List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked through our list again & trying to predict who will get the cut at the end of the season.

Definate's:

Allison, Campbell, Jones, Ross

Maybe's:

Bonner, Hayes, Hotton, McLennan, Membrey, Paton, Stocker, Webster

Crouch-dependant on where his knee is at?
Hasn't Bonner got a 3 year contract?
Crouch has now another year
Stocker has another year

I think definitely would be cut

Allison
Jones
Hayes

Maybes include
Campbell
Membrey
Hotton

Hasn't Bonner got a 3 year contract?
Crouch has now another year
Stocker has another year

I think definitely would be cut

Allison
Jones
Hayes

Maybes include
Campbell
Membrey
Hotton
Where did you see Bonner 3 years? Don't think that's a thing

We could pay Crouch out - his knee is cooked and multiple sources have suggested he won't play again

Seb will be cut too

With all due respects perhaps Aboriginals should be doing the advising on Aboriginal matters.

Dude I usually agree with you on things but he’s obviously devoted his time and energy to help which is more than most of us who have good intentions but sit on our arses. Not sure he’s the person you should be potting.

Dude I usually agree with you on things but he’s obviously devoted his time and energy to help which is more than most of us who have good intentions but sit on our arses. Not sure he’s the person you should be potting.

Wasn't having a crack at him at all mate and apologies if it game across like that. Very grateful for his contribution to Aboriginals. I am referring to clubs like Hawthorn that he mentioned who believe that they know what is right for Aboriginals. Apologies to Sunshine Sainter if it caused any offence. Would actually be very interested in what it is that you do. Have deleted my post so not tp cause any issues.

Last edited:
Where did you see Bonner 3 years? Don't think that's a thing

We could pay Crouch out - his knee is cooked and multiple sources have suggested he won't play again

Seb will be cut too
The Crouch situation is interesting. I hope he recovers enough to at least run out his contract in VFL and be emergency cover. It's only worth paying him out if we can draft a proper good kid to fill his spot but l don't see us having the picks to do it.

Honestly mate, we've looked like a dogs breakfast for large parts of games this year. If you want to believe that's 100% on the players, and coaches shouldn't be held accountable, knock yourself out.
Honestly mate take a look at the deplorable skills some weeks just needed Benny hill music - handballs to guys with a defender next to them, bombs into 50 from headless chook mids (cause talent in there is top notch right??), turnovers, inability to win a contest forward of centre and score etc ….thats capability
Do I believe coaches at times have tweaked how we play due to available personnel? Of course
Do I think Lyon goes into matches telling players “just kick about 5/7 goals lads …no more please…”no
You keep believing coaches pull these magical levers from the box to make players do dumb Shiit at times
I think the weight of performance is more about the cattle…

You would have been one of the plonkers justifying trading out high picks to top up when we hadn't drafted a core. We have been drafting and should continue drafting. We shouldn't be selling off young best 22 players to go harder into the draft and make ourselves less competitive.

We are finally getting to a point where we could literally have the best of both worlds and potentially challenge while Wilkie, Sincs and Marshall types are still on the list.

Instead we are looking at hacking right back and hoping that in 5 to 8 years we can have more weapons than North and Gold Coast type lists. Even Brisbane keeps getting gifts from the AFL that should make them even better in a few years.

Waiting for some goldilocks list will buy them time but they promised to stay competitive while building the youth. If Lyon has brought in his people and remodelled the list how he wants it he should be able to do what he promised. Should be playing finals next year.
You’d be wrong on picking plonkers then but then you’ve been changing your views like your jocks ..
One minute it’s : Ratts has to go Lyon will bring system/discipline
1.5 years in…
Lyons gotta go - “I’ve been lied to” this list should be top 6
Like that gets us anywhere??
For what it’s worth - I’d have traded a few out previous years to hit the draft we’ve had a decade of more in no man’s land
Worst thing we do now is finish 10th fir some “feel good vibes” till a top 4 side belts us again to remind where this list is at
I’m happy to selectively give up something now to get a crack at early selection where history tells you the talent normally is
It’s not about selling the farm or doing a Nth …you can do both
Good clubs know when to let players go vs what’s “must retain”

The notion that the coaches are completely devoid of responsibility when it comes to poor performances is absolutely ridiculous.
I don’t think anyone with half a brain believes that
It’s what portion of those performances do you put on coaching vs capabilities to play the style of footy the coaches want ???
Who tells (and yes he’s a kid who will learn) Darcy Wilson to telegraph every run pass handball to Brad Hill while the opponents sag off just waiting for it? I don’t think that’s a coaching directive
I think some of our players just have poor footy IQ at times

Whats your argument exactly? That he was playing better before two shoulder surgeries and bone bruising on his knee?
He was by all reports primed the shred the league's fullbacks last year till Dougal pulled his arm out of its socket.
A long term contract for a marque player can help the club juggle its TTP money around the 95% spend rule and not over pay its foot soldiers ..whilst maintaining the ability to attract and afford to pay a game breaking mid.☺️
As well as keep going to the draft.

