List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be very very surprised if Battle got us anything better than band 3.

Pretty sure the AFL or at least media speculated that last year was an outlier due to rises in cap but they were basing it off old cap space (or something to that effect).

Now even if he's overpaid by us to the tune of $100k or so, I think that's worth more to us than pick 30 or worse. Arie will be a weapon, no doubting that, but his weakness overhead is Battles strength. Arie is closer to Bonner for a comparison, albiet a taller and less agile version. Either way, it's nowhere near a like for like proposition, if Battle walks our defence will absolutely be worse for it.

I'm bringing up other issues now but time to speculate. We went out into the media to 'brag' about our war chest. It was also reported that we were one of the only clubs not to build the cap increase into existing contracts. Not necessarily saying the players deserve it, but does this strategy cause a level of discontent amongst the playing group? Just a thought.

I'd be very very surprised if we let him walk for an offer that only gets us band 3.

There was a curse put on the club by Jewish rabbis after the 66 gf. I shit you not, I have been told this several times by Jewish friends. The 66 gf was held off the Jewish holiest day “yom kipper” and the Rabbis were pissed that a lot of people skipped synagogue to watch the game. So they cursed the club. Days actually check out
True, read it in The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, it was a sub paragraph.

Holy hell people will believe any s.hit about some Jewish conspiracy.
It was in actual fact some aboriginal elder pointing the bone at the club in the 90's.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every time you lose a top 10 player from your list you have to replace them. It probably takes 5 years of development to get them to the same point unless you win the lottery.

On top of that I'd guess a percentage chance of being a worse player is probably 50% to 60%. The chance of matching in quality is probably around 20% at a guess. To get a significant upgrade would be less than 10% you imagine. Less than 10% chance of blowing the pick or something on top of that. I know they don't add up exactly but just as a general point it you get the idea.

If you are trying to improve your list losing players, it isn't like getting a top 20 pick for them makes a huge impact because you develop them just to stand still unless you absolutely arse a star. Exactly what we did with McEvoy. Paid overs for Hickey who was never as good and for all our picks we ended up with nothing out of it.
The longer I watch St Kilda the more I think continuity - not turning over the list too much - is really important. I've watched Geelong win games with players not especially better than we have on the field partially because they've got a heap of players who've played 100-200 games together. There is an understanding throughout the team, the opposite of how we're playing at the minute.
Obvs you need to draft decently to get to that point and that's where we've failed. But that's a given for any strategy.
Really, the club needs to be less desperate to win a flag and more determined through continuous improvement.

It was in actual fact some aboriginal elder pointing the bone at the club in the 90's.

Isn't RSEA park built on an old burial ground? /s

Might be a silly question, but how the fek is Battle unrestricted at his age? I don't get it. Dal and Bj went as unrestricted FA's at a much later age. What am I missing?

Might be a silly question, but how the fek is Battle unrestricted at his age? I don't get it. Dal and Bj went as unrestricted FA's at a much later age. What am I missing?
Combination of his last deal being quite short (2 years) and other players being signed from the outside on higher and longer deals, resulting in him not being in the top 25% of wage earners at the club.

Sam Gilbert 2025 anyone?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was a curse put on the club by Jewish rabbis after the 66 gf. I shit you not, I have been told this several times by Jewish friends. The 66 gf was held off the Jewish holiest day “yom kipper” and the Rabbis were pissed that a lot of people skipped synagogue to watch the game. So they cursed the club. Days actually check out
Yom Kippur.

And that has to be the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever read.
Rabbis don’t put curses on people, let alone football clubs.

Considering the dearth of Jewish players ever to play AFL, the interesting thing is that Ian Synman, a Jewish player, did actually play that day, which was in fact Yom Kippur. Who knows if he fasted, which is what we do for 25 hours - no food or drink - but thats between him and his maker. 🤣

The curse is a nonsense urban legend. Your friends were probably just having a laugh.

Ok I'm now completely f*ing confused on the headings of our threads.

Trade Thread - Jewish curses and holiday program

Media Thread - Draft talk

Game Thread - LDU trade talk

No wonder our players can't hit a target. They come on here and are left deeply mixed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always assumed it was a 66 thing. England won the World Cup in 66 then nothing else since.

My Dad was from Leeds. He was a passionate Leeds United fan, and a passionate English national team fan. He immigrated to Australia in 1966, and settled in Morrabin, near family. Living in Morrabin, he decided to follow St Kilda, who were an up and coming team.

In that year, Leeds won the FA Cup, England won the World Cup, and St Kilda won the premiership. None have won anything since.

I was born in 1988 and inherited all of those teams.

