Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 11, last 22nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 121 87.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Way way before Taylor Goad This is a very advanced talent both skills wise and physically, I could see no reason why he wouldn't be ready to have an input at AFL level in 2026.
That would be impressive for a ruckman. They normally take a couple of extra years to develop.

For comparison, ROB took over from Jacobs in 2019, at age 23. There's a fair argument that he was ready to do so in 2018 (age 22), but was held back by the club's usual conservative selection policies. You're talking about Dodson being ready to take the reins at age 19?

That would be impressive for a ruckman. They normally take a couple of extra years to develop.

For comparison, ROB took over from Jacobs in 2019, at age 23. There's a fair argument that he was ready to do so in 2018 (age 22), but was held back by the club's usual conservative selection policies. You're talking about Dodson being ready to take the reins at age 19?
Go watch some footage then get back to me, if he chooses football he will be the next Luke Jackson.
Luke Jackson would have played ruck much earlier at the Dees too but unlike us they had a bloke called Max Gawn.

Another footballer/basketballer Brodie Grundy played plenty of ruck for Collingwood in his 2nd year.

Go watch some footage then get back to me, if he chooses football he will be the next Luke Jackson.
Luke Jackson would have played ruck much earlier at the Dees too but unlike us they had a bloke called Max Gawn.

Another footballer/basketballer Brodie Grundy played plenty of ruck for Collingwood in his 2nd year.
Ease up on the passive/aggressive crap. I'm not having a go at you. Just pointing out that it's unusual for a ruckman to be ready for that level of responsibility at such an early age. Yes, there are counter-examples, who have been ready at that age - but they are a very small minority.

If he is ready to go at that age then he would be in a small minority, and would be a top prospect indeed.

Where do you see him being taken in the draft? Assuming our 1st pick is used on an elite midfielder, and our 2nd is used for matching a Welsh bid, do you see him still being available at our 3rd round pick?

Hypothetically, how long does a player need to be out of the game before they're eligible for cat b rookie status?
They can't have been registered or played in any AFL-affiliated league for 3 years.

This is covered in para 10.5 in the AFL Rules document:
10.5 Listing Prior to Selection Meeting
(a) A Club may include on its Rookie List by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 34 or 34A:
(ii) a Player(s) who has not been registered or played in an Australian football competition for 3 years immediately before his inclusion on the Rookie List,

Last edited:
Ease up on the passive/aggressive crap. I'm not having a go at you. Just pointing out that it's unusual for a ruckman to be ready for that level of responsibility at such an early age. Yes, there are counter-examples, who have been ready at that age - but they are a very small minority.

If he is ready to go at that age then he would be in a small minority, and would be a top prospect indeed.

Where do you see him being taken in the draft? Assuming our 1st pick is used on an elite midfielder, and our 2nd is used for matching a Welsh bid, do you see him still being available at our 3rd round pick?
Nope, hence why I said "whatever it takes"...

Quite possibly 1st round given he's clearly the best ruck prospect in a draft with a real dearth of draftable rucks, Logan Smith the only other that's really rated.
So we need to find another 1st round pick. Any suggestions for how we achieve that? I don't want to see us splitting pick 4 (or whatever it turns out to be), given our desperate need for an elite midfielder.

Keane is probably worth a late 1st round pick, given that he's contracted and has shown a fair bit in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, Collingwood don't have a 2024 1st round pick, and their 2025 1st wouldn't be much use in grabbing Dodson in the 2024 ND.

So we need to find another 1st round pick. Any suggestions for how we achieve that? I don't want to see us splitting pick 4 (or whatever it turns out to be), given our desperate need for an elite midfielder.

Keane is probably worth a late 1st round pick, given that he's contracted and has shown a fair bit in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, Collingwood don't have a 2024 1st round pick, and their 2025 1st wouldn't be much use in grabbing Dodson in the 2024 ND.
Many good midfield prospects in this draft, you pick the ones that will become elite, no doubt there will be at least several. I doubt there will be any AFL recruiters with the same say top 10 players on their draft board given how even this crop of mids look in the top 10 or so. Picking the right ones will be no easy task in this draft.

