Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Swans v Cats Sun June 9th 3:20pm AEST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably looking a a repeat of this effort to mark its approximate 10-year anniversary.

That was the most surprising match involving the Swans I have ever seen. I was hopeful for a win but I just was not expecting that performance.

They shat the bed on Grand Final day but the 2014 Swans team was very formidable, in fact they were better than our 2012 side that won the flag.

Yeah, but they're making a statement against a midfield stocked almost exclusively with players who didn't play in that grand final.

So, um, congratulations?

Edit: to add to this, the only player we had attend a centre bounce last week that also attended a centre bounce in the 22 GF was Tom Atkins.

Both sides still have about 75% of the players who were there that day so I would hope at least from our side there would still be a bit of feeling there. Obviously winning a home and away game doesn't square the ledger or even come close, but it would be good to see that it still burns a bit given what's at stake for our group this year.

Both sides still have about 75% of the players who were there that day so I would hope at least from our side there would still be a bit of feeling there. Obviously winning a home and away game doesn't square the ledger or even come close, but it would be good to see that it still burns a bit given what's at stake for our group this year.
Yeah but ours are either forwards who will starve or defenders who will get crucified. The weapons we need we don't have, and the weapons we have we can't use.

That's pretty pessimistic
Sydney are good enough to do to us what Richmond, GWS, Port managed for 2 quarters, but for a whole game. And it's at the SCG. That would mean near enough a 100 point loss.

If the Cats keep it to less than 8 goals I'll actually be more confident of us finishing top 4 than I am currently.

It's got drubbing written all over it.

Not necessarily.

Our midfield right now is similar to where you guys where at a few years back with a developing Rowbottom, Warner, & eventually Gulden...but we don't even have our JPK & Parker at the time (Dangerfield & Guthrie) playing.

The pieces are there for us with Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, & Clark, and they'll look good in patches...but as a contingent they're not up to matching the stars of the competition as of yet.

Sydney's midfield would be the best going around at the moment, and on smaller grounds like the SCG in particular, that's generally where the game is won and lost.

I like the over all direction of the club, we're doing well with what we have. But when you are missing the entire starting midfield and playing 22 year olds there then you're going to see things come apart on other areas.

Bad backlines can be protected with good defensive work midfield and forward. Bad forwards can be made to look better with defenders who rebound quick and mids who win the contest convincingly.

There's no hiding a bad midfield though. Without one that's at least competitive you're cooked.

I'm just enjoying seeing the kids have a crack tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the over all direction of the club, we're doing well with what we have. But when you are missing the entire starting midfield and playing 22 year olds there then you're going to see things come apart on other areas.

Bad backlines can be protected with good defensive work midfield and forward. Bad forwards can be made to look better with defenders who rebound quick and mids who win the contest convincingly.

There's no hiding a bad midfield though. Without one that's at least competitive you're cooked.

I'm just enjoying seeing the kids have a crack tbh.
Who do you think you guys will be missing this week from the mids aside from Danger & Guthrie?

Who do you think you guys will be missing this week from the mids aside from Danger & Guthrie?
Actually blitz will be back so that's something. Stanley is cooked and it's too early to rely on Conway so I would say we don't really have a starting ruck to be missing anymore.

So our best cba would be the ghost of Stanley past tapping to Danger, Guthrie, and Blitz. Of which we'll have one.

It'll probably only be those 2 but it's already our weakness and your strength.

The other big issue is the ruck. Stanley is barely holding on but is probably still our best ruck. Conway is going to be a good player but can't yet compete physically.

If our ruck can somehow do ok against Grundy then Holmes, Bruhn, Blicavs and Atkins can compete and at least give us a chance to outplay you in the rest of the ground. But if Grundy gives your midfield silver service it could get pretty ugly.

Not necessarily.

Our midfield right now is similar to where you guys where at a few years back with a developing Rowbottom, Warner, & eventually Gulden...but we don't even have our JPK & Parker at the time (Dangerfield & Guthrie) playing.

The pieces are there for us with Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, & Clark, and they'll look good in patches...but as a contingent they're not up to matching the stars of the competition as of yet.

Sydney's midfield would be the best going around at the moment, and on smaller grounds like the SCG in particular, that's generally where the game is won and lost.
You do know that the SCG at 16,556m2 is larger than Kardinia Park 15,355m2 don't you? It's strange that other tiny ovals like Docklands (16,211m2) and Adelaide Oval (16,133m2) are never referred to as "smaller grounds".

You do know that the SCG at 16,556m2 is larger than Kardinia Park 15,355m2 don't you? It's strange that other tiny ovals like Docklands (16,211m2) and Adelaide Oval (16,133m2) are never referred to as "smaller grounds".
We bring it in ourselves by persisting with that terrible low camera angle at the SCG. It makes it look like a suburban ground with no space.

I think clearances matter more because it's shorter so you get closer to goal after each clearance then in other grounds. I think people see the SCG is shorter and forget or don't realise that it is very wide.

We have shown an ability over the years to play above ourselves in matches like this, so I actually think we’ll be very competitive for a fair chunk of this match, but atm the class, form and availability says the Swans will win this. I’d say Swans by about 4 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Swans v Cats Sun June 9th 3:20pm AEST (SCG)

Back