Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't closed the other sources and we're still connected to a national grid.

Snowy Hydro, the biggest battery, has been delayed a long time, so they might need to extend some other generation, but it's due to operate in 2027, which isn't that far away.

Probably the best decision taken in the Turnbull Morrison govt

All electricity prices are subject to Supply vs Demand.
There is not enough electricity when renewables are not generating, so the suppliers cash in.

With plans to close coal plants, and plans to electrify truck and bus fleets, this shortage will continue for a long time while they play catch up with wind farms, solar farms and batteries.

Nearly everything you buy is based on supply and demand and the manufacturing/production costs are sometimes irrelevant.
No shortage if batteries are built. Solar plus batteries plus added transmission costs are cheaper then coal and gas generation (and nuclear).

They just need to mandate (as they have recently announced in China) that for all new solar and wind capacity installed there must also be sufficient batteries installed.

No shortage if batteries are built. Solar plus batteries plus added transmission costs are cheaper then coal and gas generation (and nuclear).

I'd be interested to see your costings, but it would take too much space in the wrong thread.
Batteries are NOT cheap at all.

I'd be interested to see your costings, but it would take too much space in the wrong thread.
They are if you realise a power grid doesnt need 1 for 1 back up. For an independent off grid hub where you do need full back up they are quite expensive. But not in a large grid thats also connected with wind and hydro across multiple states with flexible consumers to boot. The storage ratio becomes quite small therefore bringing down the costs. The power models i work with suggest that fully decarbonised grids only require 5-20 percent storage capacity.

We haven't closed the other sources and we're still connected to a national grid.

Snowy Hydro, the biggest battery, has been delayed a long time, so they might need to extend some other generation, but it's due to operate in 2027, which isn't that far away.

We've been short in Victoria since Hazelwood closed.
Businesses are being "paid" to shut down at peak times to avoid brownouts.
Snowy is massive.
It doesn't matter its been delayed, at the moment surplus renewable is only occasional where the Snowy will be drawing from. ( It will improve ).
If they shut down Yallourn, the Snowy "might" cover it.
After that they need more.

Meanwhile, if you were investing money, why would you build a Solar farm that will produce most of its electricity when all the other solar panels in the state are delivering flat out? As Nut says, Solar power at the right time is virtually free.
Why invest in something you are giving away for free?

They are if you realise a power grid doesnt need 1 for 1 back up. For an independent off grid hub where you do need full back up they are quite expensive. But not in a large grid thats also connected with wind and hydro across multiple states with flexible consumers to boot. The storage ratio becomes quite small therefore bringing down the costs. The power models i work with suggest that fully decarbonised grids only require 5-20 percent storage capacity.

There is not always wind and sun, and Hydro is limited by the water supply. Hydro is great for wet countries with small populations. We don't have anything near the necessary Hydro potential.
You don't think there is such a thing as a windless night?
Its very obvious you need 1 for 1 backup.
You really think its easy to transmit electricity across states separated by 1000s of km. What do your power models say about that?

Presser on ABC News live now.

They're now explaining why gas power is going to be a big part of the next 20 years while they build 7 nuclear plants. They're going to release the location of the nuclear plants at previous coal plants. After they give coal plants handouts for land which those companies were supposed to close and rehabilitate.

We've been short in Victoria since Hazelwood closed.
Businesses are being "paid" to shut down at peak times to avoid brownouts.
Snowy is massive.
It doesn't matter its been delayed, at the moment surplus renewable is only occasional where the Snowy will be drawing from. ( It will improve ).
If they shut down Yallourn, the Snowy "might" cover it.
After that they need more.

Meanwhile, if you were investing money, why would you build a Solar farm that will produce most of its electricity when all the other solar panels in the state are delivering flat out? As Nut says, Solar power at the right time is virtually free.
Why invest in something you are giving away for free?

Large solar farms have contracts with retailers ..
The spot price is what’s left over and can be Volatile.

renewables during the day will be worth more when they can be stored.
Also demand for electricity will increase as we transition to EVs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

climate change alone will increase electricity demand

as does our shitty houses

as does the removal of gas from new developments (not against this by the way,it needs to be done)

EVs are only a part of it
'
but at the end of the day energy demands will go up as long as populations are growing regardless of anything else

So you claim that Solar Farms will make good money from Battery operators.
If the Battery Operators also make good money, that sounds like expensive electricity to me, given the Battery operators also have to pay for their Battery.

