Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s true but to be balanced I am not sure why so many completely ignore the unprecedentedly difficult draw we got. 1/2/3/5/7/11 double ups has to be part of the conversation.
What?
Why do people ignore or not understand that the afl cannot predict the 8?
The only measure is the previous year, what actually happens is just bad luck.

That wasn't the point ....there's no evidence of a "groundswell" .....you have a very small niche of BF supporters, and a smattering of radio talkback

You have to wonder why if they don't take any notice of supporters they'd bother telling them that they should consider supporting other clubs. I'm sure the external review that they said they weren't going to have a few years ago had nothing to do with supporter groundswell.

I thought every one said at the start of the year we got our dream draw because of the Sydney thing?

Home games
Cats , Demons, Bombers , Power, Lions, Eagles, Tigers , Swans, Giants, Saints , Hawks, Dogs

Away
GC, Dockers, Blues, Kangas, Pies, Hawks, Lions , Bombers, Cats, Swans

Double ups
Cats, Hawks, Lions, Power, Swans, Bombers

Swans and Lions only teams from 23 top 8 with Power as an obligatory double up . Swans scraped into 8th and those 3 should have been split wins along with Cats. Bombers and Hawks should have been 2-0 wins

It wasnt that hard a draw
Absolutely not. We thought we were getting a good draw because of the sydney incident. As soon as it came out it was obvious we had been shafted.... however it turnd out even worse than expected

At the start of the year fox rated it as the forth hardest draw, but based on what happened it turned out to be the hardest

That’s true but to be balanced I am not sure why so many completely ignore the unprecedentedly difficult draw we got. 1/2/3/5/7/11 double ups has to be part of the conversation. If Power had got these games does anyone reals think they finish second or probably lose 2-3 of them based on their run of close victories often against non finals teams

When we had double up games in 2022 vs Kangas and Eagles it was repeated HUNDREDS of times by some what an easy draw we had. The year just gone is like nothing we have ever seen before. A 10th ranked team having by far the hardest draw for any team or a “brutal draw” as the afl website said itself.
When we are dropping home games against Richmond, I’m not really looking closely at whether we were unfairly disadvantaged by the draw.

Also continuing to fail to close out games resulting in losses to Geelong, Brisbane, Essendon, etc. same old story of Nicks era Crows. Same again for 2025 I’m sure.

Have we ever delisted a contracted player and paid them out?

Recently extended coaches yes...

Luke Brown. He retired, but I'm sure he'd have plugged away for another year if we didn't nudge him. Bryce Hibbs too, but we couldn't afford to pay him out in that year, so had to keep him on the list. But effectively the same thing.

Absolutely not. We thought we were getting a good draw because of the sydney incident. As soon as it came out it was obvious we had been shafted.... however it turnd out even worse than expected

At the start of the year fox rated it as the forth hardest draw, but based on what happened it turned out to be the hardest
Sigh. Sixth

And again for the simple minded and as Froggy eloquently put it '' the afl cant predict the 8 ''

Now explain how Sydney Brisbane and Port had the hardest draw but finished 1,2 and 5

What?
Why do people ignore or not understand that the afl cannot predict the 8?
The only measure is the previous year, what actually happens is just bad luck.
No. Based on last year we had the 4th hardest draw. Why?
It turned out to be the hardest based on what happened.

We finished 10th. We should have had 10th hardest draw. Full stop.

Absolutely they would have changed their mind

At the start of the year we would have sold the dream of a team on the up

Now were a basket case who shafts its young talent

Players and their managers will be steering clear of us.
No disrespect, but this comment sounds like a massive drama queen.

We're exactly the same opportunity for a player we were a year ago.

We had a disappointing year due to injuries and dropping a lot of close games.

We're still young and improving, and we have gaps that a new player could help fill.

This is mind numbingly stupid logic

Anyone who believes anything said by callers on 5AA should not even be allowed control of a TV remote.
I know multiple Port supporters who love nothing more than to ring 5AA and spread made up stories. Most of the time they pretend to be Crows supporters.

This sounds like a bit of a tall story. You personally know of multiple supporters who love ringing with made up rumours. Add to those that you don't know and we'd be getting multiple rumours every week. But we don't get even one rumour every week. No need to make things up to win an internet point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why have they stopped since we have been shit?

