Preview AFL Round 22 v Lions - Prematch Selection & Discussion - DaVe 86 Preview Post 83 - Teams Post 93

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 22 v Lions: Prematch Selection & Discussion

I don't think anyone who has not already had a game will come in for the rest of the year.

I think I read somewhere that Malthouse wanted to get some games into a few of the younger blokes like Young, Thomas and Sinclair?

I could be wrong.

Can't believe some of the crap that's going on here..Sure you're a top side and we're at the bottom, but our ladder position doesn't indicate how bad we are. We don't get thrashed like Port or the Suns, atleast we do give it a fight. I say Magpies by 26 in a close game where you'll finish it off in the last quarter. :)

Can't believe some of the crap that's going on here..Sure you're a top side and we're at the bottom, but our ladder position doesn't indicate how bad we are. We don't get thrashed like Port or the Suns, atleast we do give it a fight. I say Magpies by 26 in a close game where you'll finish it off in the last quarter. :)
So you're basically saying the two teams will be even the whole way through the game until the last qtr? Even with teams we've had close games against we've generally beaten them by 50+ which is why we have a winning percentage above 180. You're the one who is talking crap! :thumbsu:

Edit: And ladder position might not say much but considering in the last 10 games the only wins you've had have been a close win over Port and then beaten a tired GC Suns. I'm not sure where this good recent form is coming from. Unless you're talking about a close loss to the Crows or being beaten by 5 goals by a weak Geelong at the Gabba a month ago...

So you're basically saying the two teams will be even the whole way through the game until the last qtr? Even with teams we've had close games against we've generally beaten them by 50+ which is why we have a winning percentage above 180. You're the one who is talking crap! :thumbsu:

Edit: And ladder position might not say much but considering in the last 10 games the only wins you've had have been a close win over Port and then beaten a tired GC Suns. I'm not sure where this good recent form is coming from. Unless you're talking about a close loss to the Crows or being beaten by 5 goals by a weak Geelong at the Gabba a month ago...

I have always said this match will be close, We have done well if you ask me with all the injuries we have had. we have Brown, Merret and Patful out which will help you a lot. We played exceptionally well against the cats and Im expecting the same against you?

I think I read somewhere that Malthouse wanted to get some games into a few of the younger blokes like Young, Thomas and Sinclair?

I could be wrong.
I saw the comments and thought he meant Sinclair, Rounds and Keefe, but I also could be wrong.:thumbsu:

If you get within 50 points you'll have done very very well.

I wouldn't set your bar up too high because it will just lead to massive dissapointment for you.

mate did you see the geelong game vs us? we can play good footy for 3 quarters and we fail in the last.

Yep and you got rogered by the Umps at the end of the 3rd quarter and early 4th quarter. Doesn't change my thinking.

This is the business end of the season with guys still playing for finals spots.

If you get within 5 goals of us, go sign baked bean head for another 3 years. Just keep him away from trade week.:eek:

You are going to be disappointed if you think you'll get within 5 goals. We are just starting to crank it up.

Im still expecting you to win. And dont forget against geelong We still Had Merret Rich and Drummond out from our best 22 and have a lot of youngsters in our team.

Stranger things have happened, although "our youngsters" have largely been a part of the sides which have disposed of the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast, Essendon, Cartoon and the Saints...all sides that see themselves as contenders. It's not like our youngsters have not been perfoming in the big games.

I don't think having "youngsters" is a valid argument if you are talking about matches against Collingwood as our side has as many if not more than most other sides, even those at the bottom of the ladder.
Even several of our Premiership players still fall into the "youngster" category.

I'm fairly certain Horan is a Collingwood supporter too

He is. But he shouldn't be.

I remember when I was there for a week in 2007, telling me how they got rid of the wrong Rocca, should have delisted Licuria and O'Bree and should get rid of Malthouse.

Most pessimistic supporter I have ever met in my life.

Im still expecting you to win. And dont forget against geelong We still Had Merret Rich and Drummond out from our best 22 and have a lot of youngsters in our team.

I know, you said yourself that you expect to fall away in the last quarter. TBH I wouldn't even be all that surprised if you legitimately pushed us for the entire match, as that head coach of your's see's winning against Collingwood as life or death.