You’d be wrong on picking plonkers then but then you’ve been changing your views like your jocks ..
One minute it’s : Ratts has to go Lyon will bring system/discipline
1.5 years in…
Lyons gotta go - “I’ve been lied to” this list should be top 6
Like that gets us anywhere??
For what it’s worth - I’d have traded a few out previous years to hit the draft we’ve had a decade of more in no man’s land
Worst thing we do now is finish 10th fir some “feel good vibes” till a top 4 side belts us again to remind where this list is at
I’m happy to selectively give up something now to get a crack at early selection where history tells you the talent normally is
It’s not about selling the farm or doing a Nth …you can do both
Good clubs know when to let players go vs what’s “must retain”

If you misrepresent what I say you sound like an idiot. I've never said Ross Lyon should be sacked. I have said he should be held to exactly the same standard as any other coach. If he can't perform to a level that's expected he will and should come under pressure no different to him being Ratts or Adam Simpson.

This list is a partially built list with a very good senior crew and promising youth. We are in a similar build level to clubs like Essendon, Freo, Port etc. We should be in the sides sitting between probably 5th to 13th range. Obviously had injury to two areas with no injury cover so he gets let off for this year but by next year he'd want to start to move forward. He';ll get an easier fixture and the youth will be another year advanced. He should have a very clear idea of what players he needs to fill holes.

If we start losing players and go backwards he needs to go like any other coach. We have been hitting the draft which is why we have a huge group under 22. The way you get better quickly is to have those youth come on like Phillipou did last week. If Owens, Phillipou and Wilson come on fast and guys like Garcia, Schoenmaker and Hastie start to rise all of a sudden you have pressure for spots and surge. We'll get another top pick this year for our shit year and hopefully we won't have access to another high pick for ten years.

A bit of talk around some Richmond players, Baker, Bolton, Dusty, Rioli. Sounds like Baker to Freo could have some legs. You'd think Dusty and Rioli if they leave are moving to Queensland. Now I realise it's very unlikely Shai would choose to come to us, just interested in the hypothetical of what a trade would look like to secure him. He's 25 years old, contracted for four more years I think. Say a team offered a six year deal on big, big money, what do you good big footy people think would satisfy the Tiges in a trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McClennan is Wilkie clone. Quality player rarely gets beaten. I think his disposal inefficiencies are overstated.
No offense intended, but I think this whole post is overstated!

And the cloning process needs a few hundred more years of development.

But he's young, and getting named emergency is a promising development.

McClennan is Wilkie clone. Quality player rarely gets beaten. I think his disposal inefficiencies are overstated.
Overstated by the coaches? They're the ones that have said Gus needs to work on his ball use and that's backed up by a couple of costly turnovers per game

How many changes do we think we'll make the year? You'd assume we'd be hoping to bring in 3-5 players in the National Draft, 3 in the rookie (Cole, Hoffman, and Sandy player), bring Max Hall on to the main list and leave 1 spot open for the SPP?

We'd also look to bring in a back up ruck, and maybe a Liam Henry esq young player with promise type trade.

So 9-11 changes? That seems a lot, but I'll make my guess as:

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)
One of Jones/Ross (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Pick 24 (Best KPP, I'd love Jonty Faull)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

Pretty decent turn around, and our list demographic changes dramatically in one off-season.

How many changes do we think we'll make the year? You'd assume we'd be hoping to bring in 3-5 players in the National Draft, 3 in the rookie (Cole, Hoffman, and Sandy player), bring Max Hall on to the main list and leave 1 spot open for the SPP?

We'd also look to bring in a back up ruck, and maybe a Liam Henry esq young player with promise type trade.