Many good midfield prospects in this draft, you pick the ones that will become elite, no doubt there will be at least several. I doubt there will be any AFL recruiters with the same say top 10 players on their draft board given how even this crop of mids look in the top 10 or so. Picking the right ones will be no easy task in this draft.
Or knowing us, we'll just draft another defender with our pick.

Which doesn't answer the question I asked - how we obtain a late 1st round pick, with which to draft Dodson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or knowing us, we'll just draft another defender with our pick.
We'll draft a TOP 5 midfielder, but then said midfielder will play full back and half forward for a year in the 2's before said coaching group come to the realisation he is a MIDFIELDER.

I Got It Party GIF by Red Fang

Unless we really get creative with pick swaps (which we've been good at, but the pending changes to pick value make it tricky this year) or put a guy like Berry on the table and then package together whatever we get for him and Himmelberg, the only way I see it happening is by trading our 2025 1st. Maybe something like 2025 1st + the Himmelberg compo pick gets someone interested.

Which doesn't answer the question I asked - how we obtain a late 1st round pick, with which to draft Dodson?
Get smart about it. Look at GC. IF they are keen to bump some picks into next year, could we try and link them in

Adelaide
In: Pick 20 & 54
Out: Keane

Collingwood
In: Keane
Out: F1

GC
In: Collingwood F1
Out: pick 20 and 54

Only problem here is (assuming GC and Collingwood are happy to deal those picks) is if a bid for Welsh hits early enough, pick 20 gets swallowed up

Get smart about it. Look at GC. IF they are keen to bump some picks into next year, could we try and link them in

Adelaide
In: Pick 20 & 54
Out: Keane

Collingwood
In: Keane
Out: F1

GC
In: Collingwood F1
Out: pick 20 and 54

Only problem here is (assuming GC and Collingwood are happy to deal those picks) is if a bid for Welsh hits early enough, pick 20 gets swallowed up
Dodson is a much bigger list need than Tyler Welsh if we're being perfectly honest. Athletic Ruckman with limitless upside, decent skills, already a nice size physically....and SA born and bred so likely a career Adelaide Crow.

Dodson is a much bigger list need than Tyler Welsh if we're being perfectly honest. Athletic Ruckman with limitless upside, decent skills, already a nice size physically....and SA born and bred so likely a career Adelaide Crow.
I'm not sure that he's a bigger list need than Welsh, given that our tall forward stocks could be down to just Fogarty & Thilthorpe by the end of 2025 (if we don't grab Welsh).

... which is not to say that Dodson isn't a massive list need as well.

The short version is that we desperately need both players.

I'm not sure that he's a bigger list need than Welsh, given that our tall forward stocks could be down to just Fogarty & Thilthorpe by the end of 2025 (if we don't grab Welsh).

Welsh is not a tall forward at AFL, he's a 3rd tall i.e. Jake Stringer.

That should be the plan. Welsh may be dropping and may not be R1 atm.

I'd like both too but if I had only one choice I wouldn't hesitate to take Dodson...not for one millisecond.
OK, then going back to my spitballing trade scenario, then the way to get it done might be for us to trade Keane to Collingwood for their F1. Then have a deal set up with a team in the back end of the teens should a bid not yet have come for Welsh to trade the Collingwood F1 for their pick (maybe that GC pick 20 if they are looking at flipping picks into next year) and maybe a later junk pick (4th round?). Use that pick for Dodson then sit back and wait for a Welsh bid to roll in wherever it comes.

I view Dodson as being like 75/25 llikely to choose Basketball versus Football. What do others think?

Still, if he does nominate footy, he'd def be worth looking at / getting in.

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 11, last 22nd July)

Back