Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

More likely swap of future 1st with a 2nd.

I would be trying to get Marshall too, as would make a huge difference to our midfield set-up... if rumours are true he wants out.

St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall has reassured the club he has no intention of leaving as part of a shock trade move.
Marshall, 28, was reported to be considering his future at the club which prompted the star big man to set the record straight with senior officials this week.
The big man, who is contracted until the end of 2027 at Moorabbin, told the club he was surprised by the trade link and was adamant he was not interested in a move.
The ruckman is one of the club’s most important and highest-paid players after signing a five-year contract extension in 2022.

He finished third in the best-and-fairest last year once again showcasing his durability playing 24 matches after finishing runner-up in 2019.
The trade speculation shut down will come as a welcome news to Saints fans this week as the club prepares to take on Port Adelaide which has been stung by last weekend’s thrashing from Brisbane Lions and pressure on its coach Ken Hinkley.

St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall has reassured the club he has no intention of leaving as part of a shock trade move.
Marshall, 28, was reported to be considering his future at the club which prompted the star big man to set the record straight with senior officials this week.
The big man, who is contracted until the end of 2027 at Moorabbin, told the club he was surprised by the trade link and was adamant he was not interested in a move.
The ruckman is one of the club’s most important and highest-paid players after signing a five-year contract extension in 2022.

He finished third in the best-and-fairest last year once again showcasing his durability playing 24 matches after finishing runner-up in 2019.
The trade speculation shut down will come as a welcome news to Saints fans this week as the club prepares to take on Port Adelaide which has been stung by last weekend’s thrashing from Brisbane Lions and pressure on its coach Ken Hinkley.
Give him a deal that he & his manager can't refuse.

Would make a heck of a difference to our team.

Phillipou would be a great get, 190cm young bull with exposure at AFL.

Pick 10 a couple of years ago, probably worth about the same now.

Is he a more proven entity than a current top 5? Probably, but we should do everything to trade something else.

Berry was pick 26 (Crouch compensation pick ironically).

We also have Gollant. I wonder if Milera might want to join his cousin? Schoenberg might be on the table? Sholl and Hamil are worth something.

With Keane on another year, if he wants to leave we might get a Collingwood pick, can't be a first though can it?

Wasn't there a rumour that one of the 2023 draft haul wasn't fitting in well (not Curtin)?

I don’t think people appreciate what we have in Keane as either a developing player or indeed his value if he does want to go. Call it dumb luck getting him but he has only played 24 games of AFL is 24 y/o 194 cm and pushing 100 kgs .
He is still learning the game and has intercepted as well as Jake Lever this year.
I hope we keep him but I don’t see why not a late first rounder.

IMG_1841.jpeg

I don’t think people appreciate what we have in Keane as either a developing player or indeed his value if he does want to go. Call it dumb luck getting him but he has only played 24 games of AFL is 24 y/o 194 cm and pushing 100 kgs .
He is still learning the game and has intercepted as well as Jake Lever this year.

View attachment 2037749
Yeah, he's a keeper.

He's under contract, so Pies can **** off!

Phillipou might be a good player, but so might a top 5 draft pick
Or could be McAsey, people put too much value on draft pricks without knowing what talent is available.

Top of the draft is pretty even, some club are either gonna pick the wrong guy or don't have good enough development coaches to extract full potential.

Elite mids don't grow on trees. Very rarely are they plug and play

If it's a Vic kid as soon as they show any type of potential there are clubs throwing massive money at them. Just look at Reid, there's no way he's staying at West Coast for 7 or more years.

The market has shifted, any really talented player can pick whatever club they want to play for now after a year in the system. The AFL should have blocked that JHF deal because now every top 5 player going to an interstate club knows they can leave and go to whatever club they want after one year in the system and make bank.

Or could be McAsey, people put too much value on draft pricks without knowing what talent is available.

Top of the draft is pretty even, some club are either gonna pick the wrong guy or don't have good enough development coaches to extract full potential.

