List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

So what needs do these Top 4 players fit that we cant get in players that might be available at 7 & 8

FOS - looks a great package but didn't set the world on fire .... will likely go pick 1

Lalor - mid/forward .... explosive but body isn't seemingly holding up .... hip issues and now a high grade hamstring .... will go top 2 if Richmond get pick 2 from North

So FOS & Lalor ... likely unavailable anyway

Jagga - high possession small mid with great agility though suspect hurt factor for the amount of disposals he racks up ... could be available at Pick 3 ... unlikely to get pick 7

Draper - explosive mid .... good from clearance but tends to handball more than kick ... doesnt hit the scoreboard often ..... had a relatively average Champs against Vic & WA sides but played solid footy for SA senior level ... should be available at pick 3 though destined for Adelaide at pick 4

Langford - mid who can go forward and kicks goals ... question marks about pace and separation from stoppage but no slower than Cripps or Bont at same age .... could go top 5 ... could be available at 7

Smillie - see Langford ... likely available at 7

Reid - won Vic Metro MVP at Champs ... smaller mid but very smart operator .... not super quick but is a good decision maker with solid skills ... should be available at pick 7

Lindsay - won the Morrish Medal and was BOG for Vic Country v Metro ..... best kick in the draft ... smooth mover who can alternate between HB/wing and midfield ... available pick 7

Travaglia - played mid in Coates League but mainly off half back for Vic Country ... breaks lines and has a competitive streak ... available pick 7

Personally if we got Langford or Smillie (pick 7) & then Reid or Lindsay (pick 8) I would be very happy .... 1 big mid and 1 smaller mid
Obviously we choose the HBF ones.

I am also in the camp of 47 for Macrae or we walk.

He would be handy to fill the void left by Crouch but he's far from the player he used to be.

Yes, Bevo did play him out of position and use him as a sub. But when the cupboard was bare (think it was when Libba was out with concussion), Macrae did get a good run in his usual position and he still didn't set the world on fire.

He was never quick but he looked pretty slow and didn't have much hurt factor.

We're genuinely doing the dogs a favour by taking his salary off the books, he's been phased out already and that's without Sanders having established himself yet.

Surely they don't want a $800k depth player.

If they don't need the $800 000 elsewhere it makes no difference.
Just like if you took an $800 000 player from us, we'd need to find someone else to spend the money on.
They may be happy to use McCrustacean as a salary dump, knowing that the cap will free up in a short number of years.

Let's just get Parker then with 47.

simples.jpeg

Which is why 43 should be sufficient for Macrae.

I don't think that's correct- other sources are saying swans want a second rounder for parker
(unless im mistaken- 44 is a 3rd round pick?):

1000011164.jpg

Even if 44 is a 2nd rounder(?)

Rawlings saying 'a fair way apart' wouldnt be over the difference between 62 and 44- that is in noones language 'a fair way apart'.

62 vs 24- THAT'S 'a fair way apart'

Last edited:
Outside of macrae i was expecting for us to just do nothing and take what we have to the draft

But the talk of 13 then 9 then 3 sucks you in and ultimately end up disappointed that we’ve done nothing

For what it’s worth I think we keep what we have but you’d have thought our offer of a future first would have been enough to snag something
There's a lot of desperation out there and prices are very high.
It was the same last year that people got ruffled at the perceived lack of action yet it was (IIRC) perhaps our best combined trade/draft season this millennium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the actual worst case for us is Reid going early and ending up with both Langford and Smillie available at 7, because I don't think we can take them both. But one of Langford/Smillie and Reid/Draper would be a very nice combination.

IMO if they’re both available you take them both. They may be similar (I don’t know, not an expert) but you’re basically guaranteed that one won’t make it so taking both makes it more likely you end up with at least one good mid.

So what needs do these Top 4 players fit that we cant get in players that might be available at 7 & 8

FOS - looks a great package but didn't set the world on fire .... will likely go pick 1

Lalor - mid/forward .... explosive but body isn't seemingly holding up .... hip issues and now a high grade hamstring .... will go top 2 if Richmond get pick 2 from North

So FOS & Lalor ... likely unavailable anyway

Jagga - high possession small mid with great agility though suspect hurt factor for the amount of disposals he racks up ... could be available at Pick 3 ... unlikely to get pick 7

Draper - explosive mid .... good from clearance but tends to handball more than kick ... doesnt hit the scoreboard often ..... had a relatively average Champs against Vic & WA sides but played solid footy for SA senior level ... should be available at pick 3 though destined for Adelaide at pick 4

Langford - mid who can go forward and kicks goals ... question marks about pace and separation from stoppage but no slower than Cripps or Bont at same age .... could go top 5 ... could be available at 7

Smillie - see Langford ... likely available at 7

Reid - won Vic Metro MVP at Champs ... smaller mid but very smart operator .... not super quick but is a good decision maker with solid skills ... should be available at pick 7

Lindsay - won the Morrish Medal and was BOG for Vic Country v Metro ..... best kick in the draft ... smooth mover who can alternate between HB/wing and midfield ... available pick 7

Travaglia - played mid in Coates League but mainly off half back for Vic Country ... breaks lines and has a competitive streak ... available pick 7

Personally if we got Langford or Smillie (pick 7) & then Reid or Lindsay (pick 8) I would be very happy .... 1 big mid and 1 smaller mid
Yep, like that combo a lot. I want Smillie. In general we are undersized. Would love an absolute clearance bull. Kid is a unit.

I am going off highlights only, but Reid looks unreal to me. Pendles type player. These two would be incredible.

People will complain about speed, but we have outside speed with Henry and Wilson. Both could occasionally roll through the middle.

Two absolute ball pigs, we would be in great shape if we pull that off.

So correct me if I am wrong here, but as it stands we are actively shopping for extra picks in this draft.

With our F1 + F2 we tried:
Ess at 9 - beaten by Melbourne with a future first AND 5 round 2/3/4 picks this year
GC at 13 - beaten by either a North first rounder or a port / coll 3way that involves alot of already interested players / picks

So moving down the list of potentially available picks (and ignoring later pick swaps) our realistic options would be:

For 8+27+F1:
Carlton at 12+14

For 27, F1+ F2:
Tigers at 11

For 8 + 27
Giants at 15+16+21

For F1:
Sydney at 19+22

The one that jumps of the page for me is Richmond. They want to spread picks over 2 drafts to minimise risk, and they are already picking at at least 1 and 6. So we offer our 2025 draft hand (roughly a pick between 6-12 & 23-29) for 11 this year. Given what Ess and GC got for their pick, that offer probably isn't enough to tempt Richmond. So I added 27 (not sure we have anything else they would want).

Relies on them getting Rioli, Baker and Bolton done. And I am also sure they would try for the same deal with the later Bolton pick, not the first one.

But something like 27,F1+F2 to Rich for 11 as our next offer?

If so, I can see why we are trying to get involved in the Baker / WCE deal. Gets us into the conversation by trying to be helpful.

But for me our interest in that deal shouldn't be about upgrading to the WCE pick 3 from 7 or 8. It should be about trying to get the earlier pick that comes from the Bolton deal (ie 11) out of Richmond and over to us to add to 7/8.

Just where I would look at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back