Preview AFL Rd 3 - Collingwood v Hawthorn - MCG - Sun 14/4 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Hudson, D Thomas
Out: Jolly, Seedsman

No need to mess with things too much. Witts will play soon but not against a top 4 opponent. Not convinced he can ruck all day yet, and if we bring him in yet he will need to.
Seeds was basically anonymous despite playing most of the game.

Dont understand the constant sinclair out each week.

Unless Krakouer is 100% fit and in decent for in the vfl , im sorry but sinclair is there to stay.

In : Hudson, Daisy
Out : Jolly , Seedsman

Seems like when we played the hawks last year gunston even got under our radar. Would it be worth a crack to bring in Frost for him? As hawks can play reasonably tall, frankling,roughie and hale. I know Gunston didnt play today. But im seriously not rating maxwell to take gunston or harry.

For mine, Hudson and D Thomas for Jolly and Seedsman. Does anybody know the extent of Jolly's injury? I haven't heard anything.

Also Ben Johnson was nowhere near as bad as some are saying, kicking was average but it always has been, always will be

We need to make sure we're not reamed in the middle next week, with a forward line of Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Breust and Gunston we will get slaughtered - like round 17 and the QF last year.

The question is could Reid play on Breust? If so happy to bring in Frost for Russell to play on Roughead or Franklin. Russell was awful but we lack a lot of options for small defenders, particularly because we are playing Harry and Heater further up field.

The question is could Reid play on Breust? If so happy to bring in Frost for Russell to play on Roughead or Franklin. Russell was awful but we lack a lot of options for small defenders, particularly because we are playing Harry and Heater further up field.

I think Reid would have the pace to stick with Breust, he doesn't get his opportunities from amazing speed or athleticism he is a smart little fella who is very strong over the ball and tough to tackle one on one (might be his Rugby League background)

For us I doubt Gunston will be called up in less we use him in place of another tall who struggles to recover from the heat / taxing game in Perth. Otherwise we have too many talls with Bailey, Hale & Rough to Ruck / Forward along with Franklin, Schoey, Gibson leaves us a bit short of run.

Good news for you guys is Lewis who caused you all sorts of issues last year really struggled in our first 2 games. Lake played for Box Hill yesterday so I guess he would be some sort of chance of coming in otherwise Schoey and Cloke to resume their battle.

Frost in for Russell to take Gunston

D.Thomas in for Johnson (seedsmen then takes his rebounding role if needed)

Hudson in for jolly (inj)

Fasolo in for Macaffer

Martin and Mooney banging the door for selection down, with ball beams didak krakour and young in the wings.

BOY OH BOY WOWEEE our list is in good shape this year

Surprised no mention of Frost coming in

In: Frost, Hudson, Fasolo/Thomas
Out: Johnson, Jolly, Macaffer

Don't want to rush Fas or Thomas, and no idea how they're going in terms of their match fitness. If both are fine, get Seedsman off.

Johnson and Jolly out for Frost and Hudson is quite obvious. I thought Sinclair, Seedsman and Macaffer all deserved to be dropped though but not sure who's fit enough to come back in. Our side clearly lacks on pace so Macaffer is the one to go for Fas, and if Thomas was match fit, I'd probably pick Seedsman to be omitted.

The way I see it is that with Bailey back in the ruck the Hawks will play 3 talls pretty much permanently in the forward line (Franklin, Roughead, Hale and/or Gunston) and did so for pretty much the entire game against Geelong (not sure about today although Gunston didn't play)

In terms of match ups we look 1 tall light for that set up so bringing Frost in is a must for me. I'd be looking at something like:

Reid - Franklin
Brown - Roughead
Frost - Hale/ Gunston
Maxwell - Hale/Gunston (If they go 4 tall at any stage which is unlikely)
Tooves - Breust
Shaw - Rioli
Russell or Johson - Puopolo

Seedsman is a no brainer! cant take a hit, messed up his kicks, cant get a contested possession! HES gone! i hope they bring in josh thomas for inside grunt because we need clearances badly, carlton got a lot of goals from centre clearances and it was putting our defense under to much pressure. HAWKS will tear us apart if we get flogged in the middle like that again.

OUT: D.Jolly(inj), B.Johnson/B.Sinclair/B.Macaffer(omit), P.Seedsman(omit)
IN: B.Hudson, D.Thomas, A.Fasolo

B: A.Toovey, N.Brown, N.Maxwell
HB: H.Shaw, B.Reid, J.Russell
C: D.Thomas, S.Pendlebury, H.O'brien
HF: S.Sidebottom, T.Cloke, S.Dwyer
F: J.Elliott, Q.Lynch, T.Goldsack
R: B.Hudson, D.Swan, J.Blair
I: M.Clarke, B.Macaffer, B.Sinclair/B.Johnson
Sub: A.Fasolo

We really need Daisy back against the hawks. We had brent macaffer running through the midfield today which was a bit alarming for mine. I'd bring back Fasolo personally. He looked pretty good, and i think he was be great choice for the sub. I think benny sinclair must go, has admirable qualities but he panics with the footy.
Krak and Didak need to prove they deserve a place in the 22, therefore another few weeks in the magoos imo.

Yep Fasolo for the sub, he'd struggle to play a full game but he is a very good player and has shown he can have a big impact in limited time as a sub prior

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seedsman is a no brainer! cant take a hit, messed up his kicks, cant get a contested possession! HES gone! i hope they bring in josh thomas for inside grunt because we need clearances badly, carlton got a lot of goals from centre clearances and it was putting our defense under to much pressure. HAWKS will tear us apart if we get flogged in the middle like that again.

If Thomas comes in, we are pretty close to full tilt in the middle. Young is the only bow missing as a Wellingham replacement, but then again we've bought in Dwyer (Thomas) and have Harry on the wing.