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

Pretty decent turn around, and our list demographic changes dramatically in one off-season.
Hotton won’t be delisted. He will get another year

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

McLennan will get another year, he's in the emergencies this week and is one of the few VFL kids to actually show promise and a linear development in a position of need. Hotton looked ok last weekend too so if he keeps the form up he might get rookied or re-signed. I think its him vs Hall

Ross is 100% gone, Jones is about 80% unless he goes crazy tomorrow

Jagga @ 5 is starting to look unlikely with WCE looming and Reid @ 6 is a reach imo (some will have differing opinions). I think we're very likely to take Lalor @ 6 and maybe Trainor @ 5 as best available (but hopefully its one of Jagga or Draper). If we miss Jagga and Draper @ 5, really hope we split the pick into 2 teens picks for Moraes and a Hotton/Reid/Travaglia

Agree with Jonty @ 24, that would be an absolute steal but now that he's fully fit he'll probably climb draft boards

Regarding academy and F/S kids, I think we'll take a maximum of 2. Cole + Linder/Hofmann/Peckett. Hall-Kahan doesn't deserve the Sandy spot, he's way too lazy it seems. Would rather a kpp project like Will Vesely

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

Probably end up chasing a few freebie or cheap recycled players too.

On the face of it, it would seem very foolish to have Battle leave for top line FA compo only to use that FA compo on someone who plays Battle's position. I can intellectually understand the argument on turning Battle into a mid, but not a like-for-like but 7 years younger and yet to be proven KPD. That seems like insanity.

McLennan will get another year, he's in the emergencies this week and is one of the few VFL kids to actually show promise and a linear development in a position of need. Hotton looked ok last weekend too so if he keeps the form up he might get rookied or re-signed. I think its him vs Hall

Ross is 100% gone, Jones is about 80% unless he goes crazy tomorrow

Jagga @ 5 is starting to look unlikely with WCE looming and Reid @ 6 is a reach imo (some will have differing opinions). I think we're very likely to take Lalor @ 6 and maybe Trainor @ 5 as best available (but hopefully its one of Jagga or Draper)

Agree with Jonty @ 24, that would be an absolute steal but now that he's fully fit he'll probably climb draft boards

Regarding academy and F/S kids, I think we'll take a maximum of 2. Cole + Linder/Hofmann/Peckett. Hall-Kahan doesn't deserve the Sandy spot, he's way too lazy it seems. Would rather a kpp project like Will Vesely

McLennan is what position though? He's sort of an accountable marking HB but not overly tall. A short third tall back? He doesn't seem to be a runner and more a stay on his player and intercept type to me. Ari looks like the long term Battle replacement and not sure where McLennan fits in. Do you think he's taking Webster's spot when he retires?

Jagga looks one of the few that will more than likely to be a gun so I think he probably does go before we get a go at him. Lalor and Reid are both a similar level IMO. Both just off the absolute best players. Once the Champs are over we should have a much better idea of where they all sit. Even guys like Gross and Langford could push up into that range.

Trainor looks better than a lot of the mids we have been talking about. It will shit me if we take a tall but as long as we pick up a mid with our second pick I guess it works out.

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

Wow thats a huge list of outs, I hope we dont have that number of players turned over. McLennan would be really stiff to get delisted he has shown enough at VFL to suggest he will be a long term replacement for Webster/Stocker. I would love to keep Hayes on the list but his knee might be stuffed similiarly to Crouch.

I am not convinced Cole will make it. In the modern game you need tall players who can intercept the ball in the air and/or give some drive out of defence - he doesnt provide either. I think if there are other options available later in the draft the club would be much better positioned than taking Cole. I dont know how many rookie positions we will have available, obviously some will get promoted to the main list but if there are vacancies Cole will be really fortunate to get one.

The pickings are slim with grabbing a rookie from Sandringham but Hall-Kahn shouldnt be considered as an option. He was delisted from Sydney for a reason. He looks a stylish player at times, but simply doesnt impact VFL games enough to warrant a call up. A young tall forward who is in and out of the team because of the Saints squad - Will Vesely would be my call, he is still raw but shows enough forward ablity to have something to build on.

Last edited:

Out

Battle (UFA)
Membrey (FA)
Paton (Traded)
Hotton (Delisted)
Campbell (Delisted)
Hayes (Delisted)
Allison (Delisted)
McClennan (Delisted)

In

Pick 5 (J.Smith)
Pick 6 (M. Reid)
Peckett
Hall
Cole
Hoffman
Hall-Kahan
Back-up ruck (Pittonet)

good post,this is what we should be discussing,instead of having to wade through the same arguments being restarted and rehashed all the time,someone else started a similar post,but it got swallowed up by all the bs

if jones isnt a lock to be delisted then our club is not serious,i think seb is getting a very broad hint of what the future holds right now,without looking back i think 9 is about the right amount we move off the list one way or another every season

On the face of it, it would seem very foolish to have Battle leave for top line FA compo only to use that FA compo on someone who plays Battle's position. I can intellectually understand the argument on turning Battle into a mid, but not a like-for-like but 7 years younger and yet to be proven KPD. That seems like insanity.
If we get it I’m for splitting it with gold coast. They can get ahead of the Lombard pick and we can get another two first rounders

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back