List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a swing at a starting 18 of players who are 25 or younger, and likely to be on the senior list next year (no MAllen, Mutimer, no Rioli).

FB: Nelson Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan Rotham Foley
C: O’Neill Ainsworth Ah Chee
HF: Brander Allen Ryan
FF: Petch Waterman Venables
R: Williams, Kelly, Sheed

Midfield is thin, can’t deny that, but the rest is set up beautifully. I think we’re ok for the future, regardless of what Geelong picks come back. Will be in an even better spot if Petch/Venables/Brander show signs of being able to be used in the centre line.
Where do we sit with de-listing Allen and Mutimer now? I know we need to make 3 changes but does bringing in Kelly count as 1 or do we still need to draft/upgrade 3 guys no matter what?

People are saying Kelly is a proven performer as opposed to roll of the dice draft picks and it's a fair point but the thing is the value of draft picks isn't just limited to who you select in the draft. They can also be used as currency to trade in other proven performers. By the sounds of it we are going to be without any meaningful picks for the next couple of drafts. But to be fair, Kelly is a gun so we shall see.

To me what's being reported is overs but I will refrain from commenting further until details are confirmed.

Wow 250 pages later - hopefully it does all go down tomorrow, These last few days is the most hectic ive ever seen bf forums - trumping game day and tribunal night by a long long way

Glad for the kelly family, glad the deal appears in the realm of fair, and glad this should be the end of bitter posts on the wc and gfc boards. (If you still froth over bitter posts plz search daniher trade thread @ EFC or Swanz board)

Biggest winner of the draft period will be work productivity once the TK11 signing gets announced tomorrow
WCE2020 Boom!

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where do we sit with de-listing Allen and Mutimer now? I know we need to make 3 changes but does bringing in Kelly count as 1 or do we still need to draft/upgrade 3 guys no matter what?

I can’t find it specifically in the rules, but I would say it counts for one.

My understanding is you have to make three changes to your senior list, so by acquiring Kelly and losing Masten, that should count as one change.

Well he's back in the role temporarily this year isn't he?
How many crazy pick swap deals did we do before Rawlings was the list manager? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of any.
Seems fairly obvious that all those pick swap trades were heavily influenced by Rawlings.
Rawlings was just a smart operator in my opinion, he's a bigger loss than people think.

And also you seem to be conceding that this deal is on the dodgy side.

Bit hard to concede that when we don’t know what the deal was?

Our smart pick swaps go all the way back to the Sheed one, I don’t think Rawlings was in the role then. I could be wrong.

My understanding is you have to make three changes to your senior list, so by acquiring Kelly and losing Masten, that should count as one change.
So we take one in the draft and upgrade Frankie then I guess.
Unless we manage to nab Acres somehow (although it doesn't look like we've got much left to make a move).

Trade ins don’t count, but rookie upgrades do and we’ll have to upgrade Watson

Hard to argue with out list management when we’ve won a flag and been competitive for 5 years

But can’t shake the feeling we are overly generous at the trade table

We always seem to pay full rack rate - even when we hold all the chips

Kelly’s had a good season - hopefully he’s not a one season wonder

Thanks Keys. Yeo gotta be an absolute bargain for 28. Probably rivals our pick of D Cox in the rookie draft
When we pick up Yeo we traded pick 6 to Collingwood for 11 & 31. And we used 11 on dom sheed and from previous reports if required we would have used 6, but we felt we could get him at 11. Yeo effectively came to us for nothing as we kept 31 and traded 28 that we already held. One of our best trade manoeuvres in recent times.

also up there is the trade last year during live trading with Sydney that handed us pick 24 this year, which from all reports will be key in picking up TK. Great work recruiting team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are saying Kelly is a proven performer as opposed to roll of the dice draft picks and it's a fair point but the thing is the value of draft picks isn't just limited to who you select in the draft. They can also be used as currency to trade in other proven performers. By the sounds of it we are going to be without any meaningful picks for the next couple of drafts. But to be fair, Kelly is a gun so we shall see.

To me what's being reported is overs but I will refrain from commenting further until details are confirmed.

There is no other proven performer wanting to come here this year. Coniglio re-signed and the rest just aren't interested for various reasons. There's a reason why teams often move heaven and earth to retain their stars.

So which proven performer would give us what Kelly will? That is available for trade?

I have no issue with our trade of a first rounder this year, as the picks will be limited anyway. From what I have seen in the NAB League every week, and across the Nationals, the pickings are a little slimmer than usual. HOWEVER, giving up our first rounder for next year may be an issue, unless we finish top 4. The best next year are very good, if we have a lean year, our selection could be a fair get. I guess its a dice roll on Kelly helping to ensure we continue to remain in the Premiership window, meaning our pick next year is less of an issue. Interesting to see what happens tomorrow, and the effect ongoing. I think the risk v reward works for us now, and sometimes when you are close, that 1 extra A grader can be all that is required to salute on the last day in September. Here is hoping.

If we lose 33 and get 36 and a second back next year, then OK. I would prefer to get nothing back and keep 24 this year.
Out: 14, 24, 33, 2020 1st
In: Kelly, 36, 2020 2nd

So end of the day 14 turns to 15/16, 24 turns to 26/27 and our future 1st could be anywhere from 15 to 25 with all the nga kids next year of which we may have some.

16, 27 and 19 for Kelly plus 2020 30.

33 for 36.

Could we turn 36 plus both 2020 2nds into a late 1st?

So end of the day 14 turns to 15/16, 24 turns to 26/27 and our future 1st could be anywhere from 15 to 25 with all the nga kids next year of which we may have some.

16, 27 and 19 for Kelly plus 2020 30.

33 for 36.

Could we turn 36 plus both 2020 2nds into a late 1st?
Cant trade both 2020 2nds only 1

Will reserve expressing my full opinion on the trade until the complete exacts of the trade come to light.

The latter swap picks will be an important component of the trade and until we know what they are, its a half baked cake.

But in the end ......... it is what it is........ and thats the price our Club has to pay in order to get a decent A grade midfielder onto our list.

Because we sure as shit don't know how to draft one.

Exactly my thoughts

We have had to pay up to get a quality player and I'll cop the deal because our first rounders are weak.

But I was looking at the deal and thinking "how about we just ****ing draft him next time". Hopefully it prompts a review of our drafting of mids.

Still have to draft 3 no matter what however upgrades from rookie list a to main list count as a spot. So we are committed to upgrade frankie watson to the main list so at a minimum have to make 2 more delistings. We went from 39-40 with frankie going from rookie to main and then down to 39 with masten out. AFAIK mutimer is also 100% out as he has removed his IG handles amongst other things. That puts us at 38 main list players. If we delist Rioli (i would) with the intention of picking him up as our last rookie pick (I can't see him being touched) Then we don't have to cut any further. If we keep 33 and get 36 I would cut another as I see Sokol going in the main draft. If we don't end up with 2 second round picks i would just take best available on talent with our late second rounder (georgiades is the man for me unless someone like taylor or robertson dramatically slides), take sokol late in the draft, delist our rookies bar edwards who we have committed to a second year on the rookie list, pick up willie with our last rookie pick, jye bolton with our first rookie pick and some unheard of ******** nobody who will never even get remotely close to a game with our other pick as we seem to have a quotient of one of those a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back