Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Suns v Tigers Sat March 9th 4:20pm AEDT (Heritage)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

100%, even when Gold Coast were in their infant years and couldn't win anything, you knocked us off a couple times I think.

Absolutely been a trouble for us, which is why this one GC would be deserving favourites.

We have a better chance against the Blues at the MCG than this one.
Wouldn't have thought so. The boys love playing up there and have extra motivation V Dimma. We did finish above GC last year, yeah?

what's the record in Queensland like? we seem to prefer to play there than Etihad. Have we even played at the G? Maybe once :$
QUEENSLAND
Carrara Stadium: Richmond 3-2 Gold Coast
Cazalys Stadium: Gold Coast 2-1 Richmond
Gabba: Richmond 1-0 Gold Coast
TOTAL: Richmond 5-4 Gold Coast

VICTORIA
MCG: Richmond 2-0 Gold Coast
Docklands: Gold Coast 2-0
TOTAL: 2-2

Those three games at Cazalys in Cairns were technically Richmond home games, which explains why there's been 9 games in Queensland vs 4 games in Victoria. Should be pointed out that these two teams haven't played each other at the MCG since 2016 and we know that's going to change this year when they face one another at the 'G in round 24. That means the Suns have the opportunity to move ahead on the all-time ledger by the end of this season and that just furthers the point about Richmond's struggles against the Suns. If you're a neutral, it would be hard to believe that the Suns could have an all-time winning record against Richmond later this year, but it's the truth.

100%, even when Gold Coast were in their infant years and couldn't win anything, you knocked us off a couple times I think.

Absolutely been a trouble for us, which is why this one GC would be deserving favourites.
Yeah and you add in the fact that Dimma's knows your list/club inside out and would know every little deficiency. It will be Yze's first time in the hot seat so that doesn't help either.

QUEENSLAND
Carrara Stadium: Richmond 3-2 Gold Coast
Cazalys Stadium: Gold Coast 2-1 Richmond
Gabba: Richmond 1-0 Gold Coast
TOTAL: Richmond 5-4 Gold Coast

VICTORIA
MCG: Richmond 2-0 Gold Coast
Docklands: Gold Coast 2-0
TOTAL: 2-2

Those three games at Cazalys in Cairns were technically Richmond home games, which explains why there's been 9 games in Queensland vs 4 games in Victoria. Should be pointed out that these two teams haven't played each other at the MCG since 2016 and we know that's going to change this year when they face one another at the 'G in round 24. That means the Suns have the opportunity to move ahead on the all-time ledger by the end of this season and that just furthers the point about Richmond's struggles against the Suns. If you're a neutral, it would be hard to believe that the Suns could have an all-time winning record against Richmond later this year, but it's the truth.

Yeah and you add in the fact that Dimma's knows your list/club inside out and would know every little deficiency. It will be Yze's first time in the hot seat so that doesn't help either.
I wasn't doubting you, it was a genuine question. I said earlier in this thread that GC tend to bring out the worst in us for some strange reason. No doubt Hardwick sooking up about having to play at Etihad rubbed off on the group too.

It is absolutely bulldust that in 13 years we've played you guys twice at the MCG though. Selling home games in Carins were the dark days, shocking decision by the club.

It is absolutely bulldust that in 13 years we've played you guys twice at the MCG though. Selling home games in Carins were the dark days, shocking decision by the club.
7 Richmond home games vs 6 Gold Coast home games to date. It was Richmond's decision to sell their home games to Cairns. Had that not happened then I'd say it's fairly likely those 3 games would have been played at the G (they weren't sending MCG tenants to play home games at Marvel at the time) and we would currently be sitting at 5 games played at the MCG vs 5 games played at Carrara. It will be rectified this year when both of our clubs will get to host at their true home ground.

I think this one is a fairly straight forward tip for the Suns.

Dimma will know all of our players strengths and weaknesses and even with tweaks to our gameplan, it'll likely have parts Dimma knows how to play against.

Add to that the Suns are a young talent factory and are expected to improve under a very experienced coach, while we play under a first timer.

They tend to be a thorn in our side since their inception, so I reckon they'll get up here at home.

At the MCG would've been a much harder tip.
Nah I don't think it's straightforward at all for a couple of reasons:

1. We both have new coaches this year. Strange things can happen in situations like this
2. Gold Coast assembled a promising side with a strong coach, but knowing Hardwick's preseason flow at Richmond, his side's best work usually happens after about Round 5. I've only ever seen us start exceptionally well 3 times in his tenure (2013, 2017, and 2018). In contrast, we only ever performed poorly in the second half of the season in 2016 and 2021 (not including 2010 and 2011 because our list was terrible at the time). IMO, he's an average starter and an exceptional finisher.

Even if Gold Coast ends up a much better side than us by the end of the year, we still have a pretty good chance of defeating them in the Opening Round for this reason. Doesn't mean we will since Dimma's a brilliant coach, but I wouldn't put it past us.

Last edited:
7 Richmond home games vs 6 Gold Coast home games to date. It was Richmond's decision to sell their home games to Cairns. Had that not happened then I'd say it's fairly likely those 3 games would have been played at the G (they weren't sending MCG tenants to play home games at Marvel at the time) and we would currently be sitting at 5 games played at the MCG vs 5 games played at Carrara. It will be rectified this year when both of our clubs will get to host at their true home ground.