Plus his rationale is crap. A player that got 90% of the votes is listed anyway as they'd be in the top 10 that is disclosed. Plus it's just dumb, B&F is a judgement call based on how well a player performed their role, Murphys role value at 100% performance isn't as valuable as 50% of others. Other clubs being prepared to pay more is what pushes up player value.

Well above someone said 6th?
Anyway people need to stop referring to us having the hardest draw, it’s brainless.

He can say his leadership is valuable

Instead he went overboard in his gushings to offset the public comment that Smith was finished

"Hasn't been at his usual best recently, but he's working harder than ever on the track and we have no doubt he'll turn the corner very soon. His form is probably suffering a bit due to his leadership role in what is a very young defensive group, we'll continue to back him in to turn it around".

It's all rubbish, he's just cooked, but we expect the coaches to spin bullshit to support the player. But there's a point where it's just that unbelievable that you'd have to be demented to say it or believe it. Most of the do,ts around here believe that leadership value overrides being a performance liability. And even for players that clearly don't lead and are flat out concentrating on their own game to keep their spot. We just need to look at showdown to realise our leaders don't lead. No doubt they direct movement and structure, but that's not the leadership being referred to.

Sigh. Sixth

And again for the simple minded and as Froggy eloquently put it '' the afl cant predict the 8 ''

Now explain how Sydney Brisbane and Port had the hardest draw but finished 1,2 and 5
Fox said 4th. I believe Fox more than the AFL as an independent.

Clearly we had an incredibly difficult fixture - whether that mattered or not is the live question. I’m not saying this is the perfect analysis but this is what the ladder would look like if all of the double up games only counted for half (theoretically neutralizing the effect of the double ups).

1. Sydney 48
2. GWS 48
3. Port Adelaide 46
4. Brisbane 43
5. Geelong 42
6. Western Bulldogs 40
7. Hawthorn 38
8. Melbourne 38 (!)

9. Carlton 38
10. Collingwood 37
11. Fremantle 36
12. Essendon 35
13. Gold Coast 32
14. St Kilda 32
15. Adelaide 29
16. West Coast 12
17. North Melbourne 8
18. Richmond 8

If you can’t agree with me that our unprecedentedly difficult draw hindered our W/L ratio let’s leave it as we live in different universes

AFLs own website called it brutal. In 2023, add up the ladder positions of double up games and the hardest draws were for Pies and us AGAIN- we are unlucky (mid 40’s).

This year we finished with 29 playing 1/2/3/5/7. Never happened before from my understanding any not sure anyone can seriously argue against this

One question for you- if Power got our double up games compared to their ONE top 8 team twice (8th) and 5 non finalists, do you truly believe they would have finished second?

We went 4-1-8 against top 8 sides and 4-6 against bottom 10 sides.

At best we're swapping out a 30% chance for a 40% chance if we got more non finalists

Let's say that instead of getting 13 finalists and 10 non finalist games, we played 9 finalists (all of them once except Port) and the rest were the bottom 10 - so 4 additional easier games

We'd go 4-5 against the finalists based on how we performed this year. Wins against Port, Carlton, GWS and the Dogs

I randomised four new bottom 10 double ups and got Melbourne, Fremantle, St Kilda and West Coast - in addition to Essendon that we already landed.

Those would be Melbourne away, Fremantle at home, St Kilda away and West Coast away based on where we already played them. Maybe we win 2 of those new double ups.

So we'd end up with a 6-8 record against the bottom 10 in my redistributed system.

That's 10 total wins, up from 8. We'd still finish 15th.

Maybe we get super lucky on the doubles and instead of getting Melbourne away we got North at home. We're up to 11 wins and still comfortably missing finals

Our performances this year in general don't suggest we'd make finals with a dream fixture, unless it was ridiculously easy

Fox said 4th. I believe Fox more than the AFL as an independent.
119 posted the Fox link that I used to say 6th

''from easiest to hardest ''

13. Adelaide Crows

14. Hawthorn

15. Collingwood

16. Sydney Swans

17. Port Adelaide

18. Brisbane Lions

Now again explain how Brisbane Port and Sydney finished 1,2 and 5

Well above someone said 6th?
Anyway people need to stop referring to us having the hardest draw, it’s brainless.
The AFL have now admitted we had the hardest. Blind freddy could have told you it was very hard when the fixture was released. We will get a bottom 4 draw next year it will be better. But will our list be better? jury is out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back