Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference being, Balta is a gun down back and an average forward, and Blight will never be as good as Balta (or most likely Miller or Gibcus). I think Gibcus is more likely the one to swing around, because we haven't had a look at him forward yet.
Reckon he swung forward once ( maybe kicked a couple or had a couple of set shots ) and looked to lead better than Balta and miller ever have .

Good to hear he is going to be helping out the AFLW and travelling with them to games etc, bodes well for a future leader
shows they value his leadership already, which is a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Josh can get back on the park in 2025 and play out a full season…we need him to

He’s almost a new recruit at this point with the bad kuck he’s had with injuries

I would love to see him managed conservatively.

- A block of VFL games, like 4-5 to start his season, all in one position, behind the ball.

- Another block of low time on ground 50-60% AFL games after maybe 1-2 games as sub, gradually increasing after that.

- Some managed weeks later in the season to keep him a little fresh.

- Conservative management of any injuries, always give him an extra week once he is right.

- If the opportunity arises, try to minimise his exposure to high stress situations.

We should then have him ready to fire as he enters the start of his prime in 2026.

- A block of VFL games, like 4-5 to start his season, all in one position, behind the ball.

- Another block of low time on ground 50-60% AFL games after maybe 1-2 games as sub, gradually increasing after that.

- Conservative management of any injuries, always give him an extra week once he is right.

- If the opportunity arises, try to minimise his exposure to high stress situations.

We should then have him ready to fire as he enters the start of his prime in 2026.
That would mean a cultural shift in fitness and conditioning team

I reckon play him forward , groom him as Big Sexys sidekick
Has shown enough to suggest he is more than capable playing as a fwd. wouldn’t mind seeing more of it. Has talent as a forward and a back.

needs to be in front of the ball clearly and injuries prove it

Great news! This injury has really crippled us as he had "special player" stamped all over him.

Good luck Josh!

His first season of senior footy as a KPD was far superior to what Rance and Grimes were at even after their first few seasons of footy.

It’s a right shame that injuries have crippled his development for the past two seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back