List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather rely on our McLennan types than give up any good draft picks. We picked up Garcia and Ari with picks in the 50's and 60's so imagine what we could do with pick #32 !
We are a bit hamstrung until draft night, depending on what we do if we have late picks they could get eaten up or reduced by bids. We can still trade back in after using futures for late 40s-50s picks like we did last year

I don’t ever remember Dempsters kicking, be that field or goal kicking to be more than serviceable
There's two components to it, decision making and execution. What he lacked in skill he made up for by playing within his limitations. We have Sinclair and Nas for our play-making out of defence, all we'd need from somebody like Kemp is for him to not turn it over, hence why Bonner isn't on the list anymore.

Having said that, I know nothing about Kemp, have literally never noticed him on the field before so I have no opinion on whether he'd be a wise pick up or not.

Damo and Josh Jenkins, I don't think you could get a worse trade radio pairing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know. For my part I am sceptical about the importance of line coaches in setting strategy. The sport has moved a hundred miles away from there being three fragmented siloes on the ground which can be delegated to three different tacticians. I assume that Ross sets the whole of ground strategy, in consultation with the other coaches, and then line coaches are responsible for the day to day coaching of particular players, but consistently with the overarching strategy. For that reason, pinning blame on Harvey for the forward entries seems very naive to me.

Returning then to your question, I like the Bolton appointment because he comes from some very successful clubs, will have valuable intel about other teams and players, and seems like a good likeable personality to boot. It's very important for coaching panels to get this sort of regular cross-fertilisation from other clubs, which has not happened for us for two years.

I absolutely love pick 27, got us Henry for free (a couple of pick places between our 2nd and GWS 2nd) now swapped out for a free pick 45 with 32 coming back to around 27 anyway.

The gift that keeps on giving.
Jason Blake, #27 wasn’t he?

Nothing to do with the price of anything, but still…we all loved Blakey too 🤣

A quote from the Philosopher Josh Jenkins: "Be careful, if something is obvious it might be obvious for a good reason."
We'll be back with more wisdom from the great man shortly.

18 minutes ago

BLUES UNLIKELY TO BOW TO SAINTS' KEMP INTEREST

Jon Ralph

Carlton is keen on keeping third defender Brodie Kemp despite St Kilda’s interest but might have their arm twisted if the Saints can come up with a quality 2024 national draft selection.
Carlton’s former list boss Steven Silvagni, now at St Kilda, is keen to bring across a player he drafted at the Blues with pick 17 in the 2019 national draft to replace departing free agent Josh Battle.
Kemp has not requested a trade and is happy at the Blues, having played 38 games for Carlton in the past two years as a mobile marking defender.
But the Blues are not totally ruling out a trade with the Saints so the chance of him moving is are alive until Wednesday’s 7.30pm trade deadline.
Having just secured pick three in the national draft, the Blues are content to secure an elite midfield talent with their earliest pick and then match bids on the Camporeale twins later in the draft.
St Kilda would need to offer up an early pick in the 2024 national draft to even have Carlton’s list management team considering whether Kemp was worth trading.

Carlton’s Jacob Weitering has just signed a new six-year deal and Lewis Young has had no takers so far, with Nick Haynes on a one-year deal as a free agent and Mitch McGovern still on the list.
So there is a key role for Kemp to play if he remains at the Blues.
St Kilda’s draft hand is picks seven, eight, 32, 45 and 47 after trading their pick 27 for the Lions 32 and 45 on Tuesday.
By the time rival clubs bid for academy players that No.32 draft selection will be only a handful of picks away from the 27 they traded away, so they secure more draft capital at the outlay of very few picks.
But the Saints would likely need to offer a top 25 pick for Kemp so the Blues could be sure they could take a pick to the draft before any bid for Camporeale

Kennedy to the dogs seems a strange call for Kennedy and for the dogs.
The dogs midfield is actually starting to look a bit shallow after being their strength for a decade. Bont is still the man, but Libba is one head knock away from retirement, Dunkley is gone, MacRae is past it/potentially gone, Sanders was a bit over hyped (for how ready he was, not necessarily his ceiling).

Kennedy wouldn't be a bad option for them, as he's probably better than MacRae in the position he was being played in.

Why does the addition of Bolton automatically mean someone is leaving. ??
Goddard out of line coaches at now Coach of Sandy and Development role - was mids coach
Rivers is in and will be Defensive line coach

Enright, I haven't heard, but It would make sense if he became Mids coach and takes on a more overarching role, with a view to his development as a future senior coach.

Bolton is out of the blue
maybe Bolton will take a directing role like he did at Pies

“We believe Brendon and Jared will perfectly complement our current coaches in Ross Lyon, Corey Enright, Robert Harvey, Damian Carroll, Brendon Goddard and Lenny Hayes and we are excited to see them get to work this pre-season.”

St Kilda’s coaching structure for 2025 will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back