Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Last edited:
Edmund on SEN just got off the phone and believes the Oliver to Geelong has fallen over. Melb have decided it's too hard and will announce Clarry is staying.
More likely they know the Cats can't come up with the collateral required.
What can the Cats come up with that would satisfy the Dees even considering Oliver's issues?

Maybe Petracca has softened on his him or me rumours?

I saw an article suggesting Preuss was keen to play on, believe he thought he would need to do it via the VFL meaning there's likely zero interest from other clubs.

But would be very happy to delist Strachan, pick Preuss up for nothing and then hopefully draft a ruck to develop.

That said, list positions are too tight for this to happen I think.
Preuss injured himself reading this post

Not ready made but Dodson is a target in the draft
Don't be shocked to see us trade our F1 on the night to get him

A pick that could be somewhere around pick 6 or so for a development ruck, even a good one doesn't seem like good business to me?

More likely they know the Cats can't come up with the collateral required.
What can the Cats come up with that would satisfy the Dees even considering Oliver's issues?

Maybe Petracca has softened on his him or me rumours?
Cats have seemingly said its 'Dees decision' if they want to trade him on 'Geelongs terms'
Basically they might come up with a second rounder but need Dees paying 33-50% of his salary for a large chunk/all of his contract (my view) 10m over 6 years is a BIG number and very glad we are staying away. Thats scary risky

Clarified this morning that Pets has NOT demanded Oliver leave the club. That is media talk only. Pets more pissed with clubs handling of various issues inc Olivers errant behaviour, and clearly his own personal injury

There's no chance North give pick 2 for Houston.
Yes there is. North have cleaned up on talent the past few years. they need experience now to fill the gaps. they will give pick 2 for Houston. Port are KOD when it comes to drafting etc once again they will trump us and get Sid Draper

Yes , can’t see how we possibly get him now.
Think I heard Shifter saying late teens now for him which is what I feared.
1st rounders especially a pick that has the potential to be inside the top 10 next year seems too steep to me for a development ruck. With the SANFL rules opening up there will be several development rucks that miss out on the draft, why not go that avenue...try before you buy.

Yes there is. North have cleaned up on talent the past few years. they need experience now to fill the gaps. they will give pick 2 for Houston. Port are KOD when it comes to drafting etc once again they will trump us and get Sid Draper
People conveniently forget that Houston has to nominate North for this to even be a chance, and I think you will find he has already nominated Carlton, just hasn’t made it public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If his objective is to break his Contract to get back to Melbourne .....he doesn't get to choose the Club in VIC

He has no voice in the matter, it's Port that have to be satisfied
A - It's not his choice, it's Port pushing him out
B - Any player, contracted or not, has to agree to any trade

You know positively that Draper is on top of our guys draft list?

Yes , can’t see how we possibly get him now.
Think I heard Shifter saying late teens now for him which is what I feared.
If the reports of our interest in Draper (Sam, the Essendon one) are true, perhaps the plan is to just go with ROB for another year then bring in Draper next year as a ready to go replacement under free agency rather than drafting one?

waiting on Cummin FA announcement. Cant imagine we will need to wait too much longer (hopefully!)

Kane was VERY complimentary about our aggressive trading this morning. Rated all 3 players we are bringing in. Saying we are clearly trading to 'win now' including keeping some snr players like Tex. The 6 year rebuild is over and feels we are going hard to win big next year

Cats have seemingly said its 'Dees decision' if they want to trade him on 'Geelongs terms'
Basically they might come up with a second rounder but need Dees paying 33-50% of his salary for a large chunk/all of his contract (my view) 10m over 6 years is a BIG number and very glad we are staying away. Thats scary risky

Clarified this morning that Pets has NOT demanded Oliver leave the club. That is media talk only. Pets more pissed with clubs handling of various issues inc Olivers errant behaviour, and clearly his own personal injury
You might believe it, I don't re Petracca, like I said the rumour was too strong not to have elements of truth to it. Sounds more like Petracca has softened his attitude to Oliver to me.

You know positively that Draper is on top of our guys draft list?
That's what I was wondering, too. By the sound of it, the top end of this draft is well stocked with midfielders. If somebody else picks Draper before us then it seems like we won't have any problem getting somebody else just as good with our pick.

If the reports of our interest in Draper (Sam, the Essendon one) are true, perhaps the plan is to just go with ROB for another year then bring in Draper next year as a ready to go replacement under free agency rather than drafting one?
Reckon you are right on the money.

1st rounders especially a pick that has the potential to be inside the top 10 next year seems too steep to me for a development ruck. With the SANFL rules opening up there will be several development rucks that miss out on the draft, why not go that avenue...try before you buy.
That sounds like a good idea, rather than spending a high draft selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back