Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

119 posted the Fox link that I used to say 6th

''from easiest to hardest ''

13. Adelaide Crows

14. Hawthorn

15. Collingwood

16. Sydney Swans

17. Port Adelaide

18. Brisbane Lions

Now again explain how Brisbane Port and Sydney finished 1,2 and 5
OK fair enough but 4th or 6th is a long way off 10th. Its a whole other bracket.

If any on the rumoured players we are into are correct, and we are going to use the maximum amount of draft picks we can, you'd think he's going to be delisted? Can't see how we will open up the list spots we need for our targets. Strange if that's what we do to Bond.

Which is why keeping Smith and Tex is so stupid. We're not winning a flag with them next year or any other year in the future. We need to get games into players that will be part of a contending group. If Tex's mentoring is so good, why does he need a 5th year with TT and 8th with Fog? And if they're not being retained to play it's even worse, we need those list spots to unearth future best 15 players.

OK fair enough but 4th or 6th is a long way off 10th. Its a whole other bracket.
Stop saying 10

If you want to argue that next year we have the 10th easiest draw then Im right behind you

But this fallacy of saying the afl should have given us the 10th THIS YEAR needs to stop

Which is why keeping Smith and Tex is so stupid. We're not winning a flag with them next year or any other year in the future. We need to get games into players that will be part of a contending group. If Tex's mentoring is so good, why does he need a 5th year with TT and 8th with Fog? And if they're not being retained to play it's even worse, we need those list spots to unearth future best 15 players.
Or at least not sign Tex until we knew the full list potential

If you can’t agree with me that our unprecedentedly difficult draw hindered our W/L ratio let’s leave it as we live in different universes

AFLs own website called it brutal. In 2023, add up the ladder positions of double up games and the hardest draws were for Pies and us AGAIN- we are unlucky (mid 40’s).

This year we finished with 29 playing 1/2/3/5/7. Never happened before from my understanding any not sure anyone can seriously argue against this

One question for you- if Power got our double up games compared to their ONE top 8 team twice (8th) and 5 non finalists, do you truly believe they would have finished second?
The problem with pointing to this as a key indicator of why we're at the bottom is if we had won more games our draw inherently becomes easier. I.e we beat Hawthorn and instead of playing against a top 8 team twice it would be 10th or 11th twice. We lost to Richmond at home. And 6 of the bottom 10 teams. Our draw wasn't the reason we finished 15th.

The AFL have now admitted we had the hardest. Blind freddy could have told you it was very hard when the fixture was released. We will get a bottom 4 draw next year it will be better. But will our list be better? jury is out.
What?
You said yourself 4th other people are saying 6th.

?

Nicks doesn't think Smith is a big part of our future. He knows he's nearly done, that's why he dropped him.

What he said was obviously meaningless and not reflected by his own selections. Future Smith won't be given a 2+ year deal either

So why did Nicks bother? And why did he say that specifically? Why not some other equally meaningless praise?

He said what he said specifically because of the public comments around Smith at the time. The club is acutely aware of public sentiment, they are defensive, sensitive to criticism.

The mindset that the club "wouldn't care" about outside opinions is misguided. If they're winning they don't care. If they're losing they are at the very least strongly aware of what is being said and take steps to minimise criticism.

We've had Roo and Trigg straight up tell supporters to think about changing clubs if they're going to continue to criticise. And yet we've got posters here who actually believe the club doesn't hear criticism? There are none so blind.........

In part I think this is because the club constantly comes across as reactive

By all reports most of the list had good pre-seasons, individually and collectively (well up until the last few weeks)

I doubt anyone had even considered Smith's form falling off of a cliff, particularly when you consider so many players starting the season seemingly out of form

If you watched him closely, he was crap last year. His stats were ok, but his game impact had deserted him. Pretty sure Jeffcrowe and I argued about it a couple of times.