Seedsman had a stinker, which probably saves Johnson.

Toovey to Rioli
Russell to Breust
Reid to Franklin
Brown to Roughead/Hale
Goldsack to Gunston
Shaw to Puopolo
Maxwell

With Thomas in, Shaw can return to defence.

Yep Fasolo for the sub, he'd struggle to play a full game but he is a very good player and has shown he can have a big impact in limited time as a sub prior
Rather he get full fitness back if as you say "he'd struggle to play a full game".

Next week is a big hurdle. If we play like we did for the first three quarters today we'll be smashed. Whilst Jonno has been a favourite for years he was disappointing today and I just wanted smack Sinclair at times. Bringing in Witts would be a big challenge but with support from Lynch some time swimming in the deep end might be revealing. Thomas is a cert to come back and I thought Fasolo looked ok in 2s on Saturday.

Out: Jolly, Seedsman, Sinclair
In: Witts, D Thomas, Fasolo

The way I see it is that with Bailey back in the ruck the Hawks will play 3 talls pretty much permanently in the forward line (Franklin, Roughead, Hale and/or Gunston) and did so for pretty much the entire game against Geelong (not sure about today although Gunston didn't play)

In terms of match ups we look 1 tall light for that set up so bringing Frost in is a must for me. I'd be looking at something like:

Reid - Franklin
Brown - Roughead
Frost - Hale/ Gunston
Maxwell - Hale/Gunston (If they go 4 tall at any stage which is unlikely)
Tooves - Breust
Shaw - Rioli
Russell or Johson - Puopolo

I reakon you can count on Jordan Lewis playing a forward tagging role on Shaw!

If Thomas comes in, we are pretty close to full tilt in the middle. Young is the only bow missing as a Wellingham replacement, but then again we've bought in Dwyer (Thomas) and have Harry on the wing.

Seedsman had a stinker, which probably saves Johnson.

Toovey to Rioli
Russell to Breust
Reid to Franklin
Brown to Roughead/Hale
Goldsack to Gunston
Shaw to Puopolo
Maxwell

With Thomas in, Shaw can return to defence.

Beams and Ball?

I think Hudson is a great in. We need a guy who will get down and dirty and be physical at the stoppages against the Hawks, and to be honest I would take him over Jolly against a team like Hawthorn.

Seedsman was poor and with Daisy now 2 games fit you would think he comes in.

I think the last change depends on who takes Franklin. Frost does seem to have the speed and athleticism to play on Buddy and I would say it would be nice to have a couple of options if Reid started on Buddy and was getting beaten.
The other player Im surprised we haven't played on Buddy is Goldsack. If Buddy wants to take pack marks I'm happy to have Reid and Maxwell coming in third man up and destroying it, and then Goldsack has the agility to match Buddy when the ball hits the ground. Buddy kills us on the ground, not in the air.

Rioli-Toovey
Buddy-Goldsack
Breust-Russell
Roughead-Brown
Hale-Reid
Puopolo-Shaw
And then of course you have Maxy as the spare man back there. I can see the sense in dropping Ben Johnson for this game and bringing in another ball winning midfielder, as that is where we are thin at the moment. I'd love it to be Kyle Martin, but I don't think we have any more long term injuries...maybe Jolly??

Russell, Brown, Goldsack
Shaw, Reid, Toovey
O'Brien, Pendles, Sidebottom
Thomas, Lynch, Dwyer
Elliot, Cloke, MaCaffer (one game off being dropped)
Hudson, Swan, Blair

Maxwell (love him to run with Sam Mitchell all day), Clarke (loving his improvement), Sinclair, Johnson (sub)

Beams and Ball?

I think Hudson is a great in. We need a guy who will get down and dirty and be physical at the stoppages against the Hawks, and to be honest I would take him over Jolly against a team like Hawthorn.

Seedsman was poor and with Daisy now 2 games fit you would think he comes in.

I think the last change depends on who takes Franklin. Frost does seem to have the speed and athleticism to play on Buddy and I would say it would be nice to have a couple of options if Reid started on Buddy and was getting beaten.
The other player Im surprised we haven't played on Buddy is Goldsack. If Buddy wants to take pack marks I'm happy to have Reid and Maxwell coming in third man up and destroying it, and then Goldsack has the agility to match Buddy when the ball hits the ground. Buddy kills us on the ground, not in the air.

Rioli-Toovey
Buddy-Goldsack
Breust-Russell
Roughead-Brown
Hale-Reid
Puopolo-Shaw
And then of course you have Maxy as the spare man back there. I can see the sense in dropping Ben Johnson for this game and bringing in another ball winning midfielder, as that is where we are thin at the moment. I'd love it to be Kyle Martin, but I don't think we have any more long term injuries...maybe Jolly??

Russell, Brown, Goldsack
Shaw, Reid, Toovey
O'Brien, Pendles, Sidebottom
Thomas, Lynch, Dwyer
Elliot, Cloke, MaCaffer (one game off being dropped)
Hudson, Swan, Blair

Maxwell (love him to run with Sam Mitchell all day), Clarke (loving his improvement), Sinclair, Johnson (sub)

I did so close to full tilt in the midfield. Beams is the one who makes it complete. Bally an arguable upgrade.

Like one of these bold moves. Goldsack following Buddy up the ground and Reid staying back.

Don't know about Maxwell running on Mitchell though. That's a stinker.

I'd doubt Hawthorn would play more than 4 tall forwards in the one forward line at the same time...

Reid gets the job on Franklin, I think he's the most athletically adept at it. Brown get's roughy and Frost gets whichever 3rd tall is there at the time, Gunston or Hale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 3 - Collingwood v Hawthorn - MCG - Sun 14/4 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back