Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Rumor summary October 4 and 5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Last edited:
The issue with Crouch isn't so much whether he's good at his role, it's that we have a bunch of other players to develop

Crouch turns 30 shortly into next season and, if we're being honest, is not part of our premiership team

We have to develop a pick 4 midfielder, Curtin, and Edwards, we've just traded in Peatling and Rankine should return to the side in a midfield role. We've also got to keep developing Soligo in an inside role, Taylor, etc.

It's all well and good to want to play Crouch, but he has zero versatility so will always been occupying a role that should be used on someone that will be there for our next premiership.

I guess you can point to 2017 as a finals midfield that worked with Crouch in there... but that will be 8 seasons ago.

Not only 8 seasons ago, also an outlier year where 15 wins made top 2, that is a rarity. Plus it was a once off, how many years have we had a slow inside accumulator regularly racking up 30+ and how many GFs did we make. My count is 1 from nearly 20 years.

Circular? He's never tried to curtail someone's right to an opinion because it doesn't meet his positivity standards, only you do that 😃

You even played a very strong part in having sanders banned for that reason yet his friend mostyn doesn't seem to appreciate that 😃
Mostyn blocks anyone that doesn't agree with him. Soon he'll just be talking to himself.

The hate on Laird is ridiculous
I mean, he’s slow, not a reliable kick, and tends to be a negative influence on our ball movement, so it’s easy to understand why it feels like the game is going/has gone past him. The ‘throwing young players under the bus’ stuff doesn’t help his likability either

He finished 6th in the B&F, after finishing top 3 every year for the past 7 years.

I think he still has a role in our best 18.
Could you explain/justify this in “how he performs at AFL level in 2024” terms, rather than “where he finished in the B&F” terms?

McHenry’s been gone 5 minutes and the whipping boy is…Wayne Milera?!? Seriously? Excellent footballer, easily part of our best team. Bad run of injuries doesn’t make someone a plodder. Some short memories here.
Reckon Murphy is well ahead of Milera. ;)

I think you're right, but I also think the club's definition of "making a run" is finishing 7th
I’d like to think the club has higher expectations than that, in general

Though my biggest fear is that Nicks just scrapes into finals, the clubs sees that as ‘genuine progress’ and extends him again

Apart from his age... He still offers alot ... While there are a few in the team who are like him... Ie berry, laird etc ... He is still better at what he does... Which is why berry should have been traded. Apart from injury he had been very consistent when the coach actually played him in his role which is a pure in and under player. The team is the best when he's the only one playing in that role. It doesn't work when there are others with the same skillset. If I'll picking the team, he's ahead of berry who is his main competition. Laird should not be considered got the midfield. I don't even want to see laird in defense.

I'd prefer to see Berry develop over playing Crouch. Berry tackles more, kicks more and puts defenders under more pressure because he runs forward out of contests. His base numbers are a bit low, but need to factor 56% TOG into that. Still needs to get it a bit more, but replacing 30 from Crouch with 25 from Berry would be an overall positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, he’s slow, not a reliable kick, and tends to be a negative influence on our ball movement, so it’s easy to understand why it feels like the game is going/has gone past him. The ‘throwing young players under the bus’ stuff doesn’t help his likability either
I was watching his highlights from earlier in his career. The 100 games highlight package he was a completely different player to today - he played with desperation.

These days he's just going through the motions, grumpily and doing the bare minimum, like a public servant counting down the days until retirement.

I was watching his highlights from earlier in his career. The 100 games highlight package he was a completely different player to today - he played with desperation.

These days he's just going through the motions, grumpily and doing the bare minimum, like a public servant counting down the days until retirement.
It was the Sydney game after he stafted Rachelle that he then shirked a contest?

Plenty of examples where he’s just jogged or not put in an effort, he should have been dropped to send a message to him and the senior players.

Very average footballer. Played his best footy in defense. When we lost brad crouch he switched to midfield because we lacked mids.
We need to separate what players were - from what they are.

I've defended Laird before.

He was good in defence, hard at it and clean with his hands. H then had a tough role to step into the middle and fill a hole (or two). He did it pretty well, leaning on his strengths but unable to hide his weaknesses.

That is what he was.

What he is now ... is not great. His attitude appears to be less than stellar. His disposal is not improving. His efforts are one-and-done.

Like Smith - and Sloane before him - and Douglas before him - and Thommo before him - we need to manage their decline in performance better. I'm not holding my breath.

Plenty of examples where he’s just jogged or not put in an effort, he should have been dropped to send a message to him and the senior players.
And this is why or where Nicks needs to change

Integrity and accountability should be the cornerstone of any coach

And this is why or where Nicks needs to change

Integrity and accountability should be the cornerstone of any coach
He won't change.

His philosophies are the same as those higher up in the club hierarchy.

Seniority and continuity reigns supreme, while crushers are held to higher standards.

Its not so much his ability - which very few doubt but its the timing of it. Out of contract and 30 years old with kids coming through

If he wants to fight and scrape for a contract in 2026 then so be it - but the club should be looking to move him on

Shouldn't have extended him last time, should try and force him out this trade period, would be utter stupidity to extend him next year. But we will, otherwise we'll be turning over 8 or so players.

Laird got squeezed out of the midfield but will we remember that when we put together our midfield group for next season?

Smith got squeezed out of the team altogether. Will we remember this if he puts in a strong preseason?

ROB got dropped. Will we remember this when putting together our 2025 leadership group?

We haven't been very good at taking on board lessons learned from one season to the next. Often players can weasel their way back in on the back of strong preseason training efforts. Similarly players who worked their way into the team and started contributing find themselves at the back of the queue again by Round 1. Makes it hard to build anything.

Same with Godden.

Laird got squeezed out of the midfield but will we remember that when we put together our midfield group for next season?

Smith got squeezed out of the team altogether. Will we remember this if he puts in a strong preseason?

ROB got dropped. Will we remember this when putting together our 2025 leadership group?

We haven't been very good at taking on board lessons learned from one season to the next. Often players can weasel their way back in on the back of strong preseason training efforts. Similarly players who worked their way into the team and started contributing find themselves at the back of the queue again by Round 1. Makes it hard to build anything.
I don't mind ROB being in the leadership group TBH. It's pretty clear the guy is a leader within the group and let's be honest, he's going to play most if not all of the season (rightly or wrongly) because he's basically it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back