Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Suns v Tigers Sat March 9th 4:20pm AEDT (Heritage)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It does seem odd that Carlton and Richmond are playing in round-0 thereby guaranteeing them an entirely avoidable short break (with travel/heat).

Seems the AFL was desperate to both get big Vic clubs involved and to play on the Dimma factor.
It's both a priviliege and a detriment to be a big club. You will be used for marquee slots (both locally and interstate) and that occasionally causes problems like short breaks between games. We saw that recently with Collingwood on ANZAC Day. It's not completely fair but I think you cop it because it means you get to play in massive games throughout the year.

Think it's fair to say the Suns deserve favouritism for this game now that we know Dusty isn't going to play. I'm going with an 18 point win for Dimma and his new toys.

I don’t know what to expect after seeing the named Richmond side, and not in a good way. Having one of Lynch and Dusty play was important for us IMO.

Oh well. I think we can win since it is two new coaches going against each other, but I’m not confident anymore.

I don’t know what to expect after seeing the named Richmond side, and not in a good way. Having one of Lynch and Dusty play was important for us IMO.

Oh well. I think we can win since it is two new coaches going against each other, but I’m not confident anymore.
In AFL, always expect the unexpected.

It does seem odd that Carlton and Richmond are playing in round-0 thereby guaranteeing them an entirely avoidable short break (with travel/heat).

Seems the AFL was desperate to both get big Vic clubs involved and to play on the Dimma factor.

i mean, its obvious isnt it

literally all 4 games have a narrative

Sydney/Melbourne has the grundy narrative
Gold coast/Richmond has the dimma narrative
and the other 2 are prelim rematches

who else would gold coast have played at home and have a similar narrative for the afl to hype up?

It's both a priviliege and a detriment to be a big club. You will be used for marquee slots (both locally and interstate) and that occasionally causes problems like short breaks between games. We saw that recently with Collingwood on ANZAC Day. It's not completely fair but I think you cop it because it means you get to play in massive games throughout the year.

Think it's fair to say the Suns deserve favouritism for this game now that we know Dusty isn't going to play. I'm going with an 18 point win for Dimma and his new toys.

Oh, I understand the reasoning, but it's just blatant/nasty that when you have 10 teams sitting around doing nothing, teams are selected even though it will give them a short break.

* knows? New game plan V new game plan. I can see some of the Richmond boys coming out with a bit of fire in the belly to try stick it up Dimma. Historically we save some of our worst performances for GC though.

Would be funny if it was Etihad. Wonder if Dimma still hates playing there? :think:
do they play the Tiggers again this year? has to be at Marvel can't have minnow interstate teams playing to a 1/4 full MCG. Probably off to the cattery as well

do they play the Tiggers again this year? has to be at Marvel can't have minnow interstate teams playing to a 1/4 full MCG. Probably off to the cattery as well
Looking forward to seeing Cats melt in Darwin, round 10, haha.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this game which provides lots of interest for neutrals.

The Tigers are not as poor as folk suggest but I think GoCo will prevail on a day when there are positive signs for both Clubs.

It will be great to see Sam Naismith play another game at AFL level after all his ACL’s.

This is probably the most intriguing game of the “opening round”. Melbourne, Sydney, Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood & GWS - we know what all those clubs are.

GC were shocking in the preseason, it’s not unreasonable to think Richmond will be bottom 6. Going to learn a lot about both teams from this one. Should be interesting

Still not sold on the Suns.
Tom Berry. Ellis.

This will be close.
Interestingly, the Suns have a good record against Richmond and will secure an even 50/50 all time win-loss record against the Tigers should they come out victorious in front of a sell out home crowd today. Despite Richmond's recent league dominance, that record goes to show that the Suns often show up in games against Richmond for whatever reason. This would also be the Suns' fourth consecutive win over Richmond if they seal it.

Hell, the Suns have beaten Richmond twice after the siren! There's AFL teams that have been playing each other for over 100 years and that wouldn't be able to claim a historical matchup that includes two after the siren wins/losses. It's an intriguing matchup for many reasons and hopefully it lives up to the hype. Let's go!

A lot of people on here saying this is a hard one to pick and it should be close.

I’m going to stick my neck out and go the other way. Reckon the Suns win this and win it well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Suns v Tigers Sat March 9th 4:20pm AEDT (Heritage)

Back