Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP - 35d/1.0/10clr/5 I50s/5 tackles vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Same bloke who toe poked away a Freo point in our 1 pt win in, what was it, his second game? Freak
When he did that it sunk in for me that we had something incredibly special. Early days and easy to say in hindsight, but you could just tell it wasn’t lucky. It was genius and it was off the back of him having so much of the pill in his first two games. You could just tell it was real.

That handball interception in the dying seconds was what makes Sheeze the player he is; had that handball got through…

He's hungry as he is talented. Really feels like he's lifting everyone around him and wants to lead the club up the ladder.

That handball interception in the dying seconds was what makes Sheeze the player he is; had that handball got through…
He's hungry as he is talented. Really feels like he's lifting everyone around him and wants to lead the club up the ladder.
That’s what the greats do, they remain extremely calm under extreme pressure and make great decisions in big moments, whilst most players succumb to it.

Like the toe poke to save the game against Freo (his second career game). The gather in traffic and snap at goal against wet toast last year at Optus Stadium after coming back from 6 goals down to put us in front in the dying minutes (which they called a point but it was definitely a goal).

He will do big things in big games, he’s just wired different.

Just as us oldies witnessed Greig, Glendinning, Blight, Carey evolving to greatness, the new generation are seeing greatness developing every time this kid pulls the number 3 jumper on.

We are so lucky.

As an oldie the only players l can remember who took off straight away and made you watch in awe were Jim & Phil.
Even though Keka was the same until a knee injury and his brothers sad death.
Yeah mate I agree, Jim & Phil were freaks to watch just like Swatta and Winnie were, but Sheeze is different.

He has this incredible IQ (Souup call it beautifully), he’s a contortionist in traffic, he’s a puppeteer with the ball - just has it on a string. He plays the game way, way beyond his very young years.

We’re witnessing greatness.

Incredible performance, he's two steps ahead of everyone else on the field. Every single week.
Crikey. At half time yesterday I said something like, "Sheezel has been quiet today".

I reckon he was so slick and clean with the ball that I hardly noticed his involvements.

Second half though, I did recognise his influence on the game. What a performance!

At the ground I actually thought he was struggling to get involved in the first half, then I check and he's had 17 touches. Half of them you miss because his hands are so quick.

Then the game completely changed in the third quarter when he went into the middle
I thought exactly the same thing.

There is actually no logical argument for him not to be in the All Australian Squad at least
Except that one of the selectors is a vindictive, biased, jealous and vitriolic tool who , unlike every other person who watches the game, just cannot "see it" in Harry.

I publicly call on Cornes to stand down from any role he has within the AFL or for the AFL to sack him on the grounds that his shock jock approach and his JHF obsession makes him unfit for any role that requires even a modicum of credibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a few years hecwill get 25 possessions, kick a couple goals, 6 tackles and 5 doal assists and we will all say that was a average game from sheez.
Similar to Carey back in the day, we expect them to dominate every week and when there good games becomes average in our eyes due to higher expectations

…a few weeks later and it’s happening

He should have taken George’s CBAs last week.

I am tipping when games are on the line we will see a midfield of
Xerri
LDU
Harry
George
Colby on a wing
? On the other

Hard, Fast, Class.

As talented as Harry is, his greatness lies elsewhere.

He has the eye of the tiger - whatever you want to call it - he just wills himself into the chaos of games.

He plays as though he's been told he's one crap game from being delisted.

No pressure but Carey had that.

No beep tests, vertical jumps and wrist measurements, can ever predict that intangible.

The only thing better than Sheezel's footballing ability is his character.

You just know he's as loyal as they come and that he'll be wearing blue and white for his whole career, probably as captain for most of it.
Did you see this high level player in his u18's, knew he was good but this beyond good

When he did that it sunk in for me that we had something incredibly special. Early days and easy to say in hindsight, but you could just tell it wasn’t lucky. It was genius and it was off the back of him having so much of the pill in his first two games. You could just tell it was real.
His incredible Footy IQ was on show even then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back