List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where on earth has the brain fart that Battle is walking for less money coming from?

Its his big pay day.

If he leaves it’ll be because he’s had an offer that will set his family up forever.

This is how stupid stuff like ‘the club is lowballing him’ starts… if Hawthorn is offering a million a year are we lowballing him if we don’t beat that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoa, relax mate, i didnt say he was leaving for less, you asked if a UFA leaves how do we blame the club.

I noted that if someone leaves for less money youd be asking some questions, and if he leaves for more money youre really just noting your opinion about how much hes worth.

If the Hawks offer him a mil a year id say we dont match that, somewhere around $800k-$900 pending the years is my personal threshold for Josh. No idea what the clubs is

Not that I want to see him go because I like Battle, he has a presence that a lot of our guys lack IMO, but as a player his attributes are those we could more easily replace than some others.

Andrew Dillon himself recently stated the AFL will be pulling back on what free agent compensation they hand out. So I very much doubt we are going to get Band 1 compensation for Battle if he departs. It will most likely be a Band 2 end of 1st round pick which by the time all the northern academy and father sons are bid on, the pick will push out into the late 20's again. If anyone thinks a draft pick in the 20's is sufficient compensation for Battle they are living in disney land. The guy plays with passion and purpose how many of those types do we have?

I understand he is an unrestricted free agent and he can do what he wants, but the only reason he would want to go is if the club arent making him a reasonable offer or its a shit environment. On both those proviso's the club are responsible.

Im not suggesting he is irreplaceable, every player is replacable but IMO he is important to the fabric of the club while our kids develop. If we had to trade out a supposed top end player then my first and only choice would be Max King. I dont think he is worth the money the club are paying him. He plays like a big sulky kid, not someone you build a forward line or your future around. We would get 2 x early draft picks plus for Max, which we could use to draft another midfielder and a tall forward.

If we found a genuine ruckman you could even play Marshall at full forward or between Hayes, Caminiti and Keeler I think we could more than cover his loss. Battle himself would have more of a go at full forward than King does IMO.

Last edited:
I'm confident Shoenmaker will be a gun but Battle should be redeployed as a forward before losing him. Unless his wage is so outstandingly OTT we should do what ever we can to hold on to him.
Battle to the centre square for my 2 cents. He rips it up and goes beast anytime he's gone in there.

Andrew Dillon himself recently stated the AFL will be pulling back on what free agent compsenation they hand out. So I very much doubt we are going to get Band 1 compensation for Battle if he departs. It will most likely be a Band 2 end of 1st round pick which by the time all the northern academy and father sons are bid on, the pick will push out into the late 20's again. If anyone thinks a draft pick in the 20's is sufficient compensation for Battle they are living in disney land. The guy plays with passion and purpose how many of those types do we have?

I understand he is an unrestricted free agent and he can do what he wants, but the only reason he would want to go is if the club arent making him a reasonable offer or its a shit environment. On both those proviso's the club are responsible.

Im not suggesting he is irreplaceable, every player is replacable but IMO he is important to the fabric of the club while our kids develop. If we had to trade out a supposed top end player then my first and only choice would be Max King. I dont think he is worth the money the club are paying him. He plays like a big sulky kid, not someone you build a forward line or your future around. We would get 2 x early draft picks plus for Max, which we could use to draft another midfielder and a tall forward.

If we found a genuine ruckman you could even play Marshall at full forward or between Hayes, Caminiti and Keeler I think we could more than cover his loss. Battle himself would have more of a go at full forward than King does IMO.
And that's where we should see our president or coach come out in the media saying well if North gets this for McKay we should also get that for Battle.

Teams in the top 8 will just pick apart the bottom 8 teams or we end up paying a stupid amount of money for a 3rd tall defender.

Love battle, but if he is our highest earner at the club for any given period of time we might as well just fold.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Battle to the centre square for my 2 cents. He rips it up and goes beast anytime he's gone in there.

He was drafted as a swingman who played mostly forward who modelled his game on Jack Gunston because he had endurance and run. We tried him on a wing for a bit under Richo then settled him down back and never tried him in different spots.

He was drafted as a swingman who played mostly forward who modelled his game on Jack Gunston because he had endurance and run. We tried him on a wing for a bit under Richo then settled him down back and never tried him in different spots.
Well, the wing was definitely not his spot...the backline though has served him & us all well.
That said the three occasions (that I can think of anyway) where he was thrown in as either a ruck (a game where he just sharked the opposition's taps, and monstered the oppo mids) or as a ruck rover/centre, he's been game changing good.
Jesus, we need someone to do something/anything in there...Ro is acting as all three centre guys at the moment.

Watch the AFL change the rules for band 1 just in time to screw us out of Battle compo.
The St Kilda curse is real. It's happening right now, you just have to see it unfolding.
There has never been something I’m more confident of happening

Watch the AFL change the rules for band 1 just in time to screw us out of Battle compo.
The St Kilda curse is real. It's happening right now, you just have to see it unfolding.

People accuse us of being paranoid, but you aren't paranoid if they really is a conspiracy against you.

