Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

They were always genuinely baffling and mostly from people who have nfi

The bloke absolutely dominated VFL level
The good judges knew that it was only a matter of time and patience before X was a good AFL player
He had 32 contested possessions in a VFL game at one point.

He should have a chat with the DeKoning brother's, one in particular, not sure which, rapidly developed from skinny beanpole into AFL ready condition.

Didn't Corey whack on an amazing amount of weight in a very short period ?
Remember an interview / article about salad rolls being snacks, whole roast chickens, banana smoothies......

Speaking of Xerri, he has played zero games in his first two seasons as well, despite being arguably more physically ready for senior footy. Nothing wrong with the ruckman taking time to develop.

Im all for taking time. No dramas.

But he's averaging like .7 touches a game. You can get 5 by accident the play footy is played these days.
Really weird.

Im all for taking time. No dramas.

But he's averaging like .7 touches a game. You can get 5 by accident the play footy is played these days.
Really weird.

Again, he’s being taught how to play football

Basketball background, new to football, playing at a speed and intensity hes ill equipped for at this stage, and likely the next 2-3 years

Again, he’s being taught how to play football

Basketball background, new to football, playing at a speed and intensity hes ill equipped for at this stage, and likely the next 2-3 years

Again, this may be right.

But with a pick in the 20s, which we have ****ed up again and again and again and as the worst performed team for decades, I think there are some reasonable grounds to ask whether we are in a position to take a risk like that.

We need every player picked in the first two rounds to make it, because we've failed so dismally with players outside of that range and from other clubs. And I mean every player.

Please don't mistake the above for a misunderstanding of improvement curves and developmental steps.

But with a pick in the 20s, which we have ****ed up again and again and again and as the worst performed team for decades, I think there are some reasonable grounds to ask whether we are in a position to take a risk like that.

We need every player picked in the first two rounds to make it, because we've failed so dismally with players outside of that range and from other clubs. And I mean every player.

Please don't mistake the above for a misunderstanding of improvement curves and developmental steps.

I think you are correct re draft failures from the 2010-2015 periods, which is why we are in the position we are now.

That age should be our core driving us to wins.

But the lack of success with picks from 2017 onwards, despite some misses which every club has, is fake news.

Nick Larkey - All Aust
Tristan Xerri playing like an All Aust
Cam Zuhaar

For picks in the 70’ or later

Comben in the 30’s

Curtis in the 30’s

Kal Dawson mid season draft

Then factor in turning an out the door JHF into wardlaw

The crows were set to swoop on goad at the next pick so it was then or never

On The Couch talked about Sydney keeping Amartey tucked away developing in the 2’s for years, gradually ramping up his number of AFL games each year off a base of only 1 game in each of his first couple.

“That’s what the good clubs do” they added.

Struggling clubs tend to throw them to the wolves too soon and their confidence is shot by 21 when they’re spat out of the system”.

Patience is well and truly required here.
We are the experts at doing this Miller Bergman and Will Dawson are two very recent examples.

We won't really know for 3-5 years. I'm pretty comfortable with the pick given the work they've done with Tristan.
I didn't see it with big X. I just thought he'd be the 2nd/3rd string ruck on our list but he's improved out of sight.

Logan Morris is the only one so far and I'm sure out F2 was on the table for him. He does look good but he's only 191cm and more the 3rd tall and playing in a strong Lions forward line.
Archer Reid and Mitch Edwards I haven't seen much of so it's hard to tell right now.
Collard and Moir perhaps other options taken inside 35 but nobody really jumps out at this point.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back