Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So if today’s rumour of Dusty to Gold Coast being a done deal prove correct, then I’m expecting a draft stitch up by Richmond, GCS & the AFL.

Meaning Dusty will get a 2 year deal on paper sufficient to get first round (or at a very minimum mid-first round) compo for Richmond. This would seem well over to me for a half-cooked 33yo who is likely being sought for marketing more than footballing purposes.

I’m expecting our current Pick 5 to slip to the dreaded Pick 6 and for one of our prime midfield targets to be wearing yellow & black next year.

So if today’s rumour of Dusty to Gold Coast being a done deal prove correct, then I’m expecting a draft stitch up by Richmond, GCS & the AFL.

Meaning Dusty will get a 2 year deal on paper sufficient to get first round (or at a very minimum mid-first round) compo for Richmond. This would seem well over to me for a half-cooked 33yo who is likely being sought for marketing more than footballing purposes.

I’m expecting our current Pick 5 to slip to the dreaded Pick 6 and for one of our prime midfield targets to be wearing yellow & black next year.
Doubt it.

I'm angry we burned pick 6 on McAsey. That is real.
Well fair enough (even if the pick did make sense at the time), but we've well and truly recovered that since with the acquisitions of Worrell, Butts, Murray and Keane. There is no world that any club is trading pick 5 for Petty, so I don't see a particular need to get angry over something that will never happen.

Twomey suggesting Collingwood interested in Keane

Crows dropped out of Perryman race port in front to sign if he doesn’t go there he will stay despite hawthorns raid last week

Crows may be looking at Nick Bryan and certainly Sam Draper next year

Crows could still be interested in lukosious

Petty on radar but may wait till next year when he is free agent

Crows dropped out of Perryman race port in front of not he will stay despite hawthorns raid last week

They also very briefly glossed over Isaac Cumming without going into many specifics about which clubs might be interested

Crows dropped out of Perryman race port in front to sign if he doesn’t go there he will stay despite hawthorns raid last week

Surely our dollars are going somewhere?
Or are again coming to the realisation the players we need just happen to already be here?

There is zero chance at all that Richmond get a first round compo for Dustin Martin.

His GC offer is 2yrs @ 500k. Band 4 at absolute most, if anything at all.

There is zero chance at all that Richmond get a first round compo for Dustin Martin.

His GC offer is 2yrs @ 500k. Band 4 at absolute most, if anything at all.
North Melbourne priority pick would be the worry IMO.
St Kilda surely don't get band one for Josh Battle.

The club has also been vocal about acquiring player(S) and they were steering away from the draft.
How true that is we shall see I guess.

Could see a world where we trade away our 2024 and 2025 firsts for Phillipou and Lukosius, with role players like Berry and Keane involved.
I'd rather we wait on Lukosius if it means taking a mid at pick 5 this year though or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very Very unlikely. Clubs would have a range that they think Crows would finish in next year, lets say 12th-6th or something. Clubs aren't going to trade at the bottom value of that, it will always be the higher. Do you not remember Gold Coast trying to get rid of their guaranteed Pick 10 to ANYONE who would take it, and it wasn't until Geelong's pick 21 or something that they finally offloaded it. Getting a player in sooner has value in of itself, so clubs are usually reluctant to part with picks they currently have, particularly in the 1st round, and especially for picks heading into the next year that are an unknown.
True, except we have Freo and GCS who both will be looking for 2nd first rounders in 2025 (Freo for a possible Warner trade, GCS to build capital as they have too much in this year).

I love your range for possible Crows finish, here's hoping.

Highly doubtful considering Age is a factor in determining Compensation.

True, except we have Freo and GCS who both will be looking for 2nd first rounders in 2025 (Freo for a possible Warner trade, GCS to build capital as they have too much in this year).

I love your range for possible Crows finish, here's hoping.

Geez you're throwing in some hypotheticals there..

Well fair enough (even if the pick did make sense at the time), but we've well and truly recovered that since with the acquisitions of Worrell, Butts, Murray and Keane. There is no world that any club is trading pick 5 for Petty, so I don't see a particular need to get angry over something that will never happen.
No we haven’t, we could have still scored all those players and used McAseys pick on a decent player, they are independent of each other

Who in the world is going to give us 2 first rounders for pick 5.....
i'm not fully sold on Phillipou....

why trade Berry as well.... we should throw in Murphy, Ned or Gollant as steak knives.
I think splitting pick 5 for say pick 10 and 18 or something is very reasonable.

I just see Berry as surplus to our needs if we are serious about climbing the ladder, of course I would throw in all of the above too but they are bascially worth less than steak knives.

I think splitting pick 5 for say pick 10 and 18 or something is very reasonable.

I just see Berry as surplus to our needs if we are serious about climbing the ladder, of course I would throw in all of the above too but they are bascially worth less than steak knives.
Agree steak knives is generous, butter knives

This is just the kind of thing we should NOT be doing. We need an elite midfielder. Those types are usually around at pick #5 and gone by #10. This is a seriously BAD suggestion.

** I'm not against trading Berry, though I think there's very little chance of it happening if he doesn't proactively request a trade. What I am against is splitting pick #5 into picks #10 & 18 (or similar).

We need elite mids.
Philipou doesnt look like one at the moment.
Petty isnt one, nor is he elite - or a need
Lukosius isn't one, nor is he elite - or a need
Using our first rounder (~pick 5) on any of these guys will just continue the cycle we are already in, where we have a woeful midfield that exposes the defence and forwards and makes them all look worse than they are. We CANNOT use it for anything other than an elite midfielder. I'd consider a pick swap with our future first to get a second top 10 pick to use on another midfielder well before any of the above guys.
Cumming would be useful to provide more drive off half back, and costs us nothing except $$$.

Back