Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm wondering what type of activity we were doing at training for this concussion to be so bad (and lasting) for George. I'd imagine at this time of the year there would be little to no contact at training and more focus on skills and recovery.

I'm wondering what type of activity we were doing at training for this concussion to be so bad (and lasting) for George. I'd imagine at this time of the year there would be little to no contact at training and more focus on skills and recovery.
Has it been confirmed that it's the remnants of that original training concussion, as opposed to a new one from the Geelong game?

Clarko did not seem overly concerned about George’s recent concussion history in today’s presser. Also said he’s been right to go pretty much the last 10 days. Sounds like he’ll play this week, good news with Sheez out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just put another pineapple on George for the Rising Star, i know he has missed a few games but that headbanded Dempsey @ $1.12, and our boy at $21 was irresistable, put in a couple of big ones George, and remind everyone of the true pecking order.
Well George does like a bit of theatre so it wouldn’t surprise me if he came out and smashed it!

He's a perfect coping mechanism for the otherwise completely inexcusable loss last week. Missed our first two wins last year due to being underdone, came in, played in approx. 10 straight losses, got injured, and missed the R23 win too.

Then this year he finally played in a win, got injured, and missed the next two wins. Playing in one win in seven would be a diabolical record for a guy so firmly entrenched in our best 22

He's a perfect coping mechanism for the otherwise completely inexcusable loss last week. Missed our first two wins last year due to being underdone, came in, played in approx. 10 straight losses, got injured, and missed the R23 win too.

Then this year he finally played in a win, got injured, and missed the next two wins. Playing in one win in seven would be a diabolical record for a guy so firmly entrenched in our best 22
Yep, this is so true for me too. Love watching him go about it. I was glad when he finally played in a win this year but yeah, that’s a shit return for a guy who plays like his life depends on it every week. A miracle win this week would be nice!

Yep, agree. He’ll be raring to go
Hopefully. He was a off and fumbled a bit after the last one vs Sydney. Medicos need to keep a close eye on him. He's too important long term.

Is midfield George’s best position? I’m starting to think not, for a few reasons.

His stoppage craft is a bit crap. As roos_fanatic08 posted in the game day thread, he’s just bull at gate every time, which so often leaves an outlet for the opposition.

He just doesn’t get enough of the ball, especially clean ball in space or in possession chains. Pretty much every possession comes from a fight to the death.

Third, I think a few people saw George’s combine results that Souup posted this week. That vertical is off the charts, can more be made of it elsewhere, i.e the forward line?

Is Wardlaw potentially the unicorn small forward we so desperately need?

PS. Sorry to tag you guys, I’m not trying to drag you into my (potentially silly) argument. It’s just that you guys crystallized something that has been nagging at me. Feel free to disagree 100%. I know we all respect your opinions about these young guys more than anyone.

He isnt right, not a shadow of the bloke that took it to luke parker last year.

Give him the rest of the year off to get right for next year.

Last edited:
Is midfield George’s best position? I’m starting to think not, for a few reasons.

His stoppage craft is a bit crap. As roos_fanatic08 posted in the game day thread, he’s just bull at gate every time, which so often leaves an outlet for the opposition.

He just doesn’t get enough of the ball, especially clean ball in space or in possession chains. Pretty much every possession comes from a fight to the death.

Third, I think a few people saw George’s combine results that Souup posted this week. That vertical is off the charts, can more be made of it elsewhere, i.e the forward line?

PS. Sorry to tag you guys, I’m not trying to drag you into my (potentially silly) argument. It’s just that you guys crystallized something that has been nagging at me. Feel free to disagree 100%. I know we all respect your opinions about these young guys more than anyone.
Midfield is his best position.

He ain't your 30 disposal midfielder. Wrong guy.

He's a moments - impact guy.

He epitomises everything the team needs to be.

Midfield is definitely his best position. Can’t have a burst player like him stuck in a forward pocket. He just needs to:

1. improve his stoppage craft so that he knows when to attack and when to hold off.

&

2. Improve his tank so he can maintain his manic defensive pressure all game.

In saying all that, he doesn’t look right to me. Something is a little bit off in his game. Not sure if it’s the concussions or general fatigue but he is off the standard he set late last year and earlier this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back