Yes i mentioned that EV's will create more demand, and when demand outstrips supply it gets expensive.

Not even started on tidal energy yet. Totally reliable and often in darkness

Red areas will have strong tidal flows

View attachment 2023796

This is the largest tidal power station in the world.
800px-Sihwa_Lake_Tidal_Power_Station_aerial_view.jpg

Its "Peak" power ( ie once per tide ) is the same as this.

images

It can be done, but its not going to be cheap so it won't provide cheap electricity.
Also it might annoy the fishies.

So you claim that Solar Farms will make good money from Battery operators.
If the Battery Operators also make good money, that sounds like expensive electricity to me, given the Battery operators also have to pay for their Battery.

Yes i mentioned that EV's will create more demand, and when demand outstrips supply it gets expensive.

My claim is solar farms have contracts.
Batteries will also have contracts.
Snowy 2 will have contracts

Dutton has certainly set the cat among the pigeons. Think about it. Just like the Voice to parliament with Linda Birney front and centre, Albo will now have to front up and defend his mass immigration, and renewables only energy policy day after day after day with numbskulls like Bowen, O Neil and Giles in the spotlight. Could be a one termer.

I know it's the wrong thread, but are there enough materials on the planet to build enough batteries to the scale required to replace fossil fuels?

Does anyone have any evidence?

California Governor Gavin Newsom described the lake as the Saudi Arabia of lithium. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that there are 3,400 kilotons of lithium beneath the Salton Sea, enough to produce batteries for 375 million electric vehicles.
The I looked up how many vehicles there are in the world today.

In 2024, the number of cars in the world has grown to 1.475 billion – that's one car for every 5.5 humans, or 182 per 1000 humans.9 Feb 2024

This is not taking into consideration, storage batteries for houses with solar, let alone large scale batteries for power stations.

Yeah I know it's only one place in the world with lithium reserves, none the less the article you've posted doesn't confirm whether or not there is enough material to build to scale to replace fossil for the whole world.

California Governor Gavin Newsom described the lake as the Saudi Arabia of lithium. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that there are 3,400 kilotons of lithium beneath the Salton Sea, enough to produce batteries for 375 million electric vehicles.
The I looked up how many vehicles there are in the world today.

In 2024, the number of cars in the world has grown to 1.475 billion – that's one car for every 5.5 humans, or 182 per 1000 humans.9 Feb 2024

This is not taking into consideration, storage batteries for houses with solar, let alone large scale batteries for power stations.

Yeah I know it's only one place in the world with lithium reserves, none the less the article you've posted doesn't confirm whether or not there is enough material to build to scale to replace fossil for the whole world.

The developments in sodium batteries should put your mind to rest….

Last edited:
Dutton has certainly set the cat among the pigeons. Think about it. Just like the Voice to parliament with Linda Birney front and centre, Albo will now have to front up and defend his mass immigration, and renewables only energy policy day after day after day with numbskulls like Bowen, O Neil and Giles in the spotlight. Could be a one termer.

The ALP doesn't have to 'defend' renewables. It's long settled policy that for energy security and climate change purposes we should - along with the rest of the world, by the way - invest in renewables. Thought the teal movement informed us already that any move back to fossil fuels and climate change scepticism will get you thrown out of office. This isn't the US where being anti-science gets you elected.

All the ALP has to do is attack the monstrous cost and negative stigma of nuclear power. It doesn't matter whether the stigma is reasonable, of course it's safer than a coal plant - and overall better for the environment - but the well documented impacts when it goes wrong and the perception of glowing in the dark is enough to make it electoral suicide.

Good luck to Dutton if they win this based on the promise of nuclear power.

Albo will now have to front up and defend his mass immigration, and renewables only energy policy day after day after day
Turns out he didn't even have to do that for a single day.

Imagine the stupidity of Dutton's gang of clown advisers not even making sure he could get his proposed sites let alone forgetting about state laws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back