Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Rumor summary October 4 and 5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Last edited:
You really believe ANB and Murphy will both play round one? (Assuming not injuries to multiple other small forwards like Keays, Rachele etc)?

Happy to bookmark but surely ANB replaces Murphy here

The ever optimist says ANB is in for Murphy. Thats the clear comparison. Murphy should be the 23rd player selected every week. Surely he doesnt survive all 3 inclusions plus young players. That would be an utter disaster at selection.

Whilst I agree ANB is a good get for our club ,but don't totally agree that helps our kids AFL development progression by him,Peatling and Cumming coming into the team as basically they are taking spots the kids were getting games in .
Especially time in midfield and apart from only hopefully Murphy cannot see a experienced player being dropped as Smith was already out of team.
Not too sure that players like Ryan, Taylor , Pedlar, Edwards are thinking that these players going to help them become better players while they play SANFL.
Adding to this is two of delistings we used to bring the 3 new players into club were KPP , which are not covered by these players and by the stuffing up of resigning Smith etc etc we have no more spaces left to cover.
Not mentioning that we still won't have covered our rucking issues unless a trade can be obtained for one of our fringe players.
What other experienced players would you like to see dropped? Smith and Murphy likely gone as you say above, we have bugger all experienced (100+ games) left and perhaps the only other “obvious” name is Laird but interested in who all these experienced players are now holding back our many youngsters

All indications are that Berry's management went looking for options and couldn't find any takers.

Yes, we would have been better off trading him, but re-signing was still better than delisting.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope, the Collingwood interest was real, Berry's best mates with Eddie's 2 sons, he actually spent part of his holidays overseas with them. I think he eventually lands there

The ever optimist says ANB is in for Murphy. Thats the clear comparison. Murphy should be the 23rd player selected every week. Surely he doesnt survive all 3 inclusions plus young players. That would be an utter disaster at selection.
Bookmarking now. ANB is the clear replacement for Murphy - I really think that’s obvious but time will tell us either way.

I wouldn’t even have Murphy as 23rd selected - that means he plays each week? With a normal injury run to small forwards next year, Murphy plays a handful of games at best IMO

Bookmarking now. ANB is the clear replacement for Murphy - I really think that’s obvious but time will tell us either way.

I wouldn’t even have Murphy as 23rd selected - that means he plays each week? With a normal injury run to small forwards next year, Murphy plays a handful of games at best IMO

Oh I agree, I meant he was 23rd selection this year.

What I think will happen is that Murphy is resigned to Sanfl duty next year and even delisted at the end of the year. May survive the cut but the squads gone past him. He was always a stop gap selection and our lack of depth allowed his survival. But he is crap, plays crap 99% of the time and needs to go. If Nicks persists with him next year, thats out of utter arrogance and defiance of anything resembling reality, and just wanting to stick it to the supporter group and critics.

Watch for the new leadership group announcement. If Murphy is still in it, thats a bad omen re his place in the side being given to ANB or anyone else

Watch for the new leadership group announcement. If Murphy is still in it, thats a bad omen re his place in the side being given to ANB or anyone else
Good point. If I was a betting man I think he is less than 10% chance of being retained in the extended leadership group.

C Dawson
VC ROB, Keays
Extended (assuming this is retained) - Hinge, Soligo, Fog (small chance to move to VC and helps re-sign)

ANB seems a natural leader to join extended group - perhaps in 2026

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got the impression Collingwood was interested?

If there was no takers, surely we would’ve signed Berry to a 1-year deal? But of course that’s not how Reid rolls when it comes to negotiating contracts

Collingwood had a two year deal offer to Berry

Even with Pearling signing we are not blessed with midfield depth - one or two injuries and we are exposed

The decision to sign Berry makes sense.

The decision to have a games trigger clause in Smith’s contract, or any contract is a complete **** up, especially with a player like Smith who is never going to be a flight risk

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood had a two year deal offer to Berry

Even with Pearling signing we are not blessed with midfield depth - one or two injuries and we are exposed

The decision to sign Berry makes sense.

The decision to have a games trigger clause in Smith’s contract, or any contract is a complete **** up, especially with a player like Smith who is never going to be a flight risk

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The games trigger deal wasnt for the clubs protection it was for Smith. Smith wants to extend his career as long as possible. The games trigger prevents the Crows from getting to the end of the season and using him as an easy retirement option to free up list space because they get some shiny new toys. The Crows will have to pay him for the privilege. Its smart.

The only problem is the club negotiators didnt count on a buffoon of a coach who would play players rain hail or shine who are so out of form they wouldnt get a game in the c grade in the amateur league.

Who would like a player who can produce these stat's traded in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007_084155_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_084155_AFL.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20241007_084138_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_084138_AFL.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 21
I heard an interesting tidbit about Clarry over the weekend. We don't want to go there and im guessing the club is aware now too, hence we're no longer popping up as linked.

I heard an interesting tidbit about Clarry over the weekend. We don't want to go there and im guessing the club is aware now too, hence we're no longer popping up as linked.

Nah we walked away. It was pretty clear. I suspect we would have been open to it had he had a reasonable year. But at his age and the price Melbourne want, not to mention his contract. Too much of a risk. We have pick #4 which will net us a premier Mid for the next decade.

Crows being analysed on Trade Radio now (to be continued after the ads..). Cooney and someone else. Not overly insightful but Cooney thinks making finals AND winning a final is a pass mark for 2025

Crows being analysed on Trade Radio now (to be continued after the ads..). Cooney and someone else. Not overly insightful but Cooney thinks making finals AND winning a final is a pass mark for 2025

We both know that if Nicks makes the finals and we get flogged, The club will hail Nicks the next messiah and sign him to a 5 year contract extension.

Nah we walked away. It was pretty clear. I suspect we would have been open to it had he had a reasonable year. But at his age and the price Melbourne want, not to mention his contract. Too much of a risk. We have pick #4 which will net us a premier Mid for the next decade.
Surely if Dees manage to get rid of him it’s a massive salary dump and they couldn’t expect anything meaningful back in terms of trade? If anything, a club able to take his total reported (up to) 10m over 6 years should be getting Dees F1

We both know that if Nicks makes the finals and we get flogged, The club will hail Nicks the next messiah and sign him to a 5 year contract extension.
Cmon man, that’s just not true. He probably wouldn’t get sacked under that scenario but he also wouldn’t be getting an extension (certainly not a multi year one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back