List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Your last comment is interesting. Hawks don't have a guarantee of a list spot, don't think any other club does or ever will. Yet they are successfully attracting talent.

Hawthorn and Newcombe used very questionable tactics to get what they wanted. Didn't the AFL change the rules after they exploited it?

I don't agree that Hawthorn have mined Box Hill. In fact, this year we picked up the best Box Hill player before them. A look at their history shows they've had a few hits, Mitchell & Newcombe the obvious ones. But there were plenty more who have played at Box Hill and been drafted to other clubs.

Anyway, I expect to be joked about or mocked now that I've questioned this. But I think it's irresponsible of the club to give up a spot.

If I was the club and had the idea, I would've asked the AFL for an opportunity to grow the VFL and Sandy by offering a Cat B rookie spot...

I don't like it, I understand the theory as has been explained plenty. Some will understand the long game, others will find it irresponsible. It's one of those decisions where it will only be agreed upon in 10 years time, just like our move to Seaford.
Not sure if they have changed it, but yes, they got him to put a stack of coin on his head so that no one else could pick him.

Didn't Sam Gilbert do something like this in 2019?
I don’t know to be honest I’m thinking back to the days when we had seconds and u/19’s. A senior guy who’d been around was usually the captain of the two’s and played a mentoring role.

I’m just thinking of how to get sandy an extra experienced player whilst using the spot to give something back to a veteran who’s not ready to hang them up and has given great service.

I was a fan of the veterans allowance and think that anyone who supports father sons and likes a bit of romance in the game should demand it be brought back. It annoys me watching a guy like membrey suiting up for Collingwood.

Not sure if they have changed it, but yes, they got him to put a stack of coin on his head so that no one else could pick him.
Yeah - they changed the terms of the rookie draft to match normal draft rules after Hawthorn got Newcombe by having him nominate a higher than normally allowed salary for his second year as part of his draft nomination.

Now all draftees (including mid season or rookie draftees who have never been on a list before) get the standard 1st/2nd years salary under the CBA.

Yes we pinched one from Box Hill, but we then didn't keep him in the midfield which i thought was why we recruited him? what was the point?
There are soooo many possible reasons for this

He needed to learn our system and its easier to do so from half forward to understand running patterns etc

Maybe we want him playing a hybrid fwd/mid role at AFL level so we have to train his forward craft

Maybe we see him as a permanent half forward

Maybe we just want to find another position for him for the flexibility and versatility

He also did get a few cbas later in the season assuming because he'd familiarised with the game plan and system

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back