Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

This is correct. But the LNP can't even pursue that attack because their power policy would see energy prices increase overall, including Govt investment and subsidisation of nuclear energy.
That's the stupid thing about it. Energy policy is a stronghold for the ALP at the moment. By making a dumb (borderline unachievable) promise, Albanese has opened himself up to being questioned about his trustworthiness (regardless of whether the LNP policy is worse).

Dumb... Just so dumb....

You can't have it both ways... Either the $300 BS subsidy is over delivering on the promise, or we have to wait until 2025... Which one is it?
Both … I’m confident power prices are going to fall.

Seriously if you haven’t been able to reduce your power bills with the current retail offers than you aren’t very clever.

I signed with AGL… got a $120 sign on fee, stayed with them 8 days and got a cheque fur $113… I then signed up to Engie and got $200 and was with them for 26 days and got paid a credit with them too..

Seriously if you haven’t been able to reduce your power bills with the current retail offers than you aren’t very clever.

I signed with AGL… got a $120 sign on fee, stayed with them 8 days and got a cheque fur $113… I then signed up to Engie and got $200 and was with them for 26 days and got paid a credit with them too..
Nahhhhhhh Albo didn't get up and say "if you do some research and have a good understanding of the energy market you might be able to save some dosh".

He said his policy(ies) would save people $275 per year, which is plainly untrue.

I can't understand why people are trying to defend this... What is there to gain? He made a stupid claim and is being called out for it. Why would people bother to stick up for that?

You can't tell the difference between costs and marketing.
What you are doing is like signing up for a new credit card with zero interest on your existing balance.
You can do that too, but it doesn't mean that interest rates are trending towards zero.

Nahhhhhhh Albo didn't get up and say "if you do some research and have a good understanding of the energy market you might be able to save some dosh".

He said his policy(ies) would save people $275 per year, which is plainly untrue.

I can't understand why people are trying to defend this... What is there to gain? He made a stupid claim and is being called out for it. Why would people bother to stick up for that?

a. I bet you can understand why.

b. My footy team.

You can't tell the difference between costs and marketing.
What you are doing is like signing up for a new credit card with zero interest on your existing balance.
You can do that too, but it doesn't mean that interest rates are trending towards zero.
Well if you pay your credit card inside the interest free period, the interest rate is irrelevant.

Ok then sign up with OVO and get free electricity between 11am and 2pm and 8c at night.
Shift your heavy usage to these times like dishwasher, dryer and heat your house. ..

If I wasn’t making great money with Amber electric, I would be still swapping energy supplies and getting credit every month.

Well if you pay your credit card inside the interest free period, the interest rate is irrelevant.

Ok then sign up with OVO and get free electricity between 11am and 2pm and 8c at night.
Shift your heavy usage to these times like dishwasher, dryer and heat your house. ..

If I wasn’t making great money with Amber electric, I would be still swapping energy supplies and getting credit every month.
And yet none of this has anything to do with Albanese's promise to cut power prices. Enjoy your energy shopping....

And yet none of this has anything to do with Albanese's promise to cut power prices. Enjoy your energy shopping....

Enjoy complaining about a promise that was made whilst the LNP changed regulations to hide the increases in power costs until after the election…

Enjoy complaining about a promise that was made whilst the LNP changed regulations to hide the increases in power costs until after the election…

I'm not arguing that the LNP policies are better (or even worth considering). You got called out for comparing the $300 power subsidy to a promise to decrease power prices by $300. Rather than trying to justify your position you went rambling on about people being able to find savings if they want to.

I'm not arguing that the LNP policies are better (or even worth considering). You got called out for comparing the $300 power subsidy to a promise to decrease power prices by $300. Rather than trying to justify your position you went rambling on about people being able to find savings if they want to.

Don’t want albo to hold your hand? Under the current market it’s not hard to reduce your power bills.

So unless every last house got exactly $275 less it’s a fail? Doesn’t sound practical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot the difference, these are todays wholesale spot price in NSW ……
Which one is dominated by gas? and which one is dominated renewables?

Now when Snowy hydro and more battery storage comes online and powers the grid during peak periods, what will happened to prices? Hmmmm up or down?View attachment 2023262
Are you arguing a cherry picked spot price is proof energy prices are falling 🤣 are you actually Chris Bowen?

Are you arguing a cherry picked spot price is proof energy prices are falling 🤣 are you actually Chris Bowen?

Today there was a forecasted spike that didn’t eventuate …

We have excess cheap renewables in the grid .. this will get stored, which will bring down peak prices … it’s not difficult concept to understand.

If you want to have a look into the future … look no further than California

California did everything dumb they possibly could , and unfortunately we are emulating them.
( including building a bunch of cheap inefficient gas turbines at the time).

California did everything dumb they possibly could , and unfortunately we are emulating them.
( including building a bunch of cheap inefficient gas turbines at the time).

An article from last October … are you going bring up south Australian black outs too?

Today there was a forecasted spike that didn’t eventuate …

We have excess cheap renewables in the grid .. this will get stored, which will bring down peak prices … it’s not difficult concept to understand.

If you want to have a look into the future … look no further than California

Its hard to understand because the manufacture and materials needed to make mega batteries mostly defeat the purpose of saving the atmosphere. Also the technology isn't anywhere near viable.

California has always had black outs…

Batteries are solving that

California had a very similar energy economics to Australia.
They went through the phase where the only new generation was inefficient small gas turbines producing expensive electricoity, ( the lowest capital outlay ) and some years later we emulated that. ( until we ran out of gas in Victoria due to exporting it in liquid form ).
We seem to be now emulating their system of reliance on renewable s BEFORE they had battery.
We are heading down that path.
We are further behind them than last October and we are far too stupid to learn from their mistakes.

So unless every last house got exactly $275 less it’s a fail? Doesn’t sound practical
Two things here

1) That is what he said their costings showed, so yes. It was a dumb flag to put in the ground in the first place, and he should be held to it.
2) It won't be anywhere near that because the "savings" aren't real, it's just a government subsidy (rather than a policy setting change which drives prices down).

The gas turbines were a nice market driven rort. They weren’t efficient but when spot prices were high, they ran them to cream off the market. They had dealing desks alongside generator control panels
The market in action sic

Those running actual baseload generators who actuall provided the public service hated them

Different with renewables. They are all about lowering the overall price.

If gas is to be the back up during transition let’s ensure they aren’t run by pirates

California had a very similar energy economics to Australia.
They went through the phase where the only new generation was inefficient small gas turbines producing expensive electricoity, ( the lowest capital outlay ) and some years later we emulated that. ( until we ran out of gas in Victoria due to exporting it in liquid form ).
We seem to be now emulating their system of reliance on renewable s BEFORE they had battery.
We are heading down that path.
We are further behind them than last October and we are far too stupid to learn from their mistakes.
We haven't closed the other sources and we're still connected to a national grid.

Snowy Hydro, the biggest battery, has been delayed a long time, so they might need to extend some other generation, but it's due to operate in 2027, which isn't that far away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back