Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 17 - North v Suns Sat July 6th 1:45pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• North by a goal or less

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cautiously optimistic. Under normal circumstances I'd be confident after the way we played against Collingwood, but a lot has been made of our inability to win on the road this year and there's no doubt we'll hear more about it in the lead up to this one. Hopefully we can put that narrative to bed on Saturday arvo and the footy public as a whole start to take us seriously as a potential finals team this year.

Suns by 22 points.
You think beating a side with one win this season, a percentage of 64 and a team who hasn’t won in Melbourne since round 1 2023 (against a depleted West Coast) will dispel the fact that your side is rubbish away from home?

for anyone other than perhaps the most simple of minds.
Did you just belittle the poster as a moderator? Surely, I misunderstood. If you could clarify it a little for me that would be great.

Is it ok to say that only "the most simple of minds" would ignore recent form of North?

Last edited:

Nobody is ignoring their form. They are playing better.

And yet despite this, they’re still 18th with 1 win from 15 games.

Why are you making these excuses already?
Not making excuses. People do have different opinions. Just was disappointed how you replied to GC2025 post. No need for that. Moving on.

Not making excuses. People do have different opinions.

Then why mention North are playing better?

That sounds like an excuse to me.

Just was disappointed how you replied to GC2025 post. No need for that. Moving on.

I’m sorry you felt I was singling him out.

Nobody is ignoring their form. They are playing better.

And yet despite this, they’re still 18th with 1 win from 15 games.

Why are you making these excuses already?

oh ffs let it go , the poster is 100% correct, we are a totally different side now.
Playing with some confidence and having some belief works wonders.

The Suns aren't there as yet, I expect us to beat them, just like I did against the Dees, and unfortunately lost $500.00 in the process. lol.

500x 4.75 ouch.

oh ffs let it go , the poster is 100% correct, we are a totally different side now.

You are a different side. I’ve not said anything to the contrary.

I’m not sure why you’re getting agitated, I have no issue with North at all and wish them all the best.

Regardless of your uptick in form, you’re still 18th with 1 win this season. The Suns are still favorite, as they should be.

Oh, you must’ve misunderstood.

Let me quote myself again:
Okay if we're going to get into this then I'll provide the full context of my original post you were quoting with the edit you chose to use in bold and then follow it with your response:
Cautiously optimistic. Under normal circumstances I'd be confident after the way we played against Collingwood, but a lot has been made of our inability to win on the road this year and there's no doubt we'll hear more about it in the lead up to this one. Hopefully we can put that narrative to bed on Saturday arvo and the footy public as a whole start to take us seriously as a potential finals team this year.
A win vs 18th placed North Melbourne won’t do that. You are strong favourites to win.

Do it vs GWS in a few weeks and you might turn a few heads.
So now let's get into your latest response to me.
No, the original discussion was not about finals, but rather about winning away from home.

Something you haven’t done once all season.

Appreciate you’re looking for baby steps, but a win against 18th placed North Melbourne won’t change the narrative in any meaningful way, for anyone other than perhaps the most simple of minds.

Everyone will recognize it was against 18th placed North Melbourne who have won 1 game.

As I said, do it in Western Sydney in a few weeks and you may turn a few heads.

Hopefully that clarifies things a little for you.
The original discussion (my first post that you quoted) very clearly referenced both the narrative of not being able to win away from home as well as the hope that our first away win would start the process of the footy public taking us seriously as a potential finals team this year. So you're just flat out denying a fact there.

Twisting words, purposely leaving out context and suggesting that someone is simple minded if they have an opinion that is contrary to yours is pretty concerning behaviour. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in this case I think it's warranted to suggest playing the ball, not the man.

Happy to continue the discussion if you want to focus on the footy instead of these other antics you've engaged in.

Back on topic. It'll be interesting to see how Moyle goes against Xerri today. That feels like an important match up considering how important Witts was in our win over Collingwood last week. Also, we may see a bit of a shootout between King and Larkey at either end of the ground. LDU is probably the one that I'm most concerned about though.

lana del rey falling GIF
Third tier today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay if we're going to get into this then I'll provide the full context of my original post you were quoting with the edit you chose to use in bold and then follow it with your response:

So now let's get into your latest response to me.

The original discussion (my first post that you quoted) very clearly referenced both the narrative of not being able to win away from home as well as the hope that our first away win would start the process of the footy public taking us seriously as a potential finals team this year. So you're just flat out denying a fact there.

Twisting words, purposely leaving out context and suggesting that someone is simple minded if they have an opinion that is contrary to yours is pretty concerning behaviour. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in this case I think it's warranted to suggest playing the ball, not the man.

Yikes. Why are you twisting yourself into a pretzel, trying to pretend what you said wasn’t actually what you said?

If I misquoted, misunderstood or “twisted words”, you would have moved to clarify at first opportunity.

You didn’t. I wonder why?

Probably because when you said this…

Under normal circumstances I'd be confident after the way we played against Collingwood, but a lot has been made of our inability to win on the road this year and there's no doubt we'll hear more about it in the lead up to this one. Hopefully we can put that narrative to bed on Saturday arvo…

That’s exactly what you meant.

