List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can gather on the AFLPA list rules website, AFL lists need a minimum of 36/maximum of 38 senior list players.

North currently has 31 players under contract for 2025 and beyond, leaving us with room for between 5 to 7 players we can keep from the 14 (or 15, with Nyuon?) players out of contract at the end of the 2024 season.

Rookie list gives us a little flexibility, but there's obviously eligibility issues there, as well as the fact we were given extra rookie spots for 2024 and these are unlikely to continue into 2025.

That's why we're going to be faced with some tough decisions.

I'd anticipate a 2-3 year continuation of our extended rookie list. Gold Coast have had theirs for eons.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the league goes back to pre-covid list sizes eventually too eventually, especially with Tasmania coming in.

I don't really classify him with the other 4 for those reasons.

Your point is also why I think it utterly ridiculous we have a 5 or 6 year deal on the table for CZ.

Ford getting a 1 year deal and CZ having a 5 or 6 year deal on the table is utterly wild to me.

Considering also we used a top 4 pick on someone capable of playing that position in last years draft, with a ceiling twice as high as Zurhaars current output.

CZ must have the same manager LMAC had.

He's a good player, but nothing close to irreplicable like that contract should reflect.

Tend to agree. Also smart by Fords manager to sign a 1 year deal. He knows CZ is likely staying and Fords role could be diminished in 2025.

Ford the type of player that could genuinely fit in at any club.

I'd anticipate a 2-3 year continuation of our extended rookie list. Gold Coast have had theirs for eons.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the league goes back to pre-covid list sizes eventually too eventually, especially with Tasmania coming in.

You may be correct on both fronts, but equally possible is that the AFL keeps the list sizes a little smaller for when Tasmania comes in, just to ensure the spread of talent.

Left-field thoughts for pontificating sake:
  • Sam Weideman (OOC 2024) - 27 years l 197cm
  • Sam Day (UFA 2024) - 31 years l 196cm
  • Ben Brown (OOC 2024) - 31 years l 200cm
  • Darcy Fogarty (RFA 2024) - 24 years l 194cm
  • Mitch Lewis (UFA 2026) - 25 years l 199cm
  • Max Gruzewski (OOC 2026) - 19 years l 192cm
  • Noah Balta (RFA 2025) - 24 years l 194cm
  • Tom Lynch (OOC 2025) - 31 years l 199cm
  • Wade Derksen (OOC 2025) - 23 years l 194cm
  • Jack Lukosius (RFA 2026) - 23 years l 195cm
  • Rory Lobb (OOC 2026) - 31 years l 207cm
  • Ryan Maric (OOC 2026) - 19 years l 196cm
Rationale for inclusion is broadly that most are 1) outside best 22, 2) being underutilised, 3) play for teams near the bottom who may be open to a trade to fast-track rebuilds, or a combination of the three.

A bunch of these are 1) cooked, 2) not really KPFs, 3) fanciful, or a combination of the three but they remain fun to think about.

If we can't land a big fish bring in Day for 1-2 years while a few top draftees develop.

Dan Houston - pick #45 2016 rookie draft.

Wtf?

Crikey we took Farren Ray.

never been great at taking players with later selections.
Takes real skill to select the gems.
Geelong, Sydney and a few others do it well!

Nick Larkey pick 73
Tristan Xerri pick 72
Eddie Ford pick 56
Cam Zurhaar a rookie pick
Paul Curtis pick 35
Jackson Archer pick 59

etc etc

We've done okay from later selections to be fair.

Nick Larkey pick 73
Tristan Xerri pick 72
Eddie Ford pick 56
Cam Zurhaar a rookie pick
Paul Curtis pick 35
Jackson Archer pick 59

etc etc

We've done okay from later selections to be fair.
fair, but jacko archer was FS so its a bit cheating haha.
Just feels like we're never going after the early 20yr old state league guns etc.
Its always kids that take 3-5 years of development and never work out.
Glad we've been better in recent years with the later picks.

Houston would be a ridiculously huge upgrade on McDonald.

Wonder what it would take to get him? He is a quality player with plenty of good footy in front of him.
Anyone would but let’s not forget about Goater Hardenham and Bergman I feel unless Clarkson and the club are seeing something in McDonald that the supporters can’t see .
I feel McDonald will played the rest of this year and next as Captain which will stunt the opportunity’s of the above players to have a role at this club as it’s already been proven we haven’t got the guts to drop him when he been so poor as his been.
Didn’t Clarkson say this in a room full of staff and players when he 1st arrived at North there will players in this room will be part our next premiership and some won’t be time to test that statement by playing Bergman and Hardenham for the rest of this year no matter the Result and Goater from Round 1 in 2025 but as supporters we know that won’t happen.
Don’t worry about Housten if he comes back to Victoria he will be going to big club not us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair, but jacko archer was FS so its a bit cheating haha.
Just feels like we're never going after the early 20yr old state league guns etc.
Its always kids that take 3-5 years of development and never work out.
Glad we've been better in recent years with the later picks.
Stretch on Archer - nobody else was picking him up. We got a discount but ultimately would have used our last pick either way IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back