Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • Gettable claiming the Peatling decision is still between three clubs (link)

Last edited:

Peatling will be a good get. Quick and a midfielder with skills... immediately transforms our core

Agreed but what are you prepared to give up in draft Capital to get him and ANB? If we use our F2 then we can't use our F1 to get a second pick in before Welsh.

I don't think there is any doubt Peatling makes us a better side but it's not as easy as Cumming due to the required trade.

Agreed but what are you prepared to give up in draft Capital to get him and ANB? If we use our F2 then we can't use our F1 to get a second pick in before Welsh.

I don't think there is any doubt Peatling makes us a better side but it's not as easy as Cumming due to the required trade.
Ideally

Pick 25 - Peatling
Pick 42 + F3 - ANB

Hope that the contract for Himmelberg to GC nets us band 5 compo and we can flip that into next year for a F3...fingers crossed

Apologies for the novel...

Murray Davis and whoever else may well be quality, can only get better than we've been the last few years.

That said, I think it's fair to take a step back from individual appointments and acknowledge that we're not a club that obvious, ambitious options want to come to.

I think we should of had enough advantages to not have to take risks on unknown people in positions they've not yet had (again, happy to wait to see what the Davis position is, media often connect the wrong dots and go early). There are clubs like us who use career progression as the bait, and there are other clubs where just being at that club is the bait.

A few years at a big Victorian club is great for the resume, a few years under a successful coach is great for the resume, a few years at a club that's on the rise also good for the resume. Same could apply to having a great football boss or whatever other title you want to give them.

The problem is I can see why there are clubs in every other state that are more desirable, some that we compare ourselves to.

Melbourne - Big clubs and no disruption to life if moving clubs, Geelong - lifestyle but without the pressure/fishbowl of Adelaide? Access to Melbourne, Sydney - Big city lifestyle without the pressure and anonymity, Brisbane similar to Sydney with the anonymity, WA - huge club and respected.

I guess Adelaide, and I like it as much as anyone here, is small city, no anonymity and also no more a resume builder than any other club.

Ideally we'd be cherry picking the best staff from "lesser" clubs, they'd think, 3 years at a big successful club great for the resume, then I'll start applying for senior assistant or head coach jobs. If you're doing enough of that then sure also bring in people from successful clubs and use the promotion to get them here.

I'm not saying we could do any better with what we've got, but have we tried something different? Like is it a different pay structure or something else out of the box? When we do have our "good" periods, do we encourage our lesser staff to cash in on our success and go elsewhere and use our success to attract better people to go further or are we so locked into keeping the group together and working harder.

Maybe it's massively "over paying" a big name coach or football boss and leveraging their history to attract ambitious people.

First time coaches, best of the SANFL hires and people wanting to settle in Adelaide won't get it done.

I accept that everyone is "trying hard" to bring in the right people, but maybe its going to take more than that.

Last edited:

I dont think we'll need many points for Welsh

Welsh isn't going early.

If we traded our first next year by the time in the draft we do it we are probably asking for a second back with whatever pick it is.

I'd hazard a guess 20-ish for Dodson.

Assuming EH/Sloane/Ned/Parnell/Hamill/Gollant are the only list outs, we won’t have space for a second pick before Welsh anyway

Reckon we will split 25 after Brisbane collects picks for f/s and academy prospects just so we have more to play with

I think I've (finally!!!) learned (after 15 years), that we can't help others unless they want to be helped. Right now (and for the last 7 years), they are pissed off with the Club (often justifiably so) for poor decision making. That means that they have a tendency to jump in feet first before they actually know all the facts (see the Cumming flip flopping and melodramatic meltdowns before the real decision was announced as a previous example). What those of us who don't react this way can do is just let them air their grievances and perhaps not put too much effort into them because a) we get angst ridden, and b) this is their state of mind right now. They have as much right to be pissed off as we have to be c'est-la-vie.
Your latest passive aggressive attempt to limit what others post 😄 and truly shameless given your posting history!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the problem often seems to be we can't hit our 1st, 2nd or even 3rd targets sometimes. Which then leads us to go down the path of rookies and promoting people into roles they've never done before. Which can actually create more workload for people they're working with.

I remember Campo talking about in 2019 when he got promoted into whatever that role was and we brought in Godden and Mattner and they were experienced, premiership winning SANFL coaches and he said a huge part of his workload was managing/working with those guys and what they needed to do day to day, week to week.

Ideally that would probably be your senior assistant doing that, but we also have/had our senior assistant running a line, so Burns probably can't fully concentrate on that area either. That's a big part of the role Nicks had at GWS as part of his senior assistant gig, working with the other coaches and managing them to lighten the load on what Leon Cameron had to do. I imagine that's what the DoC will be doing here for us.

Now what a senior assistant will be doing also if we get one is another question still. They may get a broader portfolio to work with like team strategy, ball movement, team offense/defence etc.

If we've been spending the full soft cap (which I highly doubt), we certainly seem to distribute it differently to successful clubs.

Except that he also spoke to Cumming....
2 out of 3 times, works every time.

happy paul rudd GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back