And that’s fine. But the subsequent “efforts” to backtrack are a little silly.

Happy to continue the discussion if you want to focus on the footy instead of these other antics you've engaged in.

I’ve already given my thoughts on the footy.

Suns to win, despite an improved North Melbourne. And nobody to seriously suggest in the aftermath that the Suns are over their hoodoo.

Yikes. Why are you twisting yourself into a pretzel, trying to pretend what you said wasn’t actually what you said?

If I misquoted, misunderstood or “twisted words”, you would have moved to clarify at first opportunity.

You didn’t. I wonder why?

Probably because when you said this…

That’s exactly what you meant.

And that’s fine. But the subsequent “efforts” to backtrack are a little silly.
You edited my original post again to make it seem like I didn't mention the part about hopefully taken seriously as a potential finals team should we win today. Why? You literally keep removing context to suit your narrative and then double down by telling me what I meant in my post. Bizarre behaviour...

I’ve already given my thoughts on the footy.

Suns to win, despite an improved North Melbourne. And nobody to seriously suggest in the aftermath that the Suns are over their hoodoo.
Alright mate. Well, you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Let's leave it there :thumbsu:

You edited my original post again to make it seem like I didn't mention the part about hopefully taken seriously as a potential finals team should we win today. Why?

No, I omitted it because it’s an entirely separate point that isn’t part of the argument.

I’ve not argued you’re not a potential finals side.

This is really, really basic stuff. How are you missing it? Or are you simply doing anything possible to deflect from what was a frankly ridiculous point?

No, I omitted it because it’s an entirely separate point that isn’t part of the argument.

I’ve not argued you’re not a potential finals side.

This is really, really basic stuff. How are you missing it? Or are you simply doing anything possible to deflect from what was a frankly ridiculous point?
Yet it wasn't ommitted in your first post that quoted my original post (despite other ommisions containing context). If you were consistent with your quoting then there wouldn't be any confusion, but you keep changing what you choose to quote/reference.

Just so there's no confusion, this was my original point in full - we played well against Collingwood but the narrative of not being able to win away from home keeps popping up and could be playing on the minds of our players when we play away. Win today and that will potentially ease the mental load on our players when they play away because it can no longer be claimed that we can't win away and perhaps we can build from there to be taken seriously as a potential finals team this year.

Yet it wasn't ommitted in your first post that quoted my original post (despite other ommisions containing context). If you were consistent with your quoting then there wouldn't be any confusion, but you keep changing what you choose to quote/reference.

This is hilarious. The point that I pushed back on is abundantly clear.

The rest is just meaningless fluff, a frankly hilarious attempt to deflect from the obvious point.

Nobody is falling for it, but good on you if you manage to convince yourself.

Not dissimilar actually from most people recognizing a win today doesn’t do anything to dispel the queries over the Suns’ ability to win away from home.

Just so there's no confusion, this was my original point in full - we played well against Collingwood but the narrative of not being able to win away from home keeps popping up and could be playing on the minds of our players when we play away. Win today and that will potentially ease the mental load on our players when they play away because it can no longer be claimed that we can't win away and perhaps we can build from there to be taken seriously as a potential finals team this year.

And to be clear, see above.

A win against 18th placed North today is the bare minimum expectation. Do it, and questions will still remain about winning away.

Because you’ve lost every other time.

If you lose every remaining game away, I look forward to you pinning your hat on that one victory as though it proves any sort of point.

It is literally the minimum expected of your side.

This discussion had nothing - and still has nothing - to do with you being a finals side. But you knew that already.

Hope that’s clear enough for you.

This is hilarious. The point that I pushed back on is abundantly clear.

The rest is just meaningless fluff, a frankly hilarious attempt to deflect from the obvious point.

Nobody is falling for it, but good on you if you manage to convince yourself.

Not dissimilar actually from most people recognizing a win today doesn’t do anything to dispel the queries over the Suns’ ability to win away from home.
Alright mate. I can see you're not going to take any accountability for contributing to the confusion and you're just going to stick to your guns so I'll try to resolve this. If I missed the "obvious point" by thinking we're talking our inability to win away from home AND being taken seriously as a finals because you quoted a sentence that said exactly that and your response wasn't specific as to what a win over North will/won't do for us, then I suppose I'm guilty of missing the point.

And to be clear, see above.

A win against 18th placed North today is the bare minimum expectation. Do it, and questions will still remain about winning away.

Because you’ve lost every other time.

If you lose every remaining game away, I look forward to you pinning your hat on that one victory as though it proves any sort of point.

It is literally the minimum expected of your side.

This discussion had nothing - and still has nothing - to do with you being a finals side. But you knew that already.

Hope that’s clear enough for you.
So there's two different points here. One is the narrative that we CAN'T win away from home and the other is that we struggle playing on the road. Both are true at the moment but if we win today then the narrative of not being able to win away dies because it's simply not true anymore. Will there still be question marks considering we'd be 1-7 away from home this season? Of course, but that's less of a mental load for the players to carry than the narrative that we CAN'T win away from home IMO.

Back