Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had picks 3, 13 ,36, 43, 56

And we have Powell to show for it and tbh he's hardly a topliner.

So while I'm 100% invested in the 'God I hope Wil makes it' crew.

Still find it highly unlikely that he will. So it seems it will be another disastrous draft year for us.

As the years move forward, more and more players from the covid crop of drafting are emerging.

So my point is , this was never was about blardy McDonald.

But FFS, FMD & FML.
We did the right thing and spent the first four picks of that draft on small midfielders. It may not have worked but every team needs heaps of this type. It was the right move considering we'd only taken one the year before. I think we are just really unlucky.

We are well stocked for inside mids and Will is the odd man out at the moment.
other clubs like the dogs and * probably would jump on him

I keep hearing this, yet our inside mids get beaten most weeks.

Would it kill is to try him on a wing or half back? He is a neat kick and those saying he is slow have no idea.

Would it kill is to try him on a wing or half back? He is a neat kick and those saying he is slow have no idea.
I reckon small forward if anything. Rhylee West reinvented himself after early struggles.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We did the right thing and spent the first four picks of that draft on small midfielders. It may not have worked but every team needs heaps of this type. It was the right move considering we'd only taken one the year before. I think we are just really unlucky.

We made our own luck by trading out of the 2019 first round. Serong would be captaining our football club right now.

I would rather he work as a HF. Tell him to lay 5 tackles a game, 2 tackles inside 50. 4-6 inside 50s. It would improve our team.

He is smart and skilled. I just don’t know if he has the fitness to play the role though…

I would rather he work as a HF. Tell him to lay 5 tackles a game, 2 tackles inside 50. 4-6 inside 50s. It would improve our team.

He is smart and skilled. I just don’t know if he has the fitness to play the role though…

He doesn't have the footy stuff or the physical stuff to play there.

And he's absolutely not skilled. He's just not. There has been no example of him being skilled at AFL or VFL level.

He doesn't have the footy stuff or the physical stuff to play there.

And he's absolutely not skilled. He's just not. There has been no example of him being skilled at AFL or VFL level.
He's got pretty good vision and short range disposal imo.

Not Daniel Wells but sharp enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got pretty good vision and short range disposal imo.

Not Daniel Wells but sharp enough.

His vision is below average IMO for his role and short range disposal is also below average. He runs on tracks and can't vary depth or angles with his hands or feet.

Think about the amount of times he's done something deft or truly classy? Not hit a kick when it's front of his eyes or is basic. Not even a glimpse, IMO.

Because glandular fever is a one time/one week, blow it out of your system type illness 🤣
It's quite a brutal illness I had it when I was younger and it lingered in my system for years. The initial infection was nothing more than a cold, but the fatigue that followed it was putrid. If Will is experiencing something similar it makes sense why he seems unable to run, spread and chase at the required level. I hope he improves on what we have seen this year, but he might never get back to pre infection form and fitness. Looking back at his U 18 highlights he definitely played with more zip, lots of second and third efforts.

A cursory glance at the out of contract list suggests there’s at least eight blokes in front of him for the high jump.

Surely he gets another year here if he wants one.

So, the recruiters were supposed to know about Covid before it happened?

LOL. The depth of whinging here is staggering.
No. The recruiters are supposed to see talent like Serong, Kosi, Flanders, Warner, etc, and draft accordingly.

Comben aside, the 2019 draft was a massive **** up which compounded into 2020.

Taking covid out of the equation, the 2020 draft is looking to be the poorest draft year in a decade or so.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's fading, but I still hold some hope for Will to come good ala Darcy Parish.

Ask any hardened * fan what they thought of Parish after 3, 4 or 5 years. Too small, too slow, no hurt factor, wasted pick (#5) etc.

In Darcy's first 5 years he consistenly averaged very similar numbers to what Will put up last year (19-20 disp) before he went nuclear (30+) in his 6th year.

The pedigree and work ethic is there, so I think the best investment is giving him another year or two rather than trade him for another speculative pick 40+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back