Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve realised I’ve overreacted, I’m just so sick of losing.
But I’ve realised I’ve been far too quick to be “sick of honourable losses”. It’s a vast improvement on where we’ve been. If you told me this time last year that we’d be playing like this led largely by the kids at this stage, I’d have taken it for sure.

My frustrations aren’t so much at the team on the day because most of them have been trying their hardest which is all we’ve asked. I just lose my cool a bit when I see, for instance, Corr as sub, or Turner named, or Greenwood dropped after offering us so much the week before. My frustrations aren’t at our potential or even the fact that we’re only showing glimpses of it - I’m just concerned that we won’t reach it through poor decisions in regards to selection and who should be leading the way on the park at this point in time.

I don’t doubt the ceiling for this group is very high, but we need to do things right to reach it. It’s not inevitable.

If we’re grown adults sitting on our a$ses getting upset at these non-efforts and clangers from senior players going unpunished, imagine how it feels to be a kid like Wardlaw or Sheezel actually playing, who are putting it in 100% giving everything they have to this club. Imagine how they feel sometimes looking around and they’re already light years ahead of certain others. Or seeing seniors who they have to carry when it should really be the other way round at this stage.

I hope it’s lighting a fire in their belly as opposed to the contrary. They’re all signing up and we’re thrilled to see it. But they need the right things done by them in order to be the best versions of themselves and lead us out of the mire. These signings and the way they’re playing would suggest that they’re taking ownership of their roles within this club, they see a future and most importantly a future where it’s up to them to write history. We can’t blow it.

I believe they will succeed. But I don’t know that they will. It’s not inevitable. If we keep canceling out their hard work by picking old players who have not been and will never be great, or who don’t go when it’s their turn, don’t lead… maybe we’re just spinning our wheels. “We may as well lose with all the kids”. Hey, it’s working for Hawthorn. They’ve gone all in with the youth and they’re at least getting the odd win to validate that decision. They’re getting that winning feeling, we still don’t know how to win. It shouldn’t be like this. What have they got that we haven’t?

So apologies for my negativity and things said that were way out of line. It’s just been a looong time since 1999 and it’s been a heart in the mouth ride since then with nothing really to show. We’ve all been through a lot with this great club. I’m glad we still have the club at all. And we all want this current plan to work. We’re probably just expressing that sentiment in different ways.

This group has the potential not just to be ‘good’ or tread water for a couple decades. I see a potential to be great and that’s a very different thing as we know, having seen both in most of our lifetimes. We’re neither good nor great at the moment and this is somewhere many of us have actually never been.
I think we all just want to nail it and get back to enjoying the footy.
✌🏼
Up the Roos, forever.
💙🤍

Last edited:
He won't be as good as Goldy now, or ever.

I suppose I'm asking whether you can see him being not a liability in the short term and possibly a decent level ruckman in the medium term. I thought he was getting better at the level late last year and before the injury.
Different players.

Goldy is a champion of the game, great skills and a running machine.

X is your Nankervis type, big crash and bash, a lot of mongrel.

Will still be a good player that complements our mids I reckon.

Corr, Logue, Curtis, TT, Lmac, BMac (on his own but Thomas wasn't in screen,) then TT again.
Yeah, the BMac one I thought was TT but it was Shiels who was on him. Shiels Corr and CW went the fly, Sheils chased the crumbs and Corr couldn’t go with CW who pushed forward.

What it shows is that LMac is being blamed for shit by other players.

Different players.

Goldy is a champion of the game, great skills and a running machine.

X is your Nankervis type, big crash and bash, a lot of mongrel.

Will still be a good player that complements our mids I reckon.
It wasn't a long exposure period and it was against Williams who was a shitmen at the time, but his start against West Coast before he got injured was really good. It was enough for me to breathe more easily about our ruck future, even if he doesn't have Goldy's finesse. He very obviously worked on his game over the preseason

Last edited:
It wasn't a long exposure period and it was against Williams who was a shitmen at the time, but his start against West Coast before he got injured was really good. It was enough for me to breath more easily about our ruck future, even if he doesn't have Goldy's finesse. He very obviously worked on his game over the preseason
I think Clarko gave him the nod.

Joey gave the backline a serve on First Crack, fair enough.
Is it though? They had 30 scoring shots, which is usually concerning, but I thought our defence held up to the onslaught of I50s pretty ok. There wasn’t the usual parade of depressing uncontested forward 50 marks that have been our stick in trade.

IMG_4503.jpeg

If McDonald wasn’t Captain he would be dropped.

We are stuck playing this spud.

Good opportunity to really set some standards and show a performance like that won’t be tolerated no matter who the **** you are.
Was dreadful today.
Slow and reactive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it though? They had 30 scoring shots, which is usually concerning, but I thought our defence held up to the onslaught of I50s pretty ok. There wasn’t the usual parade of depressing uncontested forward 50 marks that have been our stick in trade.

View attachment 1716139
I was actually just thinking that while I found some of the loose checking frustrating, the defence was a lot more solid than it was earlier in the season when teams much more regularly kicked to unmarked targets.

The weekly embarrassing thrashings and general hopelessness are fading away, we’re staying in games longer, there‘s a bit more skill and polish around the team mainly due to the youngsters, we’re kicking more goals, we seem a bit more organised and the team spirit seems to be there. We were quite efficient today considering the I50’s and time in fwd half stats. This is pleasing. I think after the bye we need to win 2-3 games to give everyone the confidence that we’re on the right track.

Even with a better % than last year, finishing on 2 wins again would be a fail mark imo. Especially after starting 2-0. I had us penned for 4-5 at the start. Now all I am hoping for is 3.

Good opportunity to really set some standards and show a performance like that won’t be tolerated no matter who the * you are.
Was dreadful today.
Slow and reactive.
You would think the game becomes pretty simple when a player like Weightman starts tearing you apart. One job stop him.

Not our bozo Captain. Too interested in trying to run by for a handball so he can bomb it to the opposition.

Luke was very selfish for a so called leader.

Yeah, the BMac one I thought was TT but it was Shiels who was on him. Shiels Corr and CW went the fly, Sheils chased the crumbs and Corr couldn’t go with CW who pushed forward.

What it shows is that LMac is being blamed for s**t by other players.
Yeah, but this sort of thing happens every week. i don't 100% agree with you about Stevo but I do agree with some of your criticism of him and especially of people who miss his errors then say he is great when he's just been okay.

Its another example. people see with their poreconceptions as much as their eyes. And both you and I do it as well but ... the trick is to be aware of it, try and ctch yourself and listen to other people as well. They might be wrong after you re evaluate by reevaluating is a good thing to do regularly anyway.

There is a lot of stick-in-the-mud posting, people reacting like we just got done by 100 points. I am really happy how we played, we obviously have a long way to go but we basically have no worthwhile senior players over 25.
Except Goldstein. Bit of an indictment really. Older players have held back and cost the side the past month.

You would think the game becomes pretty simple when a player like Weightman starts tearing you apart. One job stop him.

Not our bozo Captain. Too interested in trying to run by for a handball so he can bomb it to the opposition.

Luke was very selfish for a so called leader.
Say what you like about Port but their captain was dropped three weeks ago and is playing reserves. That’s how you set standards.

Last year against this mob inside 50’s were 43-67. Today was 36-72.

It’s all LMacs fault!
We got flogged last year and were actually in this game more than i kind of thought. So maybe the backline did better under pressure than they're getting credit for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back