Autopsy Autopsy vs GCS - no longer 18th

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got to watch the replay last night
we were really really good in large patches. That was a pretty good Gold Coast team and North just belted them at stages.

had some down patches but you're going to get that

One minor criticism is that he players were too unselfish at times. Number of times players passed the ball off when they should have had a crack themselves !
Eddie ford passing at the end sent me spare.

So did Larkey wanting the over the back.

LEAD AT THE BALL CARRIER FFS.

Eddie ford passing at the end sent me spare.

So did Larkey wanting the over the back.

LEAD AT THE BALL CARRIER FFS.

yep love the team first ethos
but sometimes you need a bit of arrogance and selfishness

Eddies one was a prime example ! no way on gods green earth that Boomer would have passed that !

I've been to 9 game (including yesterday) since I started following North last year. First game was the first Essendon game that we lost by a goal, and it's been heartbreak since (we also attended the Freo, Pies, and Dees games this year)... which made yesterday's game all the sweeter. When the siren went I jumped up with everyone else, and promptly had to grab the railing because I was dizzy - I think I'd been holding my breath without realising for the final minute. Our earlier win this year was great, but being there was amazing, and I feel like I am legitimately still on a high from actually seeing a win live.

I think yesterday was also the first game I've been to with a crowd that was totally North dominated, and that was awesome too. We are a really loud fanbase! I do wonder if our naked hostility to the umpires is partly responsible for us getting some 'unfavourable' treatment recently. Is that common among all teams?
Glad you got to see a winning performance for a change. A bloke that sits near me has a boy and girl both under 12 who have sat through loss after loss. They went down to the fence after the win and got their jumpers signed by a couple of players and came back just absolutely beaming. Was really nice to see.

The crowd seemed a lot louder than sub 18k would suggest.

As for the umps, pretty much every supporter base reckons they've been robbed by the umps to some degree even when they haven't. The blatant umpiring mistakes in the Collingwood game would have been lurking in the collective subconscious as the game got down to the wire. It's also part of the theatre of live footy. Umpire no 27 was playing the role of pantomime villain for our bay at times.

Given the massive inside 50 differential, the suns probably should have won.
GCS suns could have won for sure, but I am of the opinion that the defence stood up and were able to withstand the attacks better than in many earlier games.

Happy with that!

As for the umps, pretty much every supporter base reckons they've been robbed by the umps to some degree even when they haven't. The blatant umpiring mistakes in the Collingwood game would have been lurking in the collective subconscious as the game got down to the wire.
I am certain that bad umpiring plays on the minds of players, especially in tight situations like on Saturday as the game was coming to an end. At Hawthorne I used to notice how players were very to respectful towards umpires under Clarkson which I reckon would earn them some cheap frees. North players would often show disrespect (warranted or not) and that would cost them.

I'm beginning to see North players being less abusive these days and hopefully that will result in fewer costly penalties going against us in future.

Montagna has been talking up our kids for years
My favourite commentator. By some way. Intelligent, doesn't use cliches, doesn't argue with anyone on air, doesn't make jokes and talk about things other than the game, no pre-prepared puns, loves us. He's a ripper.

My favourite commentator. By some way. Intelligent, doesn't use cliches, doesn't argue with anyone on air, doesn't make jokes and talk about things other than the game, no pre-prepared puns, loves us. He's a ripper.
My only "gripe" is his predictions as we are kicking for goal. We have missed a few he said we sure things. Otherwise, I think he is great.

What makes this win all the more valuable is the fact it was achieved against a highly motivated opposition that had everything to play for. It was not a dead rubber or a match against fellow strugglers. And even though the Suns lack of away wins has been well-documented, they did play well and had a pretty big last quarter. They haven't choked. We simply willed ourselves to win against their onslaught.

So what is missing?
Smashed them in clearances and possessions but still only scraped home for the win. Given the massive inside 50 differential, the suns probably should have won.

Our backline is much improved and our midfield is firing more consistently these days, yet there is something(s) still not quite right?

The marks inside 50 were basically even (14-13), which tells you a bit about the pressure up field and the quality of their entries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The marks inside 50 were basically even (14-13), which tells you a bit about the pressure up field and the quality of their entries.
Yeah, it never felt like an uneven amount of entries for exactly that reason.

Out of interest Amicalola, how did you come to support this great club only a year ago?
I got into football last year and grew up in North Melbourne, so picked the club automatically without quite realising how bad we were at that point.

But I also much prefer supporting a smaller underdog club than a big one. My most hated clubs are Collingwood, Carlton, and WCE, while my other favourites are Freo and GWS. If I had known more, I would have probably picked North anyway due to living in Victoria and choosing between those three. In that sense I just got lucky.

Last edited:
I got into football last year and grew up in North Melbourne, so picked the club automatically without quite realising how bad we were at that point.

But I also much prefer supporting a smaller underdog club than a big one. My most hated clubs are Collingwood, Carlton, and WCE, while my other favourites are Freo and GWS. If I had known more, I would have probably picked North anyway due to living in Victoria and choosing between those three. In that sense I just got lucky.
Coming on board at our lowest point... full props for that.

So what is missing?
Smashed them in clearances and possessions but still only scraped home for the win. Given the massive inside 50 differential, the suns probably should have won.

Our backline is much improved and our midfield is firing more consistently these days, yet there is something(s) still not quite right?

As the stat daddy David King pointed out, Gold Coast are 2nd in the competition for inside 50’s, and 17th in percentage of scoring shots from inside fiddies.

In fact, GC played a game against the blues recently at the dome, where blues had 10 more scoring shots, won by 5 goals, but both teams have the same amount of inside 50’s.

Although it would be good to see us head into 50 more, the differential on the weekend probably had more to do with Gold Coast being in love with just booting it in there Willy Nilly, even with our boys being set up for it and their forwards being out of position.

The close score? Not sure about you but watching it with a bombers supporting mate (flog), he felt as a neutral we actually about a 4-5 goal better side on Saturday, we just couldn’t close the game out, which is probably more to do with inexperience than anything stats will show us.

I am certain that bad umpiring plays on the minds of players, especially in tight situations like on Saturday as the game was coming to an end. At Hawthorne I used to notice how players were very to respectful towards umpires under Clarkson which I reckon would earn them some cheap frees. North players would often show disrespect (warranted or not) and that would cost them.

I'm beginning to see North players being less abusive these days and hopefully that will result in fewer costly penalties going against us in future.
Makes sense, given umpire abuse can be penalised in and of itself. Watching Xerri and Archer express their disappointment with decisions, without being plonkers, in the last couple of weeks is a good sign. I remember a very amusing performance by Spud Firrito which, in reality, was way out of line and could well have resulted in another goal square free.

We'd get mocked externally for celebrating nearly 18k showing up to watch us play but in 2022 R23 we had just over 14k show up when we played the Suns.

About a 25% increase from what we drew a few years ago is a great sign.

The fans will be out next season and it will build from there. People forget how many members we have, and how the average footy fan is a bandwagoner until success comes around the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs GCS - no longer 18th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back