Prediction Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

When fit, Hansen and Brown are clearly best 22, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with this team. Maybe all the talls in the league are on a bus that goes under the Montague St bridge and we're playing a team of short people?

They're not fit though are they? I think we've been too slow with too many talls in the past. I love Brown and think he'll play most games but Wood has been much much better. So have Petrie & Waite.

Hansen hasn't fired a shot.

Goldy can ruck 90% of the game.

T
They're not fit though are they? I think we've been too slow with too many talls in the past. I love Brown and think he'll play most games but Wood has been much much better. So have Petrie & Waite.

Hansen hasn't fired a shot.

Goldy can ruck 90% of the game.
This is a best22 thread, not rd 1. If Brown & Hansen were unavailable Maj would play and maybe even Tippett depending on opposition. It's the structure Brad likes. How old are you and how much football do you watch? Just curious.

This is for round 1. Left Jacobs out because he's underdone, but if he gets fit before round 1 he's straight in, probably for McDonald. This was ****ing hard to do, I want to include Clarke, Gibson, Jacobs, Turner and Wood but I genuinely don't know who should go out for those players and even then I feel like I'm forgetting someone obvious.

Firrito - Thompson - Wright
Atley - Tarrant - Hansen
Dal Santo - Cunninton - JMac
Harvey - Waite - Higgins
Thomas - Petrie - Brown
Goldstein - Swallow - Wells
Ziebell - Anderson - McDonald - Garner

EMG: Gibson, Wood, Daw

T

This is a best22 thread, not rd 1. If Brown & Hansen were unavailable Maj would play and maybe even Tippett depending on opposition. It's the structure Brad likes. How old are you and how much football do you watch? Just curious.

I watch enough footy. I'm 34. Is that ok? Does that qualify me to have an opinion? I may have even played a bit too. How about yourself?

Best 22 based on form? Best 22 based on 2015 game style?

Not sure about you but I've noticed a change in our style of play at the training sessions I've watched. There seems to be more emphasis on quick ball movement, this requires players with speed and skill. You're right Brown is best 22 when fit. I wouldn't be against playing Petrie, Brown, Waite & Wood in the same side. I have nightmares of every game where we go too tall (GC at the dome last year). We get slaughtered on the spread with our midfield also being quite slow in comparison to the top sides.

Just trying to think outside the box. If we play the same as previous years we can only expect a similar result.

Honestly when is the last time we saw Petrie at a centre bounce? Pretty sure I heard Brad say once that as long as he coaches North, that Petrie will not ruck.

I'm pretty sure Petrie has rucked plenty of times under Scott. I reckon he even rucked last year. It's not ideal but that's life

I watch enough footy. I'm 34. Is that ok? Does that qualify me to have an opinion? I may have even played a bit too. How about yourself?

Best 22 based on form? Best 22 based on 2015 game style?

Not sure about you but I've noticed a change in our style of play at the training sessions I've watched. There seems to be more emphasis on quick ball movement, this requires players with speed and skill. You're right Brown is best 22 when fit. I wouldn't be against playing Petrie, Brown, Waite & Wood in the same side. I have nightmares of every game where we go too tall (GC at the dome last year). We get slaughtered on the spread with our midfield also being quite slow in comparison to the top sides.

Just trying to think outside the box. If we play the same as previous years we can only expect a similar result.

I'm pretty sure Petrie has rucked plenty of times under Scott. I reckon he even rucked last year. It's not ideal but that's life
We didn't play GC at the dome last year.

In Petrie's last two seasons he has played 46 games for a total of 34 hit outs. In those games he has a 9 in round 1 of 2014, a 6 mid year in 2014, and 2 3's last year (round one when BBB didn't play, and round 23 when Goldy didn't play)
I could be wrong but I think that BBB and Daw compete for one spot which is Forward and relief Ruck, and Waite, Petrie, Wood, Black have two spots between them. Wood has the ability to play further afield but is yet to take that opportunity. So imo the kf's will be Petrie, Waite, Brown (unless he isn't fit and then Daw is in).

We didn't play GC at the dome last year.

