List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t like the Sandy deal but couldn’t care less if it stays. If we’re focussing on the 44th player on our list this much we’ve got bigger problems. Let’s focus on getting the right 1st to 30th players.
That's the thing sometimes the 44th taken player can become your teams No 1 eg Newcombe Hawthorn taken in a MSD from Box Hill. Teams simply can't afford to be giving list spots to known spuds, particularly in years like this draft year. We have an opportunity to add a number of quality kids to our list this year and address our list voids, its madness to be throwing a position at Sandringham player who none of fit a list need. We could take a ruckman at position 44 who could become our future No 1, it wont happen if we give that spot to a Sandi spud.

Last edited:
Wait wait wait wait wait. So we HAVE to rookie draft at least one player from Sandringham Zebras? Every year? Or just a former Zebra has to be on the list at some point? I gotta tell ya, that sounds like a bush league move.
Not just that, the player who wins the spot over a more deserving player who could be chosen from the whole rest of Australia gets their very own participation trophy and a happy meal voucher.

That's the thing sometimes the 44th taken player can become your teams No 1 eg Newcombe Hawthorn taken in a MSD from Box Hill. Teams simply can't afford to be giving list spots to known spuds, particularly in years like this draft year. We have an opportunity to add a number of quality kids to our list this year and address our list voids, its madness to be throwing a position at Sandringham player who none of fit a list need. We could take a ruckman at position 44 who could become our future No 1, it wont happen if we give that spot to a Sandi spud.
I see your point Steele brother, but the 43rd player could become a gun, or perhaps your 42nd or your 41st, or your 34th, or your 29th, or your 17th etc etc. chances are by 44, you’ll likely have a fail so I say let’s focus on the other end of the list.

Not just that, the player who wins the spot over a more deserving player who could be chosen from the whole rest of Australia gets their very own participation trophy and a happy meal voucher.
We will be taking two rookies. This means whoever the Sandy listed player is who gets taken will be at around pick 24 in the rookie draft.

The average players selected in the rookie drafts over the last two years was 25.

I mean, its POSSIBLE the next Gary Abblett is the one available at that pick 25.

Or what you could do is create a further incentive over the basic VFL salary cap which isn't competitive versus the bush leagues anyway and gain genuine interest from prospective talent as a promise of a rookie contract is a lot surer way of getting there then the regular draft which is nigh impossible to even get a look in at.

Its not exactly a high risk gamble and may prove to entice genuinely better players to sign up. Hell, we may even find a player worthwhile through it.

WTF is the point of this attitude. Going off about a bunch of young guys who train three times a week and also play on top of full time work like that is just ****ing perplexing.

Last edited:
As St.Kilda reserves out of RSEA Park, of course! It should've been done years ago.

A club united at its home venue in Moorabbin, not on the windswept, postage stamp sized TBBO. Sandringham can please itself.

I used to love following the zebs, but they're unwatchable now and the alliance has harmed, rather than helped player development.
Everything on field is already run by us. The same players running around in a saints jumper instead of a zebra jumper would make zero difference to their development.

And anyway, the players were developing fine at Sandy this year. Almost everyone who went back there returned to the senior side a better player. Isn't that what we want?

Last edited:
I don’t wanna knock the Zebs down, and if we leave them, perhaps they’ll fold?

Dunno, but as to your point, I don’t think we’ve helped them much ladder wise.

They were triple premiers when we got married, and they tanked almost immediately after they got a bit of our thing.
Likely.

It’s a terrible idea. You don’t see successful clubs having such a similar strategy. When I see Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, etc do the same thing, then I might change my mind. Until then..

You might as well give Allison another year.
Geelong has effectively an entire league they can harvest for players and hide them if desired.

Swans are blessed with their academy.

Pies effectively sit in the middle of both with their father sons and finances allowing for them to stick recruiters wherever they please.

Everything field is already run by us. The same players running around in a saints jumper instead of a zebra jumper would make zero difference to their development.

And anyway, the players were developing fine at Sandy this year. Almost everyone who went back there returned to the senior side a better player. Isn't that what we want?
The arrangement has potential to be really helpful. Every year a bunch of guys get delisted without playing a game, rookie spots are meant to be for development purposes as much as anything.

Sandy haven't made finals the whole time we've been aligned have they? They used to be a VFL powerhouse. The Dragons are the best team in u18. We need to find a way to get more out of the alignment and this could help.

If we were to pull out now it would be absolutely amateur.

The thing is that the odds of the 44th player being that guy are very slim. There are always outliers but mostly that guy ends up delisted very quickly.
So the experiment hasn't payed immediate dividends in its 1st year, but what if it pays of next year, or in 2 years. Building a model for sustained success requires investment.

In a year we have 2 top 10 picks, 2 NGAs and 1 FS available to us, this conversation about the 44th list spot is just silly. Take our medicine this time and see if Sandy get a couple of better players in next year.

The thing is that the odds of the 44th player being that guy are very slim. There are always outliers but mostly that guy ends up delisted very quickly.
So the experiment hasn't payed immediate dividends in its 1st year, but what if it pays of next year, or in 2 years. Building a model for sustained success requires investment.

In a year we have 2 top 10 picks, 2 NGAs and 1 FS available to us, this conversation about the 44th list spot is just silly. Take our medicine this time and see if Sandy get a couple of better players in next year.
Exactly. We have to have patience to see if the agreement attracts better talent over a few years instead of just saying it doesnt within the first 12 months before it's had any time to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t see it at all with Hall Kahan. Delisted once and then he was pretty average at Sandy.

Yeah, I'd probably rather go for Vesely or whatever his name is. Looks raw but has something that a run in a full-time pro environment might extract.

No way?!! Surely Zebs don’t have a recruiter. They can’t. No one could be that bad at their job.

For 15 years.

It's budget. We don't want to fund the top up players.

It's budget. We don't want to fund the top up players.
It’s not designed to fund top ups 😂

The link and Rookie offer is supposed to entice the young stars that missed out in the U18s or the best from leagues like the Smnl EFL Vafa etc

The club needs to take a zebs player and not look for a loophole this year and show that it is genuine in its offering.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back