Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sport is all about peaking at the right time.

Olympic athletes train to be at the peak of their fitness and form at the exact moments to ensure maximum chances of success in the big events (worlds, olympics, comm games etc.).

I remember being told around the time of the 97/98 that the bulk of the credit behind the scenes for the 97/98 GF victories was given to Neil Craig who had the team peak at exactly the tight time.. scrape into the final 8 but with a team on the cusp of top fitness and form.

most of the credit from joe public obviously went to Blighty..
While this is true there was some mayo put on by Blight

He wanted other teams to be beaten before they started so said '' we are so fit we will outrun you at the end''

I think people are severely underestimating Luko. Was pretty damn good last year in an average side. Still only 24, and bigger guys take a little longer. Worth a 1st rounder easy. We could be cursing ourselves for playing hard ball and trying to get a bargain.

We were saying the same about rankine... imagine if we missed him.

I also feel with Draper in the pack of players possibly drafted from pick 3 to 10, we could see a live trade situation, drop from 4th to 7th and net a 2nd rounder in the process. If Draper is available at 4 I expect the phones to be running hot

I think people are severely underestimating Luko. Was pretty damn good last year in an average side. Still only 24, and bigger guys take a little longer. Worth a 1st rounder easy. We could be cursing ourselves for playing hard ball and trying to get a bargain.

I also feel with Draper in the pack of players possibly drafted from pick 3 to 10, we could see a live trade situation, drop from 4th to 7th and net a 2nd rounder in the process. If Draper is available at 4 I expect the phones to be running hot

Nailed it - some common sense

The chirps was so loud that we over-paid for Izak, and we hear crickets 🦗 now, and Izak still has so much upside.

Back to Luko - people have way over analysed Luko being dropped late in the year.

The guy has played 116 games since being drafted, this is unbelievable for a player of his size, some of the best talls didn’t play 116 games in their first 5 years.

The talent is there, the foundation in building AFL experience is there, he’s been at a club that has not developed talent well or played finals, and wherever he lands I think he will make GC regret the decision

In terms of accessing the trade, that assessment happens in 3-4 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You certainly have good knowledge so credit where it’s due. Never had an account “here” - on BF do you mean? Or just on the crows forum previously? Personally after 20 ish years I must say it’s quite “exceptional” to have posted almost 300 times in one full day of posting. You must have a lot of “pent up” things to say or express perhaps and it’s probably a good time between the lull of a Poort WIN and their upcoming LOSS

Ever worked in journalism old mate?
Your obsession in uncovering who and what people are on here is kind of weird.

Your obsession in uncovering who and what people are on here is kind of weird.
thats cool. the key relevant people on this board know that it has been infiltrated at times by imposters including a previous high profile media personality. i have said my thing and blocked them so nothing else from me but you dont need to be einstein to work things out and see the truth. over and out

If Luko is half smart he would fully understand that playing in a forward line where he can hide his softness behind Fog will work in his favour.
Luko playing in Ports forward line is deer in headlights stuff as he will be forced to do heavy lifting with Dixon gone.
Luko as a third tall behind Fog and Filthy is his best spot, if he can't see that he can have fun at Port.

If Luko is half smart he would fully understand that playing in a forward line where he can hide his softness behind Fog will work in his favour.
Luko playing in Ports forward line is deer in headlights stuff as he will be forced to do heavy lifting with Dixon gone.
Luko as a third tall behind Fog and Filthy is his best spot, if he can't see that he can have fun at Port.
He can probably see it, and the large pay packet.

He'll be a better player wherever he goes TBH.

Problem is even pick 10-12 is way overs for Luko.

He is worth a pick somewhere around 20-30.
I agree, but the conversation was that we'd be getting back GC's 2024 or 2025 2nd rounder with Luko which softens the blow. If it's a F1 for Luko only then that's way overs and we shouldn't do it.

Aggressive would also be delisting a bunch of players who are never going to make it. McHenry, Jones, Shoenberg, Hamill, Himmelberg, Parnell, Burgess, Gollant etc. We know where their limits are, and its solid SANFL standard. If any of those players play AFL next year, you know we are in trouble.

Clear the decks of the deadwood and aggressively approach some young talent with more upside.
Presumably 5 or 6 of those are gone this year, The rest are probably gone next year.

Problem is even pick 10-12 is way overs for Luko.

He is worth a pick somewhere around 20-30.
Our F1 is more than likely to be a Top 5 pick, which again is way overs for Luko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot agree with you more here on Luko, so much upside, worth a F1 of some sort.
And imagine if we missed Dawson also!
We've got to keep getting known elite talent to the club and finally start contending again.

Nailed it - some common sense

The chirps was so loud that we over-paid for Izak, and we hear crickets 🦗 now, and Izak still has so much upside.

Back to Luko - people have way over analysed Luko being dropped late in the year.

The guy has played 116 games since being drafted, this is unbelievable for a player of his size, some of the best talls didn’t play 116 games in their first 5 years.

The talent is there, the foundation in building AFL experience is there, he’s been at a club that has not developed talent well or played finals, and wherever he lands I think he will make GC regret the decision

In terms of accessing the trade, that assessment happens in 3-4 years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it's unfair to bundle everyone as whinging on previous trades. I personally rated Betts, Dawson and Rankine highly during those trade periods. Higher than most. I was happy to pay what we did.

Luko I like the potential but I have some hesitations. Zero with the other 3.

Hesitations:
  • needs : we have higher needs elsewhere so any HIGH end pick should be used on those needs first - this is my main concern
  • $$ : he's coming in on large dollars for a semi-proven player
  • gc situation : he's being booted in a salary cap dump and the coach doesn't like the way he plays football

I feel fair value is pick 25 onwards.

Worth a F1 pick though ??
That would depend on several factors i.e salary we pay over say a 4 year deal and whether we receive sweetener/s back either for the 2024 or 2025's draft.

That would depend on several factors i.e salary we pay over say a 4 year deal and whether we receive sweetener/s back either for the 2024 or 2025's draft.

I agree with this.

F1 with 13 coming back I do the trade
F1 with 20 coming back I'm getting nervous
F1 with 26 coming back I'm not doing

Some serious underrating of what Luko's precision kicking could mean to our team whether employed back/forward or wing.
I hear this comment every Draft period ....elite kick, and it sees players rise up the draft board .....BUT ..you can't kick the ball if you can't win the ball yourself

And in Finals, it's players like Luko that let you down .....Hardwick is no fool ....he was also correct on Mabior Chol, ditched him at RICH, immediately ditched him at GC .....and lo & behold, is a focus again, for the same reasons at HAW

Hardwick wants Luko out .....he knows soft bigmen are poison

I hear this comment every Draft period ....elite kick, and it sees players rise up the draft board .....BUT ..you can't kick the ball if you can't win the ball yourself

And in Finals, it's players like Luko that let you down .....Hardwick is no fool ....he was also correct on Mabior Chol, ditched him at RICH, immediately ditched him at GC .....and lo & behold, is a focus again, for the same reasons at HAW

And yet he picked him again after dropping him for a week.

The Suns have a glut of talent, theyre largely pushing him out because he's good but not worth what he's paid.

He will thrive away from then, like almost every other player who has left them has done.... almost.

Luko will find plenty of the ball if he's not expected to play as Key Position player...I'm playing him wing roaming between the arcs/high half forward. Tall wingman in the style of Isaac Smith.

If Luko comes to Adelaide I'd be highly surprised it would be in a Key Position role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back