I also inherited pain, lots and lots of pain.

You know this forum has gone to shit when the Protocols are getting brought up :eek:.

I'm actually pretty sure that Deep State Freemasons and Epsteinite cabalists are to blame from us choosing Billings over Bont in 2013

On Battle, lasting eight years at St Kilda is impress first of all but I think its fair for him to entertain offers and even leave whatever the offer from the rival club is. Our lack of success will always be factor and you can understand a player wanting to leave to chase a premiership.
St Kilda can from what I understand can do only one thing and that is make an offer, After that they know nothing about rival offers put to an unrestricted player unless they explicitly tell their club (Club A offered me $ will you offer me $.) So that would be the only way we could match or beat that offer.
I would think it would be in Battles managers best interest if what is being reported is true and up to four clubs are looking at him is to keep schtum. Rival club are more likely to overpay if they think they will miss out especially if he is a need more so then a want for that club.
How much of our 'War Chest' do people on here want to use on him? Yes he is great player and by all reports and excellent clubman and deserves a decent contract but with Keeler and Schoenmaker looking likely, Sharman who knows from week to week and maybe even Hastie if he can fill out in the next couple of off season the big offers need to be used elsewhere. Such as trying to improve our spine and have money left over to spend on our kids early even if that means Rozee type deals.
If Battle leaves remember this is Josh's job with an unknow expiry date can't blame him for doing what he thinks is best and it isn't a screw up by St Kilda (unless we tabled a stupidly low offer) he isn't the type of player you sell the farm for when your are in our position.

dave-chappelle-money.gif

He was drafted as a swingman who played mostly forward who modelled his game on Jack Gunston because he had endurance and run. We tried him on a wing for a bit under Richo then settled him down back and never tried him in different spots.
He was very average when played on the wing, but that was a number of years ago and Battle has kicked on significantly since then. Maybe bring back the classic Richo move?

Yom Kippur.

And that has to be the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever read.
Rabbis don’t put curses on people, let alone football clubs.

Considering the dearth of Jewish players ever to play AFL, the interesting thing is that Ian Synman, a Jewish player, did actually play that day, which was in fact Yom Kippur. Who knows if he fasted, which is what we do for 25 hours - no food or drink - but thats between him and his maker. 🤣

The curse is a nonsense urban legend. Your friends were probably just having a laugh.

In a less PC time they used to play "Chinese whispers" in class where you whisper something and it goes around the room and the original message has been changed as it went and corrupted. I think this is like that.

The aboriginal one is wrong too. Collingwood had a "bone pointed at them" by an "aboriginal witchdoctor" which isn't a thing any way. It gave them the collywobbles. They had a president- I think his name was McAllister who had said some racist remarks about Winmar and others at the time. Anyway that's from my memory of it.

Pretty sure it was probably from some football show segment. I think that stuff has all been mixed together and turned into a Saints curse. We were cursed by never having much success and always playing catch up. The real curse was the stupid zoning that was meant to rotate but gave clubs like the Hawks and Blues enfettered access to the best zones.

He was very average when played on the wing, but that was a number of years ago and Battle has kicked on significantly since then. Maybe bring back the classic Richo move?

Definitely but just because he came good off HB doesn't mean he hasn't significantly improve his all round game. His ability to go forward should be a weapon. Why not try some stuff. I though Lyon wanted to explore. He's got a boring idea of exploration.

My Dad was from Leeds. He was a passionate Leeds United fan, and a passionate English national team fan. He immigrated to Australia in 1966, and settled in Morrabin, near family. Living in Morrabin, he decided to follow St Kilda, who were an up and coming team.

In that year, Leeds won the FA Cup, England won the World Cup, and St Kilda won the premiership. None have won anything since.

I was born in 1988 and inherited all of those teams.

I also inherited pain, lots and lots of pain.
leeds did win the title in 91/92,before the great man swwitched to man utd and the rest as they say is history

Ok I'm now completely f*ing confused on the headings of our threads.

Trade Thread - Jewish curses and holiday program

Media Thread - Draft talk

Game Thread - LDU trade talk

No wonder our players can't hit a target. They come on here and are left deeply mixed up.
Bring back George

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The aboriginal one is wrong too. Collingwood had a "bone pointed at them" by an "aboriginal witchdoctor" which isn't a thing any way. It gave them the collywobbles.
colliwobbles were a thing way before that,i think it may have stemmed from their being knocked out in straight sets 72 and 73(saints in 72)

searched it,just says it refers to the 1958-1989 era,but not sure when it was first phrased,but i remember using it as a kid in 70s/early 80s,if i was to bet i would say it started gaining traction after 72/73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back