Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield is definitely his best position. Can’t have a burst player like him stuck in a forward pocket. He just needs to:

1. improve his stoppage craft so that he knows when to attack and when to hold off.

&

2. Improve his tank so he can maintain his manic defensive pressure all game.

In saying all that, he doesn’t look right to me. Something is a little bit off in his game. Not sure if it’s the concussions or general fatigue but he is off the standard he set late last year and earlier this year.

He would benefit more than anyone by having a Viney type out there directing traffic at stoppages.

He isnt right, not a shadow of the bloke that took it to like parker last year.

Give him the rest of tbe year off to get right for next year.

He’ll grind through next week.

It’s a hiding to nothing but he’ll be out there.

Not fit enough.

Considering the hamstring issues and the managing of his body in the early going he does get a bit of a pass in this respect I feel.

Will be interesting to watch how well he is able to progress in this aspect over the next couple of seasons.

Considering the hamstring issues and the managing of his body in the early going he does get a bit of a pass in this respect I feel.

Will be interesting to watch how well he is able to progress in this aspect over the next couple of seasons.
Is noted as an incredible power athlete so how they balance the work he needs on his endurance while maintaining his edge will be interesting.

Is noted as an incredible power athlete so how they balance the work he needs on his endurance while maintaining his edge will be interesting.
Absolutely - with the lilting lyrical Irishman in charge of S&C I think we've got reason to be confident. Wardlaw getting through the year without a soft tissue injury augurs well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely - with the lilting lyrical Irishman in charge of S&C I think we've got reason to be confident. Wardlaw getting through the year without a soft tissue injury augurs well

Yes, good point!

5 things I love about George.

1. Very good overhead mark.
  2. Has kicked some nice on the run goals.
  3. Best chaser in the team to mow down an opponent.
  4. 2nd best tackler after Big X
  5. Bleeds blue and white and leaves nothing in his (small for now) tank.
Great list, love the above things about George too. A few other things that have caught my eye:
  • His 2nd and 3rd efforts. Not many go back time and time again like he does.
  • He and Harry seem to have a very good understanding of where the other is already.
  • Recovers quickly when he hits the ground - amazing core strength, bounces back up and off he goes again.
  • Clean hands in close.
  • Those bullet passes. Yep his kicking is not always reliable and I know there’s been a lot of talk about it but it should become more reliable as his fitness improves imo. Plus I’m only here for the positives in this post and when he hits one it’s a thing of beauty!
  • Won’t die wondering.

Just love him, has made the past 2 years somewhat bearable. He’s going to be unstoppable once he builds his tank. Ps. Please don’t break his spirit North.

Say we drafted Smillie. And he approximated the big bodied mid his drafting club would hope for.

How does George work alongside that? Can you fit both styles in there?

Note: I am NOT saying we have too much midfield depth!
Can he fish off the blockage Smillie and Xerri could create?

Last edited:
Say we drafted Smillie. And he approximated the big bodied mid his drafting club would hope for.

Bash Brothers KC, Bash Brothers.

Sheeze can play as extractor or first receiver. I think he plays his best when he is releasing explosive players out of the middle.

Is Smillie this? especially considering both O’Sullivan and Draper are Possibly more explosive out of the contest.

Just my impression of course, but Smillie isn’t a contested ball beast; the knock on him is that his physique doesn’t equate to physical presence
Maybe he compliments Wardlaw nicely then. A mobile guy who can get around the ground get on the end of some in and under work and take some marks one on one for transition could be a good addition to our team.

Sheeze can play as extractor or first receiver. I think he plays his best when he is releasing explosive players out of the middle.

Is Smillie this? especially considering both O’Sullivan and Draper are Possibly more explosive out of the contest.
If we're getting a mid type, I'd hope it is something with pace and endurance who can play additional roles.

Really would like to see us get Trainor though, and if possible trade down to get an experienced player or genuine small forward with Trainor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back