However I'll put our perspective to you which may make it easier to understand.

It's fair to say that Collingwood are the most complete team since the Lions of early last decade. Now during that era if a supporter of an opposing team, with a record of 4-15, popped onto your board and stated that they'll be competitive with you for the first 3 quarters. Then used pushing another team 6 weeks ago as evidence, how would you react?

Just one more piece of evidence for why many would disagree with your statement of pushing us for the majority of the match.

Collingwood v Bottom 4 teams in 2011

4 wins and 0 losses with a percentage of 215.6
ave. for score 144.5 ave. ag score 67

Collingwood v Bottom 8 teams in 2011

9 wins and 0 losses with a percentage of 233.03
ave. for score 140.3 ave. ag score 60.2

Put simply we've gone to town on the also-ran team's this year. My best guess is that we'll probably win every quarter by about 2-3 goals which would mean an 8-10 goal win.

You have to remember that statistically this Collingwood team is the best in a century (not man for man) so expecting to get within 5 goals could be viewed a tad unrealistic. Best of luck for the match though :thumbsu:

If you get within 5 goals of us, go sign baked bean head for another 3 years. Just keep him away from trade week.:eek:

You are going to be disappointed if you think you'll get within 5 goals. We are just starting to crank it up.

There is going to be dissapointment.

For some reason I can REALLY see us making a statement.

I have always said this match will be close, We have done well if you ask me with all the injuries we have had. we have Brown, Merret and Patful out which will help you a lot. We played exceptionally well against the cats and Im expecting the same against you?
I don't mind you saying you're expecting a close game at all. I just find it strange when BrisbaneLion9636 comes on here saying he can't believe all the crap he's reading about how Pies fans don't think it will be close.

I mean you can look at it this way too; Brisbane backed up their close loss against the Cats (when they were coming off 2 losses going into that game) with essentially an 8 goal thrashing by North Melbourne of all teams. Their good performances lately have been mostly against poor teams at the Gabba.

Of course that doesn't mean they'll get thrashed but I don't see Brisbane having the form to worry Collingwood like the few Brisbane supporters who've come in here have said.

I'm still pissy about last year's loss to them. However two big factors in that loss were Fevola and Brown. I think we will shut down their forward line like goddamn Pelican Bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's hard to see how they'll kick goals against us. Their midfield has been in pretty good nick so I expect to see us concede a few inside 50's, but can't see them converting all that many.

Pies by 100+ easy.
IN: Dawes, Toovey
OUT: Maxwell, Rounds

Pies should smack brisbane by plenty in this one.

Only exception i see is if:
- Pies take brisbane too lightly trying to conserve energy/prevent injury - brisbane will no doubt come out firing as they would want to finish off season well so will play like they have nothing to lose.

- MM makes a whole host of changes - this could be dangerous with finals looming if he starts flirting with team form/chemistry.

- Also, not sure how taxing the st kilda game would have had on them? Shackles could be unleashed given it was such a defensive game last wk or they could be flat/buggered?

Scwartz was saying on SEN that there is some talk of Dawes having some calf problems and may not come up. Anyone heard anything about this?

Cannot see the Lions getting close if the Pies are switched on. That said, they may just run this game out safely to prevent anymore injuries for the squad come finals and keep it within 6-8 goals.

I can agree that Lions are good for their ladder position, but they're still third last on the table for a reason. It seems that their win over a tired and lackluster Gold Coast outfit at home has shot their confidence sky high. :D

Will be interesting to see what happens, regardless. Lions coming off their grand final last week. Maybe some sore and tired bodies? Who knows.

Surely toooooov will play.
Dawesome would hav to come back as well but maybe through VFL.

Scwartz was saying on SEN that there is some talk of Dawes having some calf problems and may not come up. Anyone heard anything about this?

Nope and I don't believe Schwatz anyway.

I only heard Dawes might come back through the VFL

The Lions have very little to play for (their big game was last week) and neither do we, but that said, we have become a very ruthless team and I see a shalacking coming here.

Our fringe players can ill afford to take it easy.

I expect at least a 10 goal lead at 3QT. Maybe we ease off the gas in the last....then again we might put the foot on the throat?

Lachie Keefe is playing.

I assume Dawes isn't back or Taz/Reid are resting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back