List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 1925-31 seasons are horror reading.

But when you factor in how hamstrung we were entering the league, this period is by far the worst.
We had an amazing 6 week run post bye though. Never forget that.

To think that we used to take the piss on St Kilda for "the streak"..

Taylor adams would only be a backup option for mine if we can’t land Parker or Macrae/Daniel

We had an amazing 6 week run post bye though. Never forget that.

To think that we used to take the piss on St Kilda for "the streak"..

Hey, at least we didn't put out a DVD.

BTW - the best part of that ‘Pendlebury to NMFC for pick 2’ post is the replies that have rubbished the idea, not because it’s unlikely to net pick 2 for an 80 year old on his last legs, but rather the fact that it’s sacrilege to trade that player.

But for pick 2 when Pendles passes Boomers all times game record we could have the first and second highest games played on that list 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2021, Pies finished 17th, with the following line-up in last game of the season:

FB: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Wilson Madgen Noble
C: Mayne Adams Daicos
HF: Thomas Henry Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Ginnivan De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Sidebottom, Rantall
INT: Bianco, Cameron, Crisp, Murphy, McCreery

In 2022, they finished top four, with the following line-up in the first game of the season:

FB: Quaynor Moore Madgen
HB: Pendlebury Howe N. Daicos
C: J. Daicos Adams Sidebottom
HF: Bianco Mihocek McCreery
F: Henry De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Lipinski, Crisp
INT: Cox, Noble, Brown, Ginnivan

These guys were obviously an exception and had some handy ins (Pendlebury and Moore) but over the half of the side (14 players) is unchanged.

If we take the side from the weekend:

FB: Archer Corr McDonald
HB: Scott Powell McKercher
C: Shiels LDU Dawson
HF: Tucker Pink Zurhaar
FF: Curtis Larkey Teakle

FOL: Xerri, Wardlaw, Simpkin
INT: Fisher, Phillips, Stephens, Hansen Jr

We have missing Sheezel, Comben, Logue and Ford as players who have proven to be at AFL level and then Duursma, Hardeman, Dawson, Bergman, Goater who have shown glimpses.

The biggest gap is quality of experienced players. Our leaders are not in the same conversation as Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore etc.

For that reason, I think Parker should be our primary target. Someone who can drive standards and expectations at training, and hates losing.

Call me naive but I still believe in our core youngsters. Culture is going to be more important than personnel (although we obviously need a KPF who can take a contested mark and a small forward). Culture is going to be driven by leaders and our current crop are losers (to be blunt).

If anyone suggests having a look at Josh Schache, does it automatically constitute a 4 week ban from BigFooty?
The forgotten pick number 2 . Couldn’t be worse than any other tall we have up there. Pick 2 for him, Macrae and Daniel 1724728388075.gif

With all due respect how has this approach been working out? We have talent on the list, and we will get more top end talent in through the draft this year. What we lack are good, experienced players and leaders who understand what best practice looks like on and off the football field. Players from well run, highly successful AFL programs who can help the team develop alongside the coaching staff. Some of the North Melbourne players you mentioned are great individual talents, but the reality is they are indoctrinated to the North Melbourne way of things. They are career losers. They dont know any different, and that isnt there fault. A couple of veterans could make a significant difference to the long term direction of the club imo. They dont have to be world beaters, just have seen what good football looks like on and off the field and help instil it within our own group.
All good we can see it differently. My problem is people seem to want to fill our boots with players from others clubs who cant run to the standard required with the modern game and where its headed (quicker) or small fwds who lack defensive pressure another huge part of it.
You can bring as many of these in as you like and think they offer something. But unless we can match the run, skill, transition, pressure of other teams we're simply not beating them. Then we turn around and say, damn we suck still, lets get more slugs.

In 2021, Pies finished 17th, with the following line-up in last game of the season:

FB: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Wilson Madgen Noble
C: Mayne Adams Daicos
HF: Thomas Henry Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Ginnivan De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Sidebottom, Rantall
INT: Bianco, Cameron, Crisp, Murphy, McCreery

In 2022, they finished top four, with the following line-up in the first game of the season:

FB: Quaynor Moore Madgen
HB: Pendlebury Howe N. Daicos
C: J. Daicos Adams Sidebottom
HF: Bianco Mihocek McCreery
F: Henry De Goey Elliott

FOL: Grundy, Lipinski, Crisp
INT: Cox, Noble, Brown, Ginnivan

These guys were obviously an exception and had some handy ins (Pendlebury and Moore) but over the half of the side (14 players) is unchanged.

If we take the side from the weekend:

FB: Archer Corr McDonald
HB: Scott Powell McKercher
C: Shiels LDU Dawson
HF: Tucker Pink Zurhaar
FF: Curtis Larkey Teakle

FOL: Xerri, Wardlaw, Simpkin
INT: Fisher, Phillips, Stephens, Hansen Jr

We have missing Sheezel, Comben, Logue and Ford as players who have proven to be at AFL level and then Duursma, Hardeman, Dawson, Bergman, Goater who have shown glimpses.

The biggest gap is quality of experienced players. Our leaders are not in the same conversation as Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore etc.

For that reason, I think Parker should be our primary target. Someone who can drive standards and expectations at training, and hates losing.

Call me naive but I still believe in our core youngsters. Culture is going to be more important than personnel (although we obviously need a KPF who can take a contested mark and a small forward). Culture is going to be driven by leaders and our current crop are losers (to be blunt).
It can turn quickly as you point out.

But on driving standards we have one of the best players in comp already doing exactly that in Sheezel.

From the Collingwood Board

"Have an out of the box trade, pendles to kangaroos for number 2 pick number 2 and our future first for petraca.
Pendles gets a season or 2as player then straight into coaching he's exactly what the kangaroos kids need and he would be doing it to benefit us ... As much as I hate it it's a win win"

WTF
Only if we can leave Pendles in the VFL all year so he can't get to Boomers record.

The Pies were never going to stay down the bottom with the likes of Sidebottom, Adams, Pendlebury, Grundy, Crisp etc at the club.

It's the same reason why Sydney and Geelong never have more than one down year at a time.

That's it? Pick 2 for Pendlebury?

WTF indeed!!!

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I like it , doesn't turn 37 for another 5 months. Better getting in now before he's a UFA next year.
Or do we wait and trade our first next year for him, probably still be a top 4 pick. That would catch the comp off guard trading our first for an UFA.

The old catch em off guard.

FFS, FMD and FML.

And FMD Magoo two, wTF would we want another Magoo, We unMagoo'd ourselves. Has kicked more than fifty goals once.

We have enough. Down back Logue, LMac, Corr, K.Dawson. Mids Simpkin, Scott, LDU, X then Larkey and Zurhaar. Plus CCJ and Elmo fit in the mature body category.
What we need is talent.
Its not mature bodies we're missing, its mature minds. IE Experienced footy players who are in their late 20s early 30s and know how to respond to situations like the ones we had after the bye, where we lost composure and dropped our bundles after leading other sides easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back