Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, or do back ended deals seem like Afterpay...just horrible financial management.

Buy now, pay later.
It'll work itself out...right?
Lol, when the club then wants to renegotiate a back ended deal.

Only smart management tool if you are in a premiership window & trying to keep talent in the squad... otherwise silly strategy.

Why offer a F3 if that’s your logic? Shouldn’t we agree to take over his contract and give them a stale packet of chips.

It’s a bit like Rankine two years ago. ANB has been/is a very loyal Melbourne player. He does not want the MFC to be screwed over. They would like him to stay for one more year to assist in the stabilisation of the club. If we are unreasonable then there is a chance that things could fall apart. A few things have not gone our way (loss of interest from other clubs with Berry and Himmelberg, Keane deal) and ANB is not a high priority for us. My friend expects it to be done but said it’s not over until the contract is signed.

The really bad thing is that if we don’t get ANB then Ned might be around for another year 🙄.
The difference is ANB will retire if he isn't traded and it doesn't look like we chased him so why wouldn't they just accept a F3 provided we absorb a majority of his 2 years remaining contract.

If it looks like a Bowes deal and smells like a Bowes deal....
Exactly this is how we should be negotiating with the Suns, we have the leverage.

Offering F2 which I have suggested is overs, if anything Luko with that huge contract and the Suns needing salary cap relief, we should be getting instead a F2 ourselves at the very least.

If our Club had any credibility F2 is what should be offered at most.

Doesn't play a physical brand

Weighing up whether to take a pay cut

Back ended contract creates challenges for clubs to assess his value.

3 things the Suns definitely would NOT want published about the player they are trying to trade.

If it looks like a Bowes deal and smells like a Bowes deal....
Any club interested in Lukosius would be offering a longer contract with that $1.9mil smoothed out. For Jack, he may be thinking, if I have to take a pay cut over the next 2 years, I might as well stay where I am with a pay cut.

Any club interested in Lukosius would be offering a longer contract with that $1.9mil smoothed out. For Jack, he may be thinking, if I have to take a pay cut over the next 2 years, I might as well stay where I am with a pay cut.
Kind of get the impression he'd likely be playing VFL next year though if he stayed

Seems he isn't preferred in their forward line and Hardwick seems intent on bringing in and playing Rioli and/or perhaps Noble at HB

WILL MONEY SCUPPER ANY LUKOSIUS MOVE?

Jack Lukosius will have to consider whether to take a pay cut or move to a second club as his back-ended contract creates challenges for clubs assessing his value.

The 24-year-old Gold Coast swingman has been told he can assess his options but would ideally love to stay on the coast with his mates under coach Damien Hardwick.

Clubs chasing Lukosius believe he is yet to fully commit to actually moving to a new club and might even be keen to stay even if it costs him financially.

He has two more years of a back-ended deal that averages out at about $850,000 but hits around $950,000 in the next two years.

He could volunteer to take less money — potentially for the security of another season.

But with the Suns in contract negotiations with a bevy of star players it would create valuable salary cap room if he did move on.

Key defenders Sam Collins and Mac Andrew are contracted for 2025 but in talks on new deals, with Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard also contracted for another year but sure to sign extensions.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide have interest in Lukosius, who does not play a physical brand of football but kicked 39.22 last year.

He would also add some silky delivery to the Crows forward line as he used his foot skills to deliver the ball to Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty.

The Suns are hopeful they will sign strong-bodied midfielder Alex Davies on a two-year deal despite interest from clubs including Collingwood.
What are they on about? He already has two highly-paid years left on his contract. If he decides to stay, he doesn't have to take any salary cut. Of course, if he does that, he will be persona non grata at the end of the contract.

Why would Luko take a pay cut? If his contract is back ended, then he’s already taken his pay cut.

He’ll take full value for these last 2 years that he’s entitled to. Year 3 he’ll take what the market gets him.

Still trying to work out whose benefit that story serves.

Except in this scenario (supposedly) GC want to shift him now so he's off their books, and he has to agree to the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why would he agree to anything less
There's a train of thought from some parts that you could perhaps look at what's left of his existing contract and incorporate it into a new longer contract

Ie: in a simplistic form of 2 years @ $1.9M now to say 5 years @ $3.75M

He's still only 24

Exactly this is how we should be negotiating with the Suns, we have the leverage.