In Petrie's last two seasons he has played 46 games for a total of 34 hit outs. In those games he has a 9 in round 1 of 2014, a 6 mid year in 2014, and 2 3's last year (round one when BBB didn't play, and round 23 when Goldy didn't play)
I could be wrong but I think that BBB and Daw compete for one spot which is Forward and relief Ruck, and Waite, Petrie, Wood, Black have two spots between them. Wood has the ability to play further afield but is yet to take that opportunity. So imo the kf's will be Petrie, Waite, Brown (unless he isn't fit and then Daw is in).

Must have been thinking of 2014 then. Either way I think we're a tad slow when we play too tall.

My best 22 was based on players that are fit. Like I said Brown is best 22 when fit. I don't think we can afford to leave Wood out though, he's been fantastic.

Sheesh didn't expect to have to explain all that. Imagine if I left JMac out:eek:

He's not.
You're very wrong. IMO when the ball hits the ground BBB is an extremely skilful player. One of the best in the league for his size. Funny how a guy can miss a game and suddenly he's yesterday's man.

Must have been thinking of 2014 then. Either way I think we're a tad slow when we play too tall.

My best 22 was based on players that are fit. Like I said Brown is best 22 when fit. I don't think we can afford to leave Wood out though, he's been fantastic.

Sheesh didn't expect to have to explain all that. Imagine if I left JMac out:eek:

understandable confusion DC, they have beaten us 3 yrs in a row

Is Jacobs best 22 still with the 'tag' becoming non existant now with teams looking to adopt team defenses rather than 4 qtr hard tags?

FWIW Ben Brown is lock best 22 from an outsider. I think hes that important that hes almost gone past Petrie in importance stakes. Just because he can chop out more in the ruck and i also think hes a pretty decent forward in comparison to the ageing Petrie.

Hansen - S.Thompson - Wright

Atley - Tarrant - J.Macmillan

Wells - Swallow - N.Dalsanto

Higgins - Waite - Harvey

Thomas - Petrie - B.Brown

Goldstein - Cunnington - Ziebell

Bench: Mcdonald, Garner

Last 2 spots fight between. Anderson, Jacobs, Gibson, R.Clarke. Probably with the first 2 ahead.

Is Jacobs best 22 still with the 'tag' becoming non existant now with teams looking to adopt team defenses rather than 4 qtr hard tags?
The tag was almost non existant last year but we used it to great effect in the 2nd half of the season. I expect we will continue to do so in 2016, despite the trend going the other way (who knows, maybe with the success of Jacobs, taggers will be back in fashion)
FWIW Ben Brown is lock best 22 from an outsider. I think hes that important that hes almost gone past Petrie in importance stakes. Just because he can chop out more in the ruck and i also think hes a pretty decent forward in comparison to the ageing Petrie.
Brown is absolutely Best 22. The only question is whether he plays early rounds because he has had a limited Pre Season. Jacobs is in the same category. It is why you will see many teams in this thread missing the two of them, because those people are (mostly) doing teams for Round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hansen - S.Thompson - Wright

Wells - Swallow - N.Dalsanto

Higgins - Waite - Harvey

Bench: Mcdonald, Garner

Last 2 spots fight between. Anderson, Jacobs, Gibson, R.Clarke. Probably with the first 2 ahead.
Not sure if you forgot Firrito or omitted him because of age. He is definitely best 22 for now. Good team otherwise

Not sure if you forgot Firrito or omitted him because of age. He is definitely best 22 for now. Good team otherwise

I personally couldnt fit him in.

With forward lines being smaller i think youll go with the 3 genuine talls and 3 smalls Wright and Atley plus another. JMAC seemed to playing closer to defense then he did in 2015. But maybe Firrito is the other guy and can play on smaller opponents.

I personally couldnt fit him in.

With forward lines being smaller i think youll go with the 3 genuine talls and 3 smalls Wright and Atley plus another. JMAC seemed to playing closer to defense then he did in 2015. But maybe Firrito is the other guy and can play on smaller opponents.

Are forward lines getting smaller? I was thinking the opposite. Key forwards are close to 200cm these days, even mids are key forward size. It's sad because our game has always been one of the few that it didn't matter what size you were, there was a spot for you.

Are forward lines getting smaller? I was thinking the opposite. Key forwards are close to 200cm these days, even mids are key forward size. It's sad because our game has always been one of the few that it didn't matter what size you were, there was a spot for you.

Im saying purely on the fact that there is less rotations compared to last year. Thus forward lines need to be more versatile, mobilr and able to play midfield as chop outs.