If it's a Vic kid as soon as they show any type of potential there are clubs throwing massive money at them. Just look at Reid, there's no way he's staying at West Coast for 7 or more years.

The market has shifted, any really talented player can pick whatever club they want to play for now after a year in the system. The AFL should have blocked that JHF deal because now every top 5 player going to an interstate club knows they can leave and go to whatever club they want after one year in the system and make bank.

My point is more that Phillipou is not a proven player. He's as unproven as most draft picks

McAsey was not the type of player we needed at the time.
A pick 5 in this year's draft should be good. If he be a Vic kid, you need to make him part of the culture. I worry what Hamish will pick though. Interstate recruiters seem to have more luck and knowledge on players value.

My point is more that Phillipou is not a proven player. He's as unproven as most draft picks
Is he though?
We’ve seen what he can do.
He’s obviously a confidence player and he’s a person with a lot of confidence, I’d be very bullish he could turn his form around in a environment where he was happy (if he wants to come home)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2037749
Has been good for sure but you have to give to get and this looks like a draft we should be getting more involved in. We have precious little worth trading, a surfeit of tall defenders, Keane’s easily our weakest defensively and seems to want to be in Melbourne. Might be a win/win/win.

Who in the world is going to give us 2 first rounders for pick 5.....
i'm not fully sold on Phillipou....

why trade Berry as well.... we should throw in Murphy, Ned or Gollant as steak knives.

Gold Coast trade picks 4, 46, 51 and a future third round pick to the Western Bulldogs for picks 10, 17 and and the Dogs’ future first-round pick.

Why would you give up a player and first for Phillipou? Yes has talent for sure, but so do hundreds of kids. Right now he's playing 2nds for a bottom 4 side so you're not going to give up more for him than he was drafted for.

Perryman isn't coming here if Hawks are offering 4M over 5 years. Solid player but damn, he aint worth that and we shouldn't be in that bidding war.

Think we have better uses for the Keane pick - if it materializes - than another key defender. We know Petty isn't great forward and not sure he displaces any of Murray, Worrell or Butts. Injuries and trades happen for sure but right now, tall defenders are at the bottom of our list of needs.

So who should we bring in if not Perryman? What’s a better use of a Keane pick (rather than keeping him)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McAsey was not the type of player we needed at the time.
A pick 5 in this year's draft should be good. If he be a Vic kid, you need to make him part of the culture. I worry what Hamish will pick though. Interstate recruiters seem to have more luck and knowledge on players value.
No one ever needs a KPD with a top end pick in the draft.

No one ever needs a KPD with a top end pick in the draft.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

So who should we bring in if not Perryman? What’s a better use of a Keane pick (rather than keeping him)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe we get Cumming as a free agent, be an upgrade on Jones and Sholl on the wing. I’d rather hang on to draft picks than trade this year unless it was a big win trade that didn’t involve defender or a grunt mid.

If we get a pick for Keane, I’d bundle that up with our current 2nd to get another pick ahead of a bid for Welsh and look at one of the small forwards like Kako.

Our focus should be mids with speed and foot skills, small forward and ruck.

Maybe we get Cumming as a free agent, be an upgrade on Jones and Sholl on the wing. I’d rather hang on to draft picks than trade this year unless it was a big win trade that didn’t involve defender or a grunt mid.

If we get a pick for Keane, I’d bundle that up with our current 2nd to get another pick ahead of a bid for Welsh and look at one of the small forwards like Kako.

Our focus should be mids with speed and foot skills, small forward and ruck.
We don't have a current second, but Melbourne's is starting to look good.

Given to GWS so we could go up the order to get Curtin on draft night
Ahh, gees I hope we figure out how to use him, he’s cost us Wilson, Goad and a decent second rounder. Then there’s the quality mid who would have been available with West Coasts first this year. I wanted to do that deal at the time and after watching what we are doing with Curtin, definitely would have, even with them finishing 16th not bottom.

Back