Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve realised I’ve overreacted, I’m just so sick of losing.
But I’ve realised I’ve been far too quick to be “sick of honourable losses”. It’s a vast improvement on where we’ve been. If you told me this time last year that we’d be playing like this led largely by the kids at this stage, I’d have taken it for sure.

My frustrations aren’t so much at the team on the day because most of them have been trying their hardest which is all we’ve asked. I just lose my cool a bit when I see, for instance, Corr as sub, or Turner named, or Greenwood dropped after offering us so much the week before. My frustrations aren’t at our potential or even the fact that we’re only showing glimpses of it - I’m just concerned that we won’t reach it through poor decisions in regards to selection and who should be leading the way on the park at this point in time.

I don’t doubt the ceiling for this group is very high, but we need to do things right to reach it. It’s not inevitable.

If we’re grown adults sitting on our a$ses getting upset at these non-efforts and clangers from senior players going unpunished, imagine how it feels to be a kid like Wardlaw or Sheezel actually playing, who are putting it in 100% giving everything they have to this club. Imagine how they feel sometimes looking around and they’re already light years ahead of certain others. Or seeing seniors who they have to carry when it should really be the other way round at this stage.

I hope it’s lighting a fire in their belly as opposed to the contrary. They’re all signing up and we’re thrilled to see it. But they need the right things done by them in order to be the best versions of themselves and lead us out of the mire. These signings and the way they’re playing would suggest that they’re taking ownership of their roles within this club, they see a future and most importantly a future where it’s up to them to write history. We can’t blow it.

I believe they will succeed. But I don’t know that they will. It’s not inevitable. If we keep canceling out their hard work by picking old players who have not been and will never be great, or who don’t go when it’s their turn, don’t lead… maybe we’re just spinning our wheels. “We may as well lose with all the kids”. Hey, it’s working for Hawthorn. They’ve gone all in with the youth and they’re at least getting the odd win to validate that decision. They’re getting that winning feeling, we still don’t know how to win. It shouldn’t be like this. What have they got that we haven’t?

So apologies for my negativity and things said that were way out of line. It’s just been a looong time since 1999 and it’s been a heart in the mouth ride since then with nothing really to show. We’ve all been through a lot with this great club. I’m glad we still have the club at all. And we all want this current plan to work. We’re probably just expressing that sentiment in different ways.

This group has the potential not just to be ‘good’ or tread water for a couple decades. I see a potential to be great and that’s a very different thing as we know, having seen both in most of our lifetimes. We’re neither good nor great at the moment and this somewhere many of us have not been. I think we all just want to nail it and get back to enjoying the footy.
✌🏼
Up the Roos, forever.
💙🤍
Yes

Loved the way we structured up and played for territory in the first quarter. A lack of fitness, I guess, that this dropped away.

Loved the increased resilience that the team is showing, to remain competitive and to fight back, multiple times.

Goldy had a good first quarter but got pantsed by English after that. Should be Goldys last year.
Disagree. Goldy was winning the hit-outs but our midfield wasn't getting the clearances.

I think Goldy had like, six or 7 intercept marks in the Bulldogs forward line?

Was possibly BOG today.

We got flogged last year and were actually in this game more than i kind of thought. So maybe the backline did better under pressure than they're getting credit for.
Port had 59 inside 50’s for 30 scoring shots against Geelong. Dogs, 72 inside 50 for the same scoring shots.

Everyone’s picking on the wrong captain.

Disagree. Goldy was winning the hit-outs but our midfield wasn't getting the clearances.

Was possibly BOG today.
You really do struggle with football don’t you. Goldy had 4 marks in total.

Regarding the backline, I think everyone is right.

We DID hold up pretty well, 85% of the time. But the 15% is really, really bad. And that's why it's going to be hard to win games consistently with our current backline, because there are too many blokes there who, over each 100 entries, just shit the bed enough times to cost us 5 goals. That's enough to beat you in most games.

The good news is, and they said it in First Crack, is that that shouldn't be happening in twelve months. We're just going to have to lump it for a little while longer. But anyone not taking solace from the fact that we're staying in games around these clangers, is missing a big part of this rebuild actually going well.

I’d argue that we’ve lost our last few games due to being monstered in the area that will be our strong point in the future - our midfield. Our defence held up well today. Our forward line is shaping up really well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the backline, I think everyone is right.

We DID hold up pretty well, 85% of the time. But the 15% is really, really bad. And that's why it's going to be hard to win games consistently with our current backline, because there are too many blokes there who, over each 100 entries, just s**t the bed enough times to cost us 5 goals. That's enough to beat you in most games.

The good news is, and they said it in First Crack, is that that shouldn't be happening in twelve months. We're just going to have to lump it for a little while longer. But anyone not taking solace from the fact that we're staying in games around these clangers, is missing a big part of this rebuild actually going well.
The caravan-ing by senior players is what is so costly.

Logue, McKay, McDonald, Corr. All giving their direct opponents 4-5m of space, never able to make up the ground on a lead.

Shit.

Let’s talk about CCJ. What’s even going to become of him? Don’t think the tank is there to be a modern day ruckman. Is his purpose just to have a tall defender allocated to him to let another off the chain?

Was possibly BOG today.
I reckon that's a very generous take.

Meh, Boys hung in there. Would've considered leaving early if that FIGJAM kicked a bit straighter (I'm still traumatised from Good Friday 2021).

Bring on the Bye to give everyone a refresh.

🤣My sons give me a hard time because I melt so much during North games. Then I come on here and realise I’m just a novice in the “melting stakes”. That’s how I know BigFooty is the home of cranky old men.

There’s no doubt we’re improving. There’s also no doubt we have holes in every area of the ground - that backline though - groan. We can say the backline held up well in the face of 70 i50’s but they are also very much responsible for the repeat entries with their 1990’s boot it round the corner style rebounds.

We have to suck it up and start committing top-end resources to the back half. Naughton on ABC radio after the game said that at half-time they put a real focus on restricting Sheez coming of half back coz that’s when we looked dangerous. Dude isn’t even a back man he’s just a shitload better than the dross we have currently.

I’d argue that we’ve lost our last few games due to being monstered in the area that will be our strong point in the future - our midfield. Our defence held up well today. Our forward line is shaping up really well.

Build on strength. That is what we need to do and I feel we don’t really live it yet. Our midfield is our strength but we seem to plug holes with mids. Play the difference makers where they make a difference and work on the rest. So no more TT in defence

He was on TT for at least 3 of his goals
I need to clear this up as what the telecast showed is Thomas being Weightmans direct opponent.

THIS ISNT THE CASE.

Thomas had Bailey Smith for the first 3 quarters and lined up on him for each centre bounce.

Our defence is useless in transition off a turnover so it looked like Thomas had lost his man for 2 of the goals. He was trying to cover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back