Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten is now a Shinboner.
As a player I didn't like him as he was the type I thought was pretty average but lifted against North whenever we played his mob. But really I didn't like him because he was a good player and was consistently good against us.

I think he got more out of Carlton and St Kilda as coach than many others would have and I am genuinely pleased he's at North.

No matter what happens in the next few years, I'd want Ratts to be there still.

As a player I didn't like him as he was the type I thought was pretty average but lifted against North whenever we played his mob. But really I didn't like him because he was a good player and was consistently good against us.

I think he got more out of Carlton and St Kilda as coach than many others would have and I am genuinely pleased he's at North.

No matter what happens in the next few years, I'd want Ratts to be there still.

I think we're seeing with St Kilda just how much he got out of them, and Carlton went to crap after they shafted him.

I think we're seeing with St Kilda just how much he got out of them, and Carlton went to crap after they shafted him.

He is a natural leader who can clearly "lead" a football program - there are many coaches (current and former) who just don't have "it" - the fact that he's been able to transition into this role so seamlessly further backs that up. Its interesting - it would appear he's actually better suited to the way coaching setups have evolved in recent years and will continue to do so - The Senior Coach has become much more like the CEO of a company over time, responsible for setting overall direction, driving culture and managing people beneath him/her who have defined roles and deliverables. I think Ratts is really well-suited to that role - I know I will be in the minority (not necessarily on BF, but more broadly) but I think he should be a candidate for senior roles next year and beyond (albeit I clearly hope he doesn't leave us!)

He is a natural leader who can clearly "lead" a football program - there are many coaches (current and former) who just don't have "it" - the fact that he's been able to transition into this role so seamlessly further backs that up. Its interesting - it would appear he's actually better suited to the way coaching setups have evolved in recent years and will continue to do so - The Senior Coach has become much more like the CEO of a company over time, responsible for setting overall direction, driving culture and managing people beneath him/her who have defined roles and deliverables. I think Ratts is really well-suited to that role - I know I will be in the minority (not necessarily on BF, but more broadly) but I think he should be a candidate for senior roles next year and beyond (albeit I clearly hope he doesn't leave us!)

The messaging re Clarko return seems to be about him coming back in a high level role for now, meaning Ratts as coach is plausible.

Members first - Clarkson's coming back next week as a slow transition back to full time duties.

Alastair Clarkson will begin his transition back to the role of senior coach of the North Melbourne Football Club next week after he spent time away focusing on his physical and mental well-being.

Clarkson will spend the next month integrating back into the program with a view to returning to the senior coaching role before the end of the current season.

Brett Ratten will remain as senior coach and will fulfill all the duties that’s included in that role for the next period of time.

Clarkson's initial focus will be around game analysis, including game trends and opposition analysis and working with the coaching group on game plan and strategy. He won't be part of the club's match day set-up in the short-term.

North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood said that Clarkson had made the brave and right call to step away and focus on his mental and physical health, but he was now ready to come back into the football department.

"We are pleased that Alastair has been able to get the support he needs to return to the club and work towards doing what he loves most and does best – coach the team," Dr Hood said.

"We've had some really good dialogue with Alastair and we're all comfortable he's ready to make a return into the football department ahead of getting back in the senior coach's chair later this season.

"In the meantime, Brett Ratten and the rest of the coaching group will continue to lead and develop the playing group.

"It's also really important to acknowledge the work Brett, Todd Viney and the rest of the footy department have done in Alastair's absence so that his return will be as smooth as possible."

Last edited:
Alastair Clarkson will begin his transition back to the role of senior coach of the North Melbourne Football Club next week after he spent time away focusing on his physical and mental well-being.

Clarkson will spend the next month integrating back into the program with a view to returning to the senior coaching role before the end of the current season.

Brett Ratten will remain as senior coach and will fulfill all the duties that’s included in that role for the next period of time.

Clarkson's initial focus will be around game analysis, including game trends and opposition analysis and working with the coaching group on game plan and strategy. He won't be part of the club's match day set-up in the short-term.

North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood said that Clarkson had made the brave and right call to step away and focus on his mental and physical health, but he was now ready to come back into the football department.

"We are pleased that Alastair has been able to get the support he needs to return to the club and work towards doing what he loves most and does best – coach the team," Dr Hood said.

"We've had some really good dialogue with Alastair and we're all comfortable he's ready to make a return into the football department ahead of getting back in the senior coach's chair later this season.

"In the meantime, Brett Ratten and the rest of the coaching group will continue to lead and develop the playing group.

"It's also really important to acknowledge the work Brett, Todd Viney and the rest of the footy department have done in Alastair's absence so that his return will be as smooth as possible."

Members first - Clarkson's coming back next week as a slow transition back to full time duties.

I just read the email myself (I am a NMFC paid up member thanks to Le Grille) and am happy to read that Clarko is doing much better Mental Health wise and in a position to return to coaching (probably for only the last 3 or 4 games of the season)

He didn't deserve the hell he went through this Hawthorn Racism Witch-hunt via the media and I wish him all the best and North too going forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news but still confused over what the outcome of the HRC hearings may be and how they may affect the situation. Seems a never ending saga. But great to have Clarko back - we need every bit of expertise he has.

Good news but still confused over what the outcome of the HRC hearings may be and how they may affect the situation. Seems a never ending saga. But great to have Clarko back - we need every bit of expertise he has.
The HRC thing will move extremely slowly and I’d be very surprised if anything came out of it.

I just read the email myself (I am a NMFC paid up member thanks to Le Grille) and am happy to read that Clarko is doing much better Mental Health wise and in a position to return to coaching (probably for only the last 3 or 4 games of the season)

He didn't deserve the hell he went through this Hawthorn Racism Witch-hunt via the media and I wish him all the best and North too going forwards.
Still in contact with Le Grille? If so, tell him he's missed and hope he's doing ok.

The HRC thing will move extremely slowly and I’d be very surprised if anything came out of it.

Also, Clarko and the others may well be very willing to do the kind of formal mediation that the HRC demands.

Maybe they just didn't want to get in a room with nameless accusers and their ambulance chasing lawyers, Peter Jess, Gillon McLachlan and have to agree to abide by whatever outcome that crew came up with lol.

Welcome back Alastair and &&$# you to all the haters!
Good to hear that Clarko is being eased back into it slowly…..the club and board as a whole have been amazing with their decision making.
My whole opinion of Ratts as a past player / coach has done a complete 360 during this “event”.
He‘s become a part of the furniture and l’m absolutely stoked like a kid bouncing on a trampoline to have him. May he never leave…

Hopefully the work involving list management includes daily/hourly phone calls to AFL house for a prority pick. With none of the terms & conditions of last year's package and not overseen by someone returning to a senior coaching role weeks later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back