Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Rumor summary October 4
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Last edited:
Not the driving factor in their decision making, I know, but bloody hell I love it when we can bring back lads who grew up barracking for the club. It's got a nice romance about it.
Gather why he never entertained Port

Lol, I just read that Josh Battle has played the Crows 7 times since he started playing. I've likely watched every single one of those games and I have almost no recollection of him in any of them. I did look out for him this year out of interest when he was being talked about as a potential band 1 compo, but even then hardly saw him.

Would you risk swapping pick 4 for Saints pick 8 and a 2nd round pick? Draper currently listed at 9.
That ranking of Draper at 9 is one person's opinion (Michael Alvaro), it wouldn't be wise to use that as a reference to splitting pick 4.

I Didnt Say That Canadian GIF by CBC

Agreed, it only makes sense if we trade our F1 into this year. Probably why they haven’t done it yet, waiting to see what happens in trade week.

Obviously we aren’t taking Jack Michalaney though. Do you know if he nominates for the draft this year, and doesn’t get taken, does he still qualify as a Father/Son next year?
Whats happened with Jack Michalaney, has he just fallen away? Thought he was looking at a decent pickup for us.. Then nothing.. Rookie possibly?

Whats happened with Jack Michalaney, has he just fallen away? Thought he was looking at a decent pickup for us.. Then nothing.. Rookie possibly?
Fallen away?

Don't think he was ever in any serious draft discussions after not making any of the State representation squads let alone teams coming through...especially with the depth in this draft in the medium defender types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage we're unlikely to have a "live" pick in the RD. We're likely to have 1-2 picks in the RD, both being used on players being demoted from the senior list.

He had to play a lot of school footy and had a couple of injuries. Looked pretty good when he did play under 18’s. He’s probably a year behind his brother at the same time, hence why it might be worth convincing him to not nominate and bring him into our SANFL team like we did with Welsh.

He had to play a lot of school footy and had a couple of injuries. Looked pretty good when he did play under 18’s. He’s probably a year behind his brother at the same time, hence why it might be worth convincing him to not nominate and bring him into our SANFL team like we did with Welsh.
He wouldnt be drafted even if he did nominate TBH.

And probably stuck in the 2s at Norwood as well.

Heard this last week from my mate in recruiting, Lalor or FOS are firming for that pick one to Richmond (with the other likely for North)

Gut feel is that the Crows end up with either Jagga Smith or Sid Draper at pick 4 (or 5 with the Ashcroft bid)

So if that's the case do WC take Draper or Jagga (who has had many pick as a num 1)

FA compensation is the stupidest thing.

The benefit of losing a FA is cap space, so you can get another FA.

This inventing picks is ****ing ridiculous. Every team that finished above St Kilda get disadvantaged because St Kilda and Hawks saw player movement. It’s nonsense.

You have clubs trading FAs for junk picks to protect their precious imaginary picks the AFL create.

Throw in the formula being secret so AFL can manipulate the **** out of it to fit their narrative.

Thank **** we finished lower than Saints.

While that's true in theory, that's not how it works in practice. FA's go where they want to go, and it's not just money that's the driving factor. You might have a better offer for a FA, but he chooses some other team because it means he doesn't have to leave his home state or he goes to a team that's contending for a flag etc etc. It's on this basis that I'm fine with keeping the FA compensation as it is.

An alternative might be an auction system. Players who want to exercise their FA rights, instead of just choosing where they want to go, would go into an auction. All interested clubs bid on them, and whoever offers the best contract gets the player on those terms. Then a player that loses a FA can take that cap space and use it to bid on another FA and the system would actually work the way you're describing.

But that's not how it works and not how it's going to work so right now the compensation is the only way a lot of teams are able to get any return on the investment they put into that player for 8 years.

Heard this last week from my mate in recruiting, Lalor or FOS are firming for that pick one to Richmond (with the other likely for North)

Gut feel is that the Crows end up with either Jagga Smith or Sid Draper at pick 4 (or 5 with the Ashcroft bid)

Hearing crows love Jagga Smith and Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back