List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit flat I'm not going to lie, it's not horrible, but I think two picks prior to pick 7 was an incredible place to be this draft.

It's not a sudden change in talent though. At least not from myself. I've convinced myself that Reid and Lindsay could be great, but I've always had them behind, FOS, Smith, Draper, Lalor, Smillie, Langford.

So on my list of wants, we could get lucky with 1 or 2 of those 6 mids but not in our order - but have to rely on others being bid on - I don't like a game of chance.

If we had 3 and 7, that gives us a great chance at 2 of them and allows us to tailor our picks as well.

So it's not so much that these 4 have suddenly been announced as a new top tier, it's more that we'd get more of a guarantee of 2 of them and a more suitable mix also with the better hand.

Beat Sydney and Geelong late. Smacked the Dons too

Turned our form around later in the season.

Wilson... Pou... Nas.... etc

Hopefully a fit King

A lot to look forward to mate.

with 13 gone,if this 3 goes can we just tell all clubs to gagf on pick swaps?take our 7 8 27 to draft,keep our f1 for next year and tell bulldogs whats your final word on macrae?if we dont like it tell them to gagf,offer our price for kennedy,if they dont like it tell them to gagf,ditto with deven robertson,then talk to ned mchenry for no draft capitol & clubs with a viable ruck armed with the picks we had for soldo and macrae/keenedy,grab one and bring on the draft?

For those who aren't across all the top draftees this is my opinion on the difference between pick 3 & 7 to 7 & 8 and who might be available at those picks.

The talent might be similar however the type of players available are completely different.

Needs: POD Midfield talent and variety from our current one-pace midfield.

Ranking (Cal Twomey)PlayerFits a need?Available at 3Available at 7?Available at 8?
2Harvey LangfordMaybeYesMaybeMaybe
3Jagga SmithYes *MaybeNoNo
4Finn O’SullivanYes *MaybeNoNo
5Murphy ReidMaybeYesMaybeMaybe
6Sam LalorYes *MaybeNoNo
7Josh SmillieYesYesMaybeNo
8Sid DraperYes *YesNoNo
9Harry ArmstrongNoYesMaybeMaybe
10Alix TauruYesYesNoNo
11Tobie TravagliaMaybeYesYesYes
12Bo AllanMaybeYesYesYes
15Taj HottonMaybeYesYesYes
16Luke TrainorYesYesYesYes
17Joe BerryNoYesYesYes
18Xavier LindsayYesYesYesYes
19Jobe ShanahanNoYesYesYes
20Jack WhitlockYesYesYesYes
All four who fit our needs perfectly will not be available at pick 7 & 8 so we will have to hope that Dalrymple pulls another Chad Warner out of his ass at 27.

All four who fit our needs perfectly will not be available at pick 7 & 8 so we will have to hope that Dalrymple pulls another Chad Warner out of his ass at 27.
Oh crap, we will get two top quality mids at 7 & 8.
Pou was touted to Essendon at 5. NAZ went at 13, Butters went at 13, etc etc etc.

This FOMO is such desperate bs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pou was touted to Essendon at 5. NAZ went at 13, Butters went at 13, etc etc etc.

The sky is falling because we beat Carlton and don't want to desperately pay overs for pick swaps, haven't you heard Joff?

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe suggest the players in this draft that fit our midfield need. We got lucky with Phillipou because of Essendon shitting the bed, we don't need another mid of the same type now though. Naz is a half back, we have plenty of coverage. Who is the Zak Butters here? To me it's Jagga Smith who will be gone by the top 4 picks.

Maybe suggest the players in this draft that fit our midfield need. We got lucky with Phillipou because of Essendon shitting the bed, we don't need another mid of the same type now though. Naz is a half back, we have plenty of coverage. Who is the Zak Butters here? To me it's Jagga Smith who will be gone by the top 4 picks.
We take the best 2 available at our draft board.

If that’s Smillie and Armstrong. So be it.