You guys have a pretty tall forward line in comparison to others it will be interesting to see how that works this year. The good thing is waite and brown move really well for their size and Goldstein goes all day in the ruck.

McDonald - S.Thompson - Wright

Higgins - Wells - N.Dalsanto

Ziebell - Waite - Harvey

Goldstein - Cunnington - Swallow

Bench: Jacobs, Mullett, Hansen, Garner

Emerg: Gibson, Anderson, Spud

McDonald - S.Thompson - Wright

Higgins - Wells - N.Dalsanto

Ziebell - Waite - Harvey

Goldstein - Cunnington - Swallow

Bench: Jacobs, Mullett, Hansen, Garner

Emerg: Gibson, Anderson, Spud

Don't mind it. I'd squeeze Anderson in myself but still a good side #depth

In my opinion, the one element of our side that is most likely to prevent us winning the flag this year is our ability to combat opposition tall forwards. Tarrant clearly takes their number one, and if scotty t can get somewhere close to his previous all Australian form he will be a capable player for us. It is pretty clear that it is the third tall that is our biggest concern. Our two best options would appear to be Joel Tippett (played all 3 NAB games, rated best lockdown defender outside AFL, 197cm, would allow thompson to play 3rd tall) and Lachie Hansen (No.3 draft pick, elite contested mark, also 197cm, other defenders love him as he helps them out). There are however pretty significant issues with both players. Tippett is very good at locking down on VFL standard players, but has often been exposed against AFL key forwards. While his disposal at the lower level is a strength, he seems to struggle under the extra pressure. Basically, it is up in the air as to whether he will ever be good enough to become an integral part of our side. As for Loogie, the knock on him is clearly his one on one efforts and his disposal, particularly by hand. I know her was rusty, but last weeks NAB game clearly demonstrated both those points. While he is great as the loose man, he simply looses too many one on one contests at this stage to be a premiership key defender. So my question, and in my opinion our biggest issue as a potential premiership contender this year, is this: who will be our 2nd or 3rd tall defender??

I'm going to have a 2nd crack at picking the round 1 side so here it goes:
B: Wright, Tarrant, Firrito
HB: Atley, Thompson, Macmillan
C: Dal Santo, Jacobs, Wells
HF: Higgins, Petrie, Harvey
F: Thomas, Waite, Ziebell
Foll: Goldstein, Cunnington, Swallow
Int: Anderson, Gibson, Mullett, Brown

Emerg: Hansen, Garner, Dumont, Clarke, Daw

The NAB 3 squad gives us an insight into who is genuinely pushing for a round 1 spot.

For starters, you can lock in:

Firrito - Thompson - Wright

Atley - Tarrant - JMac

Wells - Swallow - Dal Santo

Higgins (unless injured) - Waite - Harvey

Thomas - Petrie - ?

Bench: ?

That leaves one forward and 4 interchange.

Forward: Brown v Wood v Black. No surprise that all three are listed this week and playing for a spot in the team. I expected Brown to be rusty last week (a la Hansen) but he was very good. He's a lock if he shows up this week, but if he's unfit or stinks it up, then a firing Wood or Black could be a real chance.

Interchange:
1. Hansen v Tippett - Brad is committed to his structures and he likes three talls in defence. Hansen is a lock if he performs this week, despite being so sloppy last week. As much as I hate to say it, we might otherwise be seeing Tippett play
2. Lock in Gibson if fit. He was good last week and I'm almost certain he'll be in unless BigFooty infiltrates the selection committee
3. & 4. Anderson v Clarke v McDonald v Dumont v Mullett ....v Garner v Wood v Black v Jacob. Roughly in that order. We expect Anderson to be a walk up start, but he would want to play well this week because others are knocking on the door. Clarke has impressed since day 1 and is a real chance which is why he is named for a third game in a row. Don't think we will see both McDonald and Mullett in round 1, but either might be able to force their way in with a good performance. The rest are a bit behind for mine...Garner has just been ok; Jacob unfit; Wood and Black have been good, but I think Brad will be afraid to go that tall...of course a dominant performance by any of these characters this week could see them climb up the pecking order. Hibberd, Wagner and the other recruits are no chance at all.

The good thing about all this is that we bat strongly down to about 27+ players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back