List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

"CHB or FB no difference" 😁😁😁

I stand by my comments of Cole, he will never become an intercepting defender who are the best defenders in the game. Yet I also understand he will likely be picked up as an NGA and they will attempt to develop the offensive part of his game.

But you were bagging Tomlinson in support of Phillips. Phillips is a mark kick player who has nothing else to his game. Neither are going to be long term options.
In this context there is no difference because we are discussing 3rd talls

You say Cole will never be an intercepting defender despite being an elite runner but still used running ability as a reason for why Tomlinson can play interceptor? 😁😁😁 make it make sense

Phillips was the premier interceptor at VFL level before he was signed by Hawthorn and showed his ability at AFL level against Port. He reads the play well and is a good size. "nothing else to his game" is a massive stretch

Can we swoop on one of these Geelong mature age players that they seem to pull out at pick 71 in the draft? Get the recruiters down to South Barwon FC
Anakie FC

Geelong special - Ajang Kuol mun, 22 yo, 205 cm ruckman

Takes up footy full time in 2023 then plays the first 5 games in 2024 for the Geelong VFL team before disappearing to Anakie FC only to mysteriously get an invite to this years draft combine.

In this context there is no difference because we are discussing 3rd talls

You say Cole will never be an intercepting defender despite being an elite runner but still used running ability as a reason for why Tomlinson can play interceptor? 😁😁😁 make it make sense

Phillips was the premier interceptor at VFL level before he was signed by Hawthorn and showed his ability at AFL level against Port. He reads the play well and is a good size. "nothing else to his game" is a massive stretch

So you are happy taking Cole knowing he will never become one of the better defenders in the game, just because he is an academey player. He may be a good stopper, but what do they do apart from punching the ball away which remains in play and gives the opposition smalls a bite to grab the ball and score. Thats why players like Harris, May etc are considered the best defenders because 60-70% of the time they mark the ball.

Phillips a premier interceptor, then why was he delisted after 1 game from a club screaming for key defenders. So much so they gave away their F1, F2& F3 for a 30 yo Barrass and are paying 900k per year for Battle.

Last edited:
Anakie FC

Geelong special - Ajang Kuol mun, 22 yo, 205 cm ruckman

Takes up footy full time in 2023 then plays the first 5 games in 2024 for the Geelong VFL team before disappearing to Anakie FC only to mysteriously get an invite to this years draft combine.
I'm sold, sign him up. Don't even review the tape in case it scares us off.

Don't let the bastards get away with another one.

So you are happy taking Cole knowing he will never become one of the best defenders in the game, just because he is an academey player. He may be a good stopper, but what do they do apart from punching the ball away which remains in play and gives the opposition smalls a bite to grab the ball and score. Thats why players like Harris, May etc are considered the best defenders because 60-70% of the time they mark the ball.

Phillips a premier interceptor, then why was he delisted after 1 game from a club screaming for key defenders. So much so they gave away their F1, F2& F3 for a 30 yo Barrass and are paying 900k per year for Battle.
When did I ever remotely say that about Cole :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Phillips was delisted because Hawthorn found better players, that's it. Doesn't make him a bad player. Tim Membrey is about to be delisted for the 2nd time in his career. Mason Wood was once delisted. The list goes on

Literally the guy you're arguing with me about, Adam Tomlinson, has just been delisted

You say Hawthorn are screaming for defenders - you have to judge it with context. Hawthorn have a ton of cap room and they clearly don't see any other holes in their list so they've gone all in on elite key defenders because where else would they spend the money? Now that they're stacked with key talls; Barrass Battle Sicily Frost Scrimshaw, it obviously pushes others out

He will be much better player than Coffiield IMO. He is a lot more mobile, agile and better over head than Nick. Plus he can play taller than his actual height, playing on key forwards at times during the year.

Coffield is the opposite he cant play tall and his game actions are quite slow.
Let’s hope the bid doesn’t come at pick 8 then, Coffield national draft position.

Not really sure how we're gonna be able to take Blakiston in the rookie draft when we already have to take that fraud Sandy rookie

I feel like one of the 3 NGA/FS kids might be passed on - I'd be sending Peckett to Sandy so we can take him as a Sandy rook next year because he's not getting a seniors game in 2025 anyway. Just need to make sure a rival club doesn't take him
I’d actually abandon the arrangement and cut our losses. Yes, some initial backlash, but no AFL team has a similar rookie arrangement and the club should be selecting the best possible.

Also, if there is a standout Sandy player in the future, they could be simply drafted by another club in the national or rookie draft. Unless Saints have a pick before that possible club.

I’d just back Goddard to lift standards and to attract talent to the VFL club.

