Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Committing to old players that won't be part of a flag team is how you end up going through a rebuild and yet still remaining inexperienced

When the guys that won't be there end up retiring, you have to replace them with a new player anyway - just this time they're 70-100 games less experienced than they otherwise would have been.

Or you have to bring in another recruit, who takes time to get up to speed, depends on the market at the time, etc.

Neal-Bullen is a fine enough player, but he's the sort you bring in to sure up a role for a flag tilt. He's not going to do much for a rebuild. So getting him means we have to go all the way.
I agree with the premise but it falls down somewhat depending on list management and coaches

You say that another player is 70-100 games down on experience. Thats on the coach to manage that - its why I say no matter who you bring in Nicks will still pick Murphy

It will be the junior junior who wont get games. Not because of NB but because of Murphy

NB should be replacing a stop gap player like Murphy or as you say why bother

Henderson, Scott Selwood, Jared Rivers, Mitch Clark, Zac Smith, Jack Steven, Josh Jenkins

All of those players were recruited with an immediate eye to flags. Geelong haven't rebuilt for 2 decades.

Which is the point I'm making. Only get those guys if you are aiming to win flags as soon as possible

If you're recruiting 29 year olds that means you have to win a flag within 3 years otherwise it's pointless

Or it means you have Murphy/Ned at that position and you're desperate for alternatives.

My concern is will he steal/impede Dowling's development spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the premise but it falls down somewhat depending on list management and coaches

You say that another player is 70-100 games down on experience. Thats on the coach to manage that - its why I say no matter who you bring in Nicks will still pick Murphy

It will be the junior junior who wont get games. Not because of NB but because of Murphy

NB should be replacing a stop gap player like Murphy or as you say why bother

In an ideal world ANB would be an upgrade on Murphy

That's what a team looking towards a premiership would do. Upgrade those role players for an immediate flag run.

But do you really think we would replace a best 22 player like Murphy? Like be honest for a moment, what's more likely? ANB replaces Murphy, or ANB replaces the Cook/Pedlar/Taylor/Dowling roles?

When you're a rebuilding team there's holes and inexperience across the side. The temptation to add ANB to Murphy will be there

Or it means you have Murphy/Ned at that position and you're desperate for alternatives.

My concern is will he steal/impede Dowling's development spot?

Are we desperate to replace Murphy?

All signs (B&F, contracting, selection) say otherwise

But do you really think we would replace a best 22 player like Murphy?
I already said Nicks wouldnt

Adding NB isnt the issue its who he replaces. As noted it should be Murphy but it wont. Which is why I agreed with your premise

Are we desperate to replace Murphy?

All signs (B&F, contracting, selection) say otherwise
You see, we are at the 4th and 5th stage of grief here:-

1st stage - Denial (the board has spent a long time here)
2nd stage - Anger (again the board has spent a long time here)
3rd stage - Bargaining (who can we replace him with? - been on that one for a while now too)
4th stage - Depression (we are still here)
5th Stage - Acceptance (thats where most of us are now)

All of those players were recruited with an immediate eye to flags. Geelong haven't rebuilt for 2 decades.

Which is the point I'm making. Only get those guys if you are aiming to win flags as soon as possible
Which we really should be now. One more elite young midfield talent in this draft IMO should be enough to create a good young nucleus there, then we can load up on win-now talent hopefully to rise up the ladder

Ultimately Nicks is gonna have to go in the next 12 months in order to make that a reality, though

In an ideal world ANB would be an upgrade on Murphy

That's what a team looking towards a premiership would do. Upgrade those role players for an immediate flag run.

But do you really think we would replace a best 22 player like Murphy? Like be honest for a moment, what's more likely? ANB replaces Murphy, or ANB replaces the Cook/Pedlar/Taylor/Dowling roles?

When you're a rebuilding team there's holes and inexperience across the side. The temptation to add ANB to Murphy will be there
I’m gonna choose to look at it optimistically for now, I might be reaching but Nicks might not see the forward options we currently have as direct ‘high half-forward pressure player’ replacements for Murphy (even though we all can see Murphy really isn’t a good pressure player)

ANB is clearly similar to him (moreso than Cook/Pedlar), but also a much better player, so Nicks might finally see it fit to make Murphy depth

I actually think this is perfect.

Coaching staff want a reliable, professional and mature bodies leader in that role. Murphy is really just a poor man's ANB, this is finally a genuine replacement the coaches will get behind.
I agree.
Not sure Nicks will cope though. The mental gymnastics Nicks will go through to keep Murphy in the team...we've already seen Murphy lining up on the wing FFS

Yeah, I agree with you. I think Melbourne will be understanding, and the difference between 42 and his actual value (35 or so?) might be close enough that they just call it a wash.
yep its a good faith measure from the Dees, a club already in the spotlight for serious cultural issues. Agree we should pick him up cheaply (42 ish sounds right but we will then need to trade 2025 picks for points to get Welsh) and also means very unlikely to chase another experienced player like Daniel (dont need Daniel now with Ryan developing and already having Hinge, a returning Milera, Bond as a lock down forward, Max providing great flexibility from bp/hbf to mid even, and Jones best possie is hbf IMO)

Or just swap with Gollant perhaps with some pick tweaking if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back