List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I've admired Members in his time at the saints, the reality is, while we could have squeezed some more serviceable footy out of him, he is not the future. Caminiti, Owens, Sharman and Keeler are.

It's a pity we couldn't get anything for him trade wise, but as a UFA, we never were. The club has done the right thing and ripped the bandaid off.

Not only will it give the young players greater opportunities for development, it frees up a very valuable list spot.

PS. In case you were wondering, I have a Masters' Degree in "Stating the Bleeding Obvious!"
Nick Offerman Smile GIF

Last edited:

There is a recent trend of players wanting to be traded to the club they grew up supporting.

Over the past three seasons, we’ve seen Nick Coffield, Josh Battle, Jack Ginnivan, Harry Perryman, Alex Neal-Bullen, Liam Baker, Isak Rankine, Will Setterfield, Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Luke Jackson all return to their childhood team.

So how can St Kilda take advantage of this?

Here is a list of opposition players that grew up supporting the Saints (there would be more I’m not aware of).

Out of contract at the end of 2025
Tom De Koning (RFA)
Miles Bergman
Brayden Fiorini (UFA)
Matt Crouch (UFA)
Darcy Tucker
Liam Jones

An interesting quote on De Koning from Carlton’s website - “De Koning would ultimately be handed the No.12 guernsey at his new club, which was his old club: he supported Carlton as a kid before his childhood hero Nick Riewoldt – whose number he would wear at Ikon Park - swung him to the team from Moorabbin.”

Was our mega contract offer to Jacob Weitering just a ploy to squeeze the Blues’ salary cap so they couldn’t match an offer for De Koning next year? How can we leverage Riewoldt’s return to Australia?

Miles Bergman is the other one of this year’s list of note. We are always linked with him. His old man played a few games for our reserves.

Out of contract at the end of 2026
Ben King (2026 - RFA)
Ollie Murphy (2026)
Henry Hustwaite (2026)
Jack Bowes (2026)
Karl Amon (2026)

Ollie Murphy could be one to watch here. A raw 200cm defender who is yet to make his debut for Fremantle, he couldn’t have been a more passionate Saint growing up. Pre draft when asked about possibly being picked by St Kilda, he commented “That’d be amazing. It’d be a lifelong dream, but I can’t get too ahead of myself. But if it was, I couldn’t put words to it.”

Henry Hustwaite - a 195cm midfielder - might be another to track if he can’t crack a regular position in the Hawthorn on ball brigade.

Out of contract at the end of 2027
Griffen Logue (2027)

Out of contract at the end of 2028
Koltyn Tholstrup (2028)
Jye Caldwell (2028 - RFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2029
Eric Hipwood (2029 - UFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2032
Connor Rozee (2032 - UFA)

As we have seen with Josh Battle recently, the opposite can obviously occur with a Saint leaving to their childhood club.

Looking at our current list and who they grew up going for, North Melbourne (Mitch Owens & Darcy Wilson) and Port Adelaide (Mattaes Phillipou) are the teams to be wary of.

Hayes - Adelaide

Schoenmaker - Carlton

Steele - Collingwood
Butler - Collingwood
Hotton - Collingwood

Sharman - Essendon

Collard - Fremantle

Macrae - Hawthorn
Windhager - Hawthorn
Keeler - Hawthorn
Henry - Hawthorn

Owens - North Melbourne
Dow - North Melbourne
Wilson - North Melbourne
Wood - North Melbourne

Phillipou - Port Adelaide

Clark - Richmond

Jones - St Kilda
Higgins - St Kilda
NWM - St Kilda
King - St Kilda
Stocker - St Kilda
Sinclair - St Kilda

Hill - West Coast

Cordy - Western Bulldogs

Byrnes - ?
Marshall - ?
Howard - ?
Hastie - ?
Webster - ?
Garcia - ?
Hall - ?
McLennan - ?
Heath - ?
Wilkie - ?
O’Connell - ?
Caminiti - ?
Is this really such a big factor? I feel like most of those recent moves (with Battle being one of the exceptions) had other circumstances (wanting to move back to their home state, better money/longer contract/more guaranteed game time etc.) that were much more important than the team they followed as a kid. Sure, it might help in a 50/50 situation to get someone over the line, but I would be surprised if for most cases it ever had any more impact than that.