MCG tenants have been forced to play home games at docklands since it was built. The awful deal there was one of the reasons some of these teams sold games.

Seeing his “new toys” getting spanked from the old ones would be funny. Dimma has never faced a Dusty demolition job, wonder how he would handle it.
These are all the little mini advantages that I think people don't give enough weight to when a coach of 14 years comes up against those same players 9 months later. Dimma would know exactly the type of matchup/player that Dusty doesn't like playing against, and the tactics he will use to try and get away from that player. At the very least he's going to have a huge match up advantage of intimate knowledge of what works and doesn't work against our players, and individual strengths and weaknesses to exploit.

Well summed up and I think most logical footy supporters would agree with everything you've written.

Just to ram home the point about the Suns being the thorn in Richmond's side, a Gold Coast win in this game would mean an even 7-7 all-time ledger between the two sides and that's during a long period of absolute dominance from the Tigers including three flags and eight finals appearances vs many seasons of very below par performances from the Suns with zero finals appearances. The Suns have undeniably been a problem for Richmond since their inception.
We have put a crafty strategy in place to fix this squarely in our favour... sending Dimma over to your side. Now you have to try and win with him in this clash.😉

I expect both sides will struggle to implement new plans.

As a Suns fan I do think Suns have more quality and insane hot and humid conditions early afternoon will favour them. But who knows which team will show up in Opening round. It can go either way.

I think the Suns will win this
Today's pre-season game against the Giants should give us a better understanding of what to expect. The team the Suns will roll out today is closer to their best 22 and theoretically there should be some improvements shown from the Lions game last week. Richmond didn't look great the other night but they were also playing the reigning premiers so that might not be a fair representation of where they currently sit.

Ultimately, I think the Suns will rightfully be favourites going into this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today's pre-season game against the Giants should give us a better understanding of what to expect. The team the Suns will roll out today is closer to their best 22 and theoretically there should be some improvements shown from the Lions game last week. Richmond didn't look great the other night but they were also playing the reigning premiers so that might not be a fair representation of where they currently sit.

Ultimately, I think the Suns will rightfully be favourites going into this game.
We were initially smashing Collingwood but didn’t convert. As I was saying teams will not know our new a gamestyle atm so we can have the jump on them. Pies adapted quickly which is expected from the reigning premiers, Dees did not and they will probably make finals. I don’t think GC will adapt to it, Dimma is preparing them against our old gameplan.

On the flip side we know what Dimma will try and implement at the Suns. It’s an obsolete gamestyle which we know very well.

You guys are playing a really weak team today …. Not sure what it will tell us, but hoping for no bloody injuries, eh?

We were initially smashing Collingwood but didn’t convert. As I was saying teams will not know our new a gamestyle atm so we can have the jump on them. Pies adapted quickly which is expected from the reigning premiers, Dees did not and they will probably make finals. I don’t think GC will adapt to it, Dimma is preparing them against our old gameplan.

On the flip side we know what Dimma will try and implement at the Suns. It’s an obsolete gamestyle which we know very well.
Just pre-season games. They mean nothing.

You do seem a bit biased, haha. Why would Dimma be preparing Suns against your old gameplan (his plan) when you got a new coach implementing a new game plan? It makes no sense. No doubt teams watch and assess pre-season games to see styles/plans hints and go from there.

If anything, Dimma knows Tigers players inside out. He knows players strengths, weak points.

On the other hand, Dimma should be smart and experienced enough (he is 3x premiership coach with Tigers :)) to adjust his new plan to Suns list and add new aspects. The game is constantly evolving and so are game plans.

IMO, it will be high intensity but very scrappy game due to conditions and new plans both teams will be trying to implement.

Last edited:

Was just a praccy game .. but how are you feeling after that?

I think it's 50/50 game maybe slight edge to the Suns given it's at their home ground, If this was at the MCG we'd be heavy favs imo
but we never play the Suns there for some reason... it's always Marvel or Suns home game.

Prior to their pre season showing I thought this looked a fairly comfortable Suns win. Ignoring pre season form is (usually) pretty reliable so I’ll stick with them, but I do concede they looked pretty ordinary last night.

Just pre-season games. They mean nothing.

You do seem a bit biased, haha. Why would Dimma be preparing Suns against your old gameplan (his plan) when you got a new coach implementing a new game plan? It makes no sense. No doubt teams watch and assess pre-season games to see styles/plans hints and go from there.

If anything, Dimma knows Tigers players inside out. He knows players strengths, weak points.

On the other hand, Dimma should be smart and experienced enough (he is 3x premiership coach with Tigers :)) to adjust his new plan to Suns list and add new aspects. The game is constantly evolving and so are game plans.

IMO, it will be high intensity but very scrappy game due to conditions and new plans both teams will be trying to implement.
Current forecast is 26 degrees, 80% rain 5-10ml.

Neither side is going to be able to play their gameplan in those conditions, it's going to be a horrible spectacle and just about who takes their limited chances better and can find more of those scrappy wet weather wins on the day.

Current forecast is 26 degrees, 80% rain 5-10ml.

Neither side is going to be able to play their gameplan in those conditions, it's going to be a horrible spectacle and just about who takes their limited chances better and can find more of those scrappy wet weather wins on the day.
8 days to go. Still too early for reliable forecast but for sure it will be hot and humid. Nerang is the station to check.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Suns v Tigers Sat March 9th 4:20pm AEDT (Heritage)

Back