We've drafted a LOT of midfielders. We just haven't had the very early midfield draft pick (unless you include Rankine as that).
I think people bemoaning our midfield, are overlooking the potential of Curtin, Taylor, Edwards, and Pedlar .....Soligo simply couldn't run out games or the season "yet" .....still, he showed the class he'll be able to consistently display ONCE he's AFL hardened

Rankine took too long to get in the midfield .....add all the above, with further development, and it's impressive

Edwards is quick, Rankine .....but add another quick Mid this Draft and .....well, you only need two to step up next year to make a significant difference

Smiths form was actually sliding last season… and he’s never been the same player he was before he did his knee at the end of 2017.. that knee injury took away his one great weapon.. his accurate and supreme long range kicking.

He was also extremely quick over the ground, his loose ball hunting was a weapon. Was just about my favourite player there for a while. Now he's just a receiver that indiscriminately pounds the ball forward, his leg power have vacated him and with that goes confidence to hold onto the ball. It's sad, but we can't afford to blow a list spot on him in 2025. Hawthorn was able to see Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis in other guernseys, we need to grow up as a club.

Ok fair enough, I am certainly more than open to learning more. Are you an employment lawyer or similar?

What are the players then? Are they not employees? Can we not hold them to their contract? My understanding is if a contracted employee - like a player - has a contract then they can be held to their contract but very happy to be proven wrong.

High level staff would all be on fixed term contracts, Burgess no different. Whoever you're responding to has it wrong.

Forget Nicks.

I think everything said in a press conference should be taken with a grain of salt.

Did that actor really love working with their costars?

Does that politician really believe the state has never had a better economy?

Does that cricketer really respect their opposition and everything they bring?

It's just a way of filling column inches. You'd be a fool to tell the world and your opponents everything you really believe.

Did Dawson really train with the mids during the preseason and was it always the plan to play him there?

AB490646-3FF8-4717-8CFA-971392371A17.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been some talk that Cumming not coming to us
Luko is a bit of a long shot - so could easily be the case
Bombers fans seem to think they have Rosa

So who knows - long way to go before trade period

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it certain that Luko has 2 x $1m backloaded years? If so, not many clubs could afford that, even if extendinding to flatten out, it's about $800k over the odds. He's definitely a player I'd like playing as a high half forward and being targeted in transition. But I haven't watched a lot of the Suns, so not sure how bruise free he is.

I do think we got a little unlucky with the timing of some of our fixtures

Eg Melbourne early in the season before they fell apart, Essendon at home when they were red hot, didn't cop any of Brisbane, Collingwood or Hawthorn during their very slow opening rounds, avoided Sydney's slump, played Richmond when they probably fielded their best side of the year, only played Gold Coast away which was a fortress for them as it turned out...

I don't think we copped a single "lucky" game timing wise all year

If you watched him closely, he was crap last year. His stats were ok, but his game impact had deserted him. Pretty sure Jeffcrowe and I argued about it a couple of times.
He was definitely showing signs that he was losing his speed but was holding his own last year

Him and Laird definitely fell off a cliff this year and smith looked out of his depth from round 1 or even pre season games this season , never been a precise kick and without the speed looked panicked

I’ll give you credit for calling it early ✅

More like Petracca finalised wised up and realised his only real option was to stay at Melbourne

No doubt the strategy was for Petrecca to go nuclear and his manager leaked info to the media but now they realise that 1. Carlton and Collingwood don’t have cap space or trade capital to get him in the door, and 2. A contract with 6 years remaining is ridiculously hard to exit

Not a well thought through approach by player and manager

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. There's every chance that he's shaken them up. Look at what's goin* on, the club is in disarray, he's now part of the decision making process.

Is it certain that Luko has 2 x $1m backloaded years? If so, not many clubs could afford that, even if extendinding to flatten out, it's about $800k over the odds. He's definitely a player I'd like playing as a high half forward and being targeted in transition. But I haven't watched a lot of the Suns, so not sure how bruise free he is.
Can smooth it out with a 4 or 5 year deal

Yep I think high forward is the go too

I’ve heard the watts comparisons but how many times did Watts kick bags of 4 and 5 by the time he was Luko age ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back