Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This Phillipou chat kinda reminds me of the year before we traded for Rankine. His trade value had seemingly tanked and had been dropped by a terrible GC side. Remember people in here saying a mid 2nd was overs for him.

I'm not saying it's apples and apples, however it certainly stings a bit when 12 months later he's getting pick 5 in a trade (and trade media think thats unders).

And 18 months after that he's literally our best player and probably worth multiple 1sts in trade.

Again Phillipou has a long way to travel to even approach Izak. But if a buy low opportunity arose, I'd kick the tires.
Rankine's finish to the season was always worth around pick 10, had he done that for the entire season then definitely worth pick 5 which he has now proven he is easily worth and arguably another pick 10 given how he has moved into the midfield.
1719991403560.png

Phillipou would be a great get, 190cm young bull with exposure at AFL.

Pick 10 a couple of years ago, probably worth about the same now.

Is he a more proven entity than a current top 5? Probably, but we should do everything to trade something else.

Berry was pick 26 (Crouch compensation pick ironically).

We also have Gollant. I wonder if Milera might want to join his cousin? Schoenberg might be on the table? Sholl and Hamil are worth something.

With Keane on another year, if he wants to leave we might get a Collingwood pick, can't be a first though can it?

Wasn't there a rumour that one of the 2023 draft haul wasn't fitting in well (not Curtin)?

If we could trade down with say Gold Coast who are looking to go up or out, probably up given they have a possible pick 1 in 2025, they might look at a trade such as pick 4 and 27 (30 after compensation) for pick 8 and 10 (9 and 11 after compensation).

This equates to us giving up 2687 points for 2737 and Gold Coast get a pick before Leo Lombard - so they would be super keen.

We then use 8 for a sliding Draper and 10 for Phillipou.

Berry and future first for Phillipou?
Take a mid with our first. Lalor?
Welsh FS with points.
Free agent Perryman.
Swap Keane for Petty (if true Keane wants out). If not happy to keep Keane.

That’d be a good offseason.

Then next year target Goad, Wanganeen-Milera and another free agent.
There's no way we can swap keane for petty... Petty is an upgrade on every way...

This is just the kind of thing we should NOT be doing. We need an elite midfielder. Those types are usually around at pick #5 and gone by #10. This is a seriously BAD suggestion.

** I'm not against trading Berry, though I think there's very little chance of it happening if he doesn't proactively request a trade. What I am against is splitting pick #5 into picks #10 & 18 (or similar).
Depends if the trade gets you Draper and Phillipou. You would have to consider that, even if it feels very unlikely

I hope we haven’t dropped out of the race for Perryman, even though you have to overpay to get him, not having to use any trade capital is massive, him and Cumming next year would be amazing.

Our first pick cannot be on the table and has to be for a midfielder, I’d love for us to use our first next year for another first this year, with a few teams looking to trade their first out in Carlton, BL or GCS there’s a great chance this year before they change all the access rules next year.

If we end up with pick 5 & 10 before a bid for Welsh that would be ideal, but I doubt St Kilda are letting Phillapou go this year no matter the circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we haven’t dropped out of the race for Perryman, even though you have to overpay to get him, not having to use any trade capital is massive, him and Cumming next year would be amazing.

Our first pick cannot be on the table and has to be for a midfielder, I’d love for us to use our first next year for another first this year, with a few teams looking to trade their first out in Carlton, BL or GCS there’s a great chance this year before they change all the access rules next year.

If we end up with pick 5 & 10 before a bid for Welsh that would be ideal, but I doubt St Kilda are letting Phillapou go this year no matter the circumstances.
Perryman appears to be heading to the Hawks for $800k pa.

We need to be going hard for Cummings.

Depends if the trade gets you Draper and Phillipou. You would have to consider that, even if it feels very unlikely
If we could turn our 1st into draper and Phillipou, that is start the car and run territory..made out like bandits. I think that to get one of the best mids a drop from 5 might push us out of that range. I'd be looking at bringing in our F1 and looking at trading it with a side looking to trade out to try and get a pick around 8-10 for Phillipou and if needs be, we also include Berry in the deal.

IF we landed Phillipou, Draper and grabbed Welsh and a project ruck late, thats as good a trade / draft hand as we could have hoped in terms of addressing a major need in midfield, bringing in a young ruck to develop and getting Welsh as that next generation forward. A decent FA ruck would have also been a real positive too and maybe Isaac Cumming as a free agent too.

A contracted Phillipou would take a pointy end first rounder you'd think

An uncontracted Berry would only be steak knives.

I doubt we'd give up 5 for Phillipou. And St Kilda's pick is too close to ours for a swap to have any great value.

Can't see how it can get done.

Berry + 2nd round pick for Phillipou + 3rd round pick might be about right?

Phillipou, Welsh and using our Pick 5 on a gun mid this draft - I wouldn't be devastated with.
More likely swap of future 1st with a 2nd.

I would be trying to get Marshall too, as would make a huge difference to our midfield set-up... if rumours are true he wants out.

Back