The question is, who was the Zac Butters in the Zac Butters draft??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who aren't across all the top draftees this is my opinion on the difference between pick 3 & 7 to 7 & 8 and who might be available at those picks.

The talent might be similar however the type of players available are completely different.

Needs: POD Midfield talent and variety from our current one-pace midfield.

Ranking (Cal Twomey)PlayerFits a need?Available at 3Available at 7?Available at 8?
2Harvey LangfordMaybeYesMaybeMaybe
3Jagga SmithYes *MaybeNoNo
4Finn O’SullivanYes *MaybeNoNo
5Murphy ReidMaybeYesMaybeMaybe
6Sam LalorYes *MaybeNoNo
7Josh SmillieYesYesMaybeNo
8Sid DraperYes *YesNoNo
9Harry ArmstrongNoYesMaybeMaybe
10Alix TauruYesYesNoNo
11Tobie TravagliaMaybeYesYesYes
12Bo AllanMaybeYesYesYes
15Taj HottonMaybeYesYesYes
16Luke TrainorYesYesYesYes
17Joe BerryNoYesYesYes
18Xavier LindsayYesYesYesYes
19Jobe ShanahanNoYesYesYes
20Jack WhitlockYesYesYesYes
I’ve not followed this crop of draftees like I have in past years so going by my very limited knowledge of these players, I’d like to get Langford and Lalor at picks 3 & 7

In my opinion Pou plays his role in the balance of our midfield and forward rotations, I wouldn't be opposed if we took him though. I think there are better fits available like Smillie.
He looks every bit a midfield that can go forward and can play inside and outside type of roles - admittedly lacks some pace.

Has nothing to do with Pou

Reid has his detractors and is constantly overlooked in discussions for our options at 7&8 (and who will go before our picks) but RMC has him at 3, Cal at 5 and HS at 7. Chellappah and The Age at 18.

Clearly he divides opinion, but the thing that separates Butters/Neale IMO is their creativity, poise, decision-making and hardness rather than athleticism or high production (although they have that too). Obviously nothing is guaranteed but Reid is the most likely to turn out as a Butters type for mine, on the creative front at least. Smith just looks like Butters but his ball use can be fairly mundane, although I think he has improved on this and is a very safe bet.

I think the actual worst case for us is Reid going early and ending up with both Langford and Smillie available at 7, because I don't think we can take them both. But one of Langford/Smillie and Reid/Draper would be a very nice combination.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT EVERY time a player or a pick is mentioned as an interest to St.Kilda one or more of the more powerful clubs swoop on it.

As far as picks go , Its not a matter of more powerful.
Its a matter of giving up more than we want to.

If you go to an auction , with a firm idea of what a house is worth, and some clown goes well over your valuation, that doesn't make them better than you, it might mean they are foolish.

Who is this Flamingo why do you keep thinking is me? because I have a different opinion? hahaha I disagree that's not a troll, and I'm certainly not hitting the panic button either. I want the best for the club and It's an assessment of player type and needs. I would be disappointed and frustrated that we passed up an opportunity to move-up for one of these players that fit a need. Simply out of an abundance of caution. I'm not claiming to be an expert either, I referred to Cal who is one in my post.
How would you or he know what the exact need is though? Answer is you don't.

I have one over you. I absolutely know that Lyon wants mids who has good disposal. That means a player like Xavier Lindsay. So we may have him at pick 8 as an absolute need and best fit while Towmey may have him at 15.
I don't want to hear absolute need, we chose Billings as the best no.3 and most experts agreed.
We selected Wilson at 18 because he was an elite gut runner who also has great disposal.
Just because there is a sudden big 4 in the desperate delusions of the panicked doesn't mean we should piss away our hand when the deal is not in our favour.

Absolute case of keyboard list management because people are bored.

Hypothetical

Instead of looking to trade up, should we have looked to trade out of Pick 8?

It's a sellers market, and maybe it would have been good to slide back to P16 and a F1 from GWS, or something similar.

Discuss.
GWS like Travaglia.
8 and some change for 15 & 16 if he's still on the board at 8

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back