I know Charlie Dean had his fans a few years ago, it seems he hasn't been offered a contract yet. What are the knocks on him? He seems to have solid numbers.

I know Denver-Barras has been called a list clogger on here, but I still think the natural talent is there. I think he is being unfairly dismissed by everyone. A Ross Lyon system where he needs to work his butt off could be perfect for him.

Phillips is a bit of a concern, from what I've seen in the VFL he isn't overly quick and he tends to mark in dangerous spots. Sounds weird that he can mark it and its negative but I see situations where he should punch and would be mauled by a bigger and more experienced forward in the big time.

If we think we can develop or trade (next year) a long term option, I'm not against Tomlinson as a stop gap.

Darragh Joyce was a solid back up for a premiership team this year. To say AFL rejects are useless is completely unreasonable, they are usually better than most state league players.

Phillips was delisted because Hawthorn found better players, that's it. Doesn't make him a bad player. Tim Membrey is about to be delisted for the 2nd time in his career. Mason Wood was once delisted. The list goes on

Literally the guy you're arguing with me about, Adam Tomlinson, has just been delisted

You say Hawthorn are screaming for defenders - you have to judge it with context. Hawthorn have a ton of cap room and they clearly don't see any other holes in their list so they've gone all in on elite key defenders because where else would they spend the money? Now that they're stacked with key talls; Barrass Battle Sicily Frost Scrimshaw, it obviously pushes others out

Im confident you have never played the game at an adult level - let alone have any understanding of the nuisances of the game. You carry on like you are all time oracle of the AFL, but in reality you are a just another KBW. Im now putting you on Ignore Im tired of reading your snot, I suggest you do the same for me.

Im confident you have never played the game at an adult level - let alone have any understanding of the nuisances of the game. You carry on like you are all time oracle of the AFL, but in reality you are a just another KBW. Im now putting you on Ignore Im tired of reading your snot, I suggest you do the same for me.
You're confident about a lot of things...

It's ok bro, you admit defeat by putting me on ignore. Maybe can spend more time learning how to spell nuance:straining:

I’d actually abandon the arrangement and cut our losses. Yes, some initial backlash, but no AFL team has a similar rookie arrangement and the club should be selecting the best possible.

Also, if there is a standout Sandy player in the future, they could be simply drafted by another club in the national or rookie draft. Unless Saints have a pick before that possible club.

I’d just back Goddard to lift standards and to attract talent to the VFL club.
I'm sure we'd love to abandon it but is that an option only a year into the agreement? Surely we're in some way legally binded to the agreement or something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's the other guy that's the keyboard warrior 🙄

I know Charlie Dean had his fans a few years ago, it seems he hasn't been offered a contract yet. What are the knocks on him? He seems to have solid numbers.

I know Denver-Barras has been called a list clogger on here, but I still think the natural talent is there. I think he is being unfairly dismissed by everyone. A Ross Lyon system where he needs to work his butt off could be perfect for him.

Phillips is a bit of a concern, from what I've seen in the VFL he isn't overly quick and he tends to mark in dangerous spots. Sounds weird that he can mark it and its negative but I see situations where he should punch and would be mauled by a bigger and more experienced forward in the big time.

If we think we can develop or trade (next year) a long term option, I'm not against Tomlinson as a stop gap.

Darragh Joyce was a solid back up for a premiership team this year. To say AFL rejects are useless is completely unreasonable, they are usually better than most state league players.
Charlie Dean is a good kid, got thrown to the wolves a bit.

I'm sure we'd love to abandon it but is that an option only a year into the agreement? Surely we're in some way legally binded to the agreement or something?
List spots are a premium and should be treated as such. Take Cole/Hoffman/Peckett who have we can somewhat justify as Sandringham players and work harder at attracting/developing AFL level talent for next year.
The likes of Hotton shouldn’t be delisted for some micky mouse rule to honour an agreement when many of our VFL Players would struggle in some of Victoria’s premium local leagues

List spots are a premium and should be treated as such. Take Cole/Hoffman/Peckett who have we can somewhat justify as Sandringham players and work harder at attracting/developing AFL level talent for next year.
The likes of Hotton shouldn’t be delisted for some micky mouse rule to honour an agreement when many of our VFL Players would struggle in some of Victoria’s premium local leagues
Well put! if it’s Hotton vs the sandy best of the rest. Take Hotton every day of the week.
And as another poster articulated, best case we attract and develop great talent! but have no ability to ring fence it. And have a small chance at retaining.

Last edited:

All of them are VFL level and not even GOPs. Lions fans I know thought Joyce was the worst player on a list.

Fans are banging on about taking two mids with our first picks, later picks could become about needs, lose Hayes & Membrey, we are thin on key position. Cole becomes a thing because he's academy & easy. Ideal? maybe no.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back