far as retaining him as an assistant coach for many years which speaks to his qualities as an assistant coach

I do not trust our assessment in terms of hiring or promoting people into executive/leadership type roles at the club

Well up until now, Silvers has been the best part of an ordinary toothless yes men. So this is his chance to actually use his experience and get someone. If he cant, again, speaks volumes about the calibre of people we currently have at the club.

I guess my concern is that we need a "Director of Coaching" that can actually direct and reign in Matthew Nicks. If we're not going to sack him, then he needs to get a lot better at coaching. That's what you'd hope a role above Nicks would be doing, ensuring the entire coaching panel improves, getting them to work together, cutting out the stupidity.

If we're hiring someone that doesn't have that experience base to draw on, how is he going to effectively manage Nicks who actually has experience in that head coaching role? Would Nicks respect him and learn from him? I mean I hope so but the man is stubborn.
Is that what a director of coaching does?

Brendan Bolton was director of coaching above Alistair Clarkson after being his assistant and then an epic failure as a senior coach. Then straight back to being an assistant. Can't see him telling Clarko anything lol.

Now he's a director of coaching and an assistant coach at Collingwood.

I'd really like to see what the role description is.

How does Geelong actually get Smith and Oliver.
You'd presume Dogs want a first and a second.
Like Pick 15 and F2.

Unless Oliver for a third rounder actually happens.

I dont think they will get Oliver. Frankly, I think Oliver is stuck unless Oliver goes so far as to seek mediation. But I dont think he will get to Geelong. They dont have the capital.

What I do see happening, is when they open up the two years worth of futures for trade, I think players like Oliver can move a lot easier then. But thats 12 months away.

Brendan Bolton was director of coaching above Alistair Clarkson after being his assistant and then an epic failure as a senior coach. Then straight back to being an assistant. Can't see him telling Clarko anything lol.

I'm more describing what I think is necessary from a director of coaching role at our club

Each club is different - some role titles might be similar however the role profile will differ from club to club

Why it’s always important to pause until the full information is shared.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he was being announced as a line coach you'd find the reaction would be completely different.

The reality is he's coming into a role (Director of Coaching) that he's arguably not completely qualified for.

That's the issue people have with this.

The big clubs have no issue pulling high quality candidates while we have to resort to plucking someone from obscurity, putting him into the position and hoping that he'll deliver.

We essentially did the same thing with Adam Kelly.
Nothing like kelly really, davis has been involved with a successful club
Time will tell if it's a good appointment, but that's true for anyone
Plenty of well known names end up being failures too

That doesn't always mean something though.

One of my staff members is a complete dud and I've given glowing referee reports for her in the hope that someone takes her off my hands 🤣🤣🤣
He’s worked for 8 years under Fagan and just won a flag, if Fagan thought he was a dud then why was he there so long? Harris Andrews credits Davis with his development; he oversaw the emergence of players like Lohmann this year. Do you seriously think the Crows wouldn’t have asked people like Fagan if he thought Davis was ready for a promotion into a more senior role?

Surely not. Don't reckon he's worth a first anymore either.
There's been talk of DeKoning but he's one of Geelongs few decent young players.
SDK definitely staying, apparently

They’ll need to source an extra pick from somewhere, if they want to trade 15, and the F1 and F2. Dunno who else could be trade candidates off the top of my head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s worked for 8 years under Fagan and just won a flag, if Fagan thought he was a dud then why was he there so long? Harris Andrews credits Davis with his development; he oversaw the emergence of players like Lohmann this year. Do you seriously think the Crows wouldn’t have asked people like Fagan if he thought Davis was ready for a promotion into a more senior role?

There is no issue with bringing in someone of his experience onto our assistant coaching panel. In fact he would be an excellent addition because we sorely lack experience from premiership clubs

There is no issue with bringing in someone of his experience onto our assistant coaching panel. In fact he would be an excellent addition because we sorely lack experience from premiership clubs
Except for VB

Your right as the title has been used for some very different roles over the years.

I think originally it was a mentor or consultant role. Bolton was more a Senior Assitant, sometimes the role is a 'coach' to the coaches ensuring consistent messages.

Sometimes it is just the guy that does whatever will make life easier for the Senior Coach. So for Nicksy he might swat some flys away or mop up spilt Pepsi.

relapse you need to improve your arguments ..... Jeff is on the money here

Waynus, how about this for an argument....

You're letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

Clearly I'm the only person looking at this from a sensible, emotionally disengaged position.

Not only that, but this is what I do for a living so I'm the only person here who is qualified to have a valid opinion so everyone else's opinion is wrong.

Maybe I should roll with this type of approach instead?

I dont think they will get Oliver. Frankly, I think Oliver is stuck unless Oliver goes so far as to seek mediation. But I dont think he will get to Geelong. They dont have the capital.

What I do see happening, is when they open up the two years worth of futures for trade, I think players like Oliver can move a lot easier then. But thats 12 months away.

Or perhaps the AFL could make an exception - to help the Cats out after a tough finish to the year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back