Is this really such a big factor? I feel like most of those recent moves (with Battle being one of the exceptions) had other circumstances (wanting to move back to their home state, better money/longer contract/more guaranteed game time etc.) that were much more important than the team they followed as a kid. Sure, it might help in a 50/50 situation to get someone over the line, but I would be surprised if for most cases it ever had any more impact than that.
I'd say it would impact less than 1% of players decision making.

I'm a saints die-hard, but if I were an 18 year old entering the AFL system I'd probably rather get drafted to a Hawthorn, Geelong or Collingwood.

I'm sure their managers would talk them out of making career decision off of sentiment.

Here is a list of opposition players that grew up supporting the Saints (there would be more I’m not aware of).

Liam Jones
Liam's dad Bob Jones played 20 games for St Kilda.

As a club I think we may have the greatest number of Father Sons not playing for their Father's Club (as none had played 100 games with us).

There is a recent trend of players wanting to be traded to the club they grew up supporting.

Over the past three seasons, we’ve seen Nick Coffield, Josh Battle, Jack Ginnivan, Harry Perryman, Alex Neal-Bullen, Liam Baker, Isak Rankine, Will Setterfield, Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Luke Jackson all return to their childhood team.

So how can St Kilda take advantage of this?

Tom De Koning (RFA)
Miles Bergman
Brayden Fiorini (UFA)
Matt Crouch (UFA)
Darcy Tucker
Liam Jones

An interesting quote on De Koning from Carlton’s website - “De Koning would ultimately be handed the No.12 guernsey at his new club, which was his old club: he supported Carlton as a kid before his childhood hero Nick Riewoldt – whose number he would wear at Ikon Park - swung him to the team from Moorabbin.”

Was our mega contract offer to Jacob Weitering just a ploy to squeeze the Blues’ salary cap so they couldn’t match an offer for De Koning next year? How can we leverage Riewoldt’s return to Australia?

Miles Bergman is the other one of this year’s list of note. We are always linked with him. His old man played a few games for our reserves.

Out of contract at the end of 2026
Ben King (2026 - RFA)
Ollie Murphy (2026)
Henry Hustwaite (2026)
Jack Bowes (2026)
Karl Amon (2026)

Ollie Murphy could be one to watch here. A raw 200cm defender who is yet to make his debut for Fremantle, he couldn’t have been a more passionate Saint growing up. Pre draft when asked about possibly being picked by St Kilda, he commented “That’d be amazing. It’d be a lifelong dream, but I can’t get too ahead of myself. But if it was, I couldn’t put words to it.”

Henry Hustwaite - a 195cm midfielder - might be another to track if he can’t crack a regular position in the Hawthorn on ball brigade.

Out of contract at the end of 2027
Griffen Logue (2027)

Out of contract at the end of 2028
Koltyn Tholstrup (2028)
Jye Caldwell (2028 - RFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2029
Eric Hipwood (2029 - UFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2032
Connor Rozee (2032 - UFA)

As we have seen with Josh Battle recently, the opposite can obviously occur with a Saint leaving to their childhood club.

Looking at our current list and who they grew up going for, North Melbourne (Mitch Owens & Darcy Wilson) and Port Adelaide (Mattaes Phillipou) are the teams to be wary of.

Hayes - Adelaide

Schoenmaker - Carlton

Steele - Collingwood
Butler - Collingwood
Hotton - Collingwood

Sharman - Essendon

Collard - Fremantle

Macrae - Hawthorn
Windhager - Hawthorn
Keeler - Hawthorn
Henry - Hawthorn

Owens - North Melbourne
Dow - North Melbourne
Wilson - North Melbourne
Wood - North Melbourne

Phillipou - Port Adelaide

Clark - Richmond

Jones - St Kilda
Higgins - St Kilda
NWM - St Kilda
King - St Kilda
Stocker - St Kilda
Sinclair - St Kilda

Hill - West Coast

Cordy - Western Bulldogs

Byrnes - ?
Marshall - ?
Howard - ?
Hastie - ?
Webster - ?
Garcia - ?
Hall - ?
McLennan - ?
Heath - ?
Wilkie - ?
O’Connell - ?
Caminiti - ?
How we didn't take advantage of the Jack Bowes deal when he is a saints supporter and we could have doubled up with pick 7 is beyond me. All this salary cap space and nothing to use it on either.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back