People accuse us of being paranoid, but you aren't paranoid if they really is a conspiracy against you.
There was a curse put on the club by Jewish rabbis after the 66 gf. I shit you not, I have been told this several times by Jewish friends. The 66 gf was held off the Jewish holiest day “yom kipper” and the Rabbis were pissed that a lot of people skipped synagogue to watch the game. So they cursed the club. Days actually check out

There was a curse put on the club by Jewish rabbis after the 66 gf. I shit you not, I have been told this several times by Jewish friends. The 66 gf was held off the Jewish holiest day “yom kipper” and the Rabbis were pissed that a lot of people skipped synagogue to watch the game. So they cursed the club. Days actually check out
Dammit couldn't we have traded Barry Hall or Spider to Melbourne (josef gutnick ) in exchange for having the curse lifted.....
Then again i'm not Jewish , so i don't believe the curse and i don't eat Kosher.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ratts played him on the wing. Was definitely played as a forward under Ratts too

I'll tell you this, if Battle leaves to a Hawthorn as suggested we will all regret it. And, if the Club didn't do everything in it's power to keep him - barring matching a grandfather offer, which would cause just as many problems as it would solve - I'd say other players will leave too.

If any of it's true I think the answer would lie in the middle. Another Club has offered him a bit more, not a tonne more but perhaps past the $1m per season mark - and we've decided we can't or won't match that. And perhaps players are shitty because they respect him so much and let's face it, we're fecking St. Kilda. You'd want to be sure the good one's will continue running down that race with you!

To be honest I just hope we find a way to keep him. Surely some wealthy benefactors can conjure something up. Battle strikes me as the exact type we need on the list - hard, skillful, consumate professional, perfect age bracket, talls don't grow on trees and we've put years into him. Real Club fabric kind of guy and I'd be really surprised is Lyon/SOS let him go.

I'm not reading too much into it but I'll be super p1ssed if he leaves. And watch the AFL crunch our compo down to something distinctively not Band 1.

While we're at it, if the players sooking had any trade value I'd be giving them the boot too! There would be nothing worse than sooky-la-la players when you're trying to run a Club and win a Flag. Sure they mightn't like it, but if Battle has left for just a little bit extra per year, it says a bit about him. If he's left for a tonne more money, how could you blame him. Either way the majority of 'em have shown feck all resepct for the jumper this year so it made me pretty p1ssed off reading that one! Cop on you pr1cks and win the Club another Flag, whatever it takes!

yeah i thought they might wait till the riewoldt boys were tearing a new one in the u18s before changing a F/S rule,but bit long for them to wait for that one,so yeah can see battle getting offered way more than mackay,taking it and us getting band 2

then the riewoldt thing,im seeing that well in advance

yeah i thought they might wait till the riewoldt boys were tearing a new one in the u18s before changing a F/S rule,but bit long for them to wait for that one,so yeah can see battle getting offered way more than mackay,taking it and us getting band 2

then the riewoldt thing,im seeing that well in advance
Roos boys will end up at tassy. Mark my words

Andrew Dillon himself recently stated the AFL will be pulling back on what free agent compensation they hand out. So I very much doubt we are going to get Band 1 compensation for Battle if he departs. It will most likely be a Band 2 end of 1st round pick which by the time all the northern academy and father sons are bid on, the pick will push out into the late 20's again.
The key words there are "WILL be pulling back". Like most things the AFL love to leave themselves lots of wriggle room. Having just had our President making waves about the free ride a few select teams have enjoyed in terms of access to young talent more recently, could you not see the AFL "adding their secret herbs and spices" to shut us up with a first-round pick - which then also enables them to point to that in the press and prove how fair they are?

I knew it !!! I always suspected Rabbi's were at the root of our problem!!

I always assumed it was a 66 thing. England won the World Cup in 66 then nothing else since.

Also this to add to the mix - Ian Synman played in the 1966 premiership side. He is Jewish[2] and, although the Grand Final fell on Yom Kippur, Synman received special dispensation to play.[3] He is one of the few Jewish players to have played Australian rules football at the highest level.

Doubt Battle would get us a band 1 compo pick…he’s unrestricted so wouldn’t be in our top 25% contract earners.
More likely be a band 2 compensation!
I'd be very very surprised if Battle got us anything better than band 3.

Pretty sure the AFL or at least media speculated that last year was an outlier due to rises in cap but they were basing it off old cap space (or something to that effect).

Now even if he's overpaid by us to the tune of $100k or so, I think that's worth more to us than pick 30 or worse. Arie will be a weapon, no doubting that, but his weakness overhead is Battles strength. Arie is closer to Bonner for a comparison, albiet a taller and less agile version. Either way, it's nowhere near a like for like proposition, if Battle walks our defence will absolutely be worse for it.

I'm bringing up other issues now but time to speculate. We went out into the media to 'brag' about our war chest. It was also reported that we were one of the only clubs not to build the cap increase into existing contracts. Not necessarily saying the players deserve it, but does this strategy cause a level of discontent amongst the playing group? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back