Offering F2 which I have suggested is overs, if anything Luko with that huge contract and the Suns needing salary cap relief, we should be getting instead a F2 ourselves at the very least.

If our Club had any credibility F2 is what should be offered at most.

Geelong went to GC about Luko and assumed it was like a Bowes salary dump deal, they were quickly told NO

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a train of thought from some parts that you could perhaps look at what's left of his existing contract and incorporate it into a new longer contract

He's still only 24
That's still GCS needing to dump salary and JL needing to agree to which club he goes to. In your other proposed scenario (JL and GC decide mutually for him to stay), he stays for 5 years with a club who have said they don't want him, and GC still have to pay almost 800k a year to a player they just dropped for 2 weeks when they're facing a huge cap crunch.

I honestly think GC have shown all their cards here - even if they're desperate to play it any other way than the Bowes situation, it still feels like a salary dump and that gives them a weak hand.

He's still only 24
That’s 3 years @ $1.85m or $600k per year. If I was him I’d back myself to be worth more than $600k per year in 3 years time when I’m a free agent. He could be worth $1m per year if he gets it together. Why settle for a contract at its lowest point?

I remember when a friend of mine’s best mate was on The Bachelor. We all thought we had the inside scoop and placed $1-2k bets on the winner, only for him to be completely wrong! Even when you think you’ve got a source close to the action, half the time they’re still so far removed from the truth that it’s just fluff.
There are always a lot of moving parts with these things

That's still GCS needing to dump salary and JL needing to agree to which club he goes to. In your other proposed scenario (JL and GC decide mutually for him to stay), he stays for 5 years with a club who have said they don't want him, and GC still have to pay almost 800k a year to a player they just dropped for 2 weeks when they're facing a huge cap crunch.

I honestly think GC have shown all their cards here - even if they're desperate to play it any other way than the Bowes situation, it still feels like a salary dump and that gives them a weak hand.
I doubt GC want to keep him on the books for 2 more years playing in the 2's with $1.9M left to earn

And I doubt JL would want to stay there under those circumstances. And I doubt either GC or JL would be interested in restructuring his contract along the lines another club approaching would

My guess is the a new club would need to sell JL a vision of what his future and role would look like to get him interested. TBF, he's only really spent 1 full season playing as a forward. The rest of the time he seems to have been yo-yo-ed from HB to wing to KPF and back again

The article does GC or JL no favours

Not as bad as Bowes, not great though

If I'm honest, I'm probably more interested in Rosas for some reason right now

I doubt GC want to keep him on the books for 2 more years playing in the 2's with $1.9M left to earn

And I doubt JL would want to stay there under those circumstances. And I doubt either GC or JL would be interested in restructuring his contract along the lines another club approaching would

My guess is the a new club would need to sell JL a vision of what his future and role would look like to get him interested. TBF, he's only really spent 1 full season playing as a forward. The rest of the time he seems to have been yo-yo-ed from HB to wing to KPF and back again

The article does GC or JL no favours

Not as bad as Bowes, not great though

If I'm honest, I'm probably more interested in Rosas for some reason right now

This just feels like Hardwick going up there has ruined his plans of just coasting through off Broadway up there.

That’s 3 years @ $1.85m or $600k per year. If I was him I’d back myself to be worth more than $600k per year in 3 years time when I’m a free agent. He could be worth $1m per year if he gets it together. Why settle for a contract at its lowest point?
Or 5 years @ $750

I was really just making up numbers to use as an example

I understand the back yourself in part. And sure it's an option. I continue to get the impression though that he's not going to be a first choice 22 going forward

To me it seems more like the Adam Treloar scenario, though GC probably don't have quite the same TTP pressure Collingwood did. Though interesting that articles floating $1.5M long term contracts for Mac Andrew have dropped in the last few days as well. Not to mention other players like Rowell coming out of contract next year as well (I think)

This just feels like Hardwick going up there has ruined his plans of just coasting through off Broadway up there.
Yeah, sounds like he's been pretty happy up there to date

I don't watch them much. Is he really just cruising through his career, or that just how he is?

Or would he really be better off in our system playing at HF or a FP?

Yeah, sounds like he's been pretty happy up there to date

I don't watch them much. Is he really just cruising through his career, or that just how he is?

Or would he really be better off in our system playing at HF or a FP?

If Hardwick is inviting him to leave, that's enough for me.

If he had an aerial game I'd be more interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back