Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda Football Club can confirm that Brendon Goddard has accepted an offer from Essendon Football Club as a restricted free agent and will be departing the Saints.

Despite a significant three year offer made by the Saints, which appropriately respected the Club’s player payment model, Goddard has elected to leave the Club.

St Kilda Head of Football, Chris Pelchen said, “We made a significant offer to Brendon that was relative to both his position and other players within the team. While we are disappointed at his decision to leave the Saints, we are absolutely committed to our ‘team first’ philosophy in relation to player contracts.”

St Kilda Football Club thanks Brendon Goddard for his services to the Saints, which was recently acknowledged with life membership at the Trevor Barker Medal function.

“While we were keen to retain Brendon’s services, the Club respects his right to exercise his options under new free agency rules” Pelchen said.

http://www.saints.com.au/NEWS/NewsArticle/tabid/5315/Default.aspx

His manager is now trying to make out that Goddard is going to Essendon to improve his finals and premiership chances but when you look at how we finished the season compared to Essendon and the fact we thrashed them last time without Goddard that reason doesn't make a lot of sense.

He is clearly going for more money and a longer contract, no other reason.

Good luck to the man. It was an inevitability that we had to lose or severely reduce a top liner from the club given the amount of vets we had and have coming in the next couple years on "sizeable" coin which severely reduced our ability to plug the middle aged bracket. Something or someone had to budge, and unfortunately for us and he it ended up being BJ.

On the plus side, he's a ranga and they're always a risk as it's spud or superpower. :p

Well I know I'm in the minority but I believed that with a full pre season under his belt Goddard would have gotten back to his best next year.

Really really sad about this :-(

We've all obviously seen this coming so have had a lot of time to deal with it, but there's just something about it being made official that makes it really sink in. All the best BJ. Gave everything while we were contenders, couldn't have asked much more of him.

He wanted four years at the time, then when it was clear he would not get it he was happy to settle for 3 with a fourth as option. At some point St Kilda decided they didn't want him so then they low balled him at $475K per year for 3 years.
He is obviously disgruntled and has told the club to stick it, as a lot of my my mates on here know as I pm'd them Friday morning giving them an update, regardless of the spin doctors working both sides in the media.
Anyway, shit happens and we move on, lets now close this thread and concentrate on positives, there is too much negative here and it is not going to change anything.
I'm moving over to the recruitment boards!!!
If the only reason he wouldn't sign is because of one extra year then BJ is idiotic.

Well I know I'm in the minority but I believed that with a full pre season under his belt Goddard would have gotten back to his best next year.

I don't think there'd be too many people that think that BJ won't play well next year. But we're not talking about 1 or 2 years.

I still think the free agency rules encourage teams to let their players go.

Say BJ really is worth 750K per season. How much is a first round pick worth? Teams tank to get better first round picks. Darren Jolly was worth a first round pick. Geelong only got pick 28 for Mumford.
Then there's Judd worth nearly two first round picks and a decent player ( Carlton cant seem to stop trying to buy a premiership ). Spider was pick 33.

The compo pick changes it from an all or nothing choice for the Saints to something they can stomach.

I just wonder if the likes of Hurley will be wondering why he's not getting paid much in a few years.

I'm just not that convinced that Essendon will be getting a flag soon just because their supporters want one.

I don't think there'd be too many people that think that BJ won't play well next year. But we're not talking about 1 or 2 years.

Yeah Luke Ball was on fire when he moved, but a couple of years on its same old same old.

I'd like us to get Jones to full fitness, and when we play Essendon BJ can be the one who copps the wrath of the feral fans because he only gets 5 disposals ( while getting angry ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Id be staggered if it isnt a first round draft pick" - Scott Watters on compensation for Goddard

st kildas response to beej and his management can be best summed up as "we dont negotiate with terrorists". sends a clear message to players coming through, you are either here for the club and your team mates to help us win a premiership, or your out

strong culture IMO
If we're going to have forum awards I nominate this for post of the year. :D

The "we don't negotiate with terrorists" killed me.

I still think the free agency rules encourage teams to let their players go.

Say BJ really is worth 750K per season. How much is a first round pick worth? Teams tank to get better first round picks. Darren Jolly was worth a first round pick. Geelong only got pick 28 for Mumford.
Then there's Judd worth nearly two first round picks and a decent player ( Carlton cant seem to stop trying to buy a premiership ). Spider was pick 33.

The compo pick changes it from an all or nothing choice for the Saints to something they can stomach.

Whilst I think the pick was attractive to the Saints, Jolly and Mumford wouldn't have qualified for FA. Nor would Judd. I think it's OK, given the player has to have had 8 years service. The filth showed (with Ball) that you can get around having to stump up what a player is worth anyway.

Watters says players like quality of Josh Caddy are what we will be going after. Going to be aggressive whilst we rebuild the list

My family are Saints supporters, I go to many St Kilda games each year so naturally I've got a soft spot for them. While I'm stoked that we've picked up BJ as I've loved watching him play, I strange about this, kinda feels like I'm stealing off my family. I hope St Kilda get appropriate compensation and you guys pick up a star with the pick.

This is a really sad turn of events. I thought free agency was only meant to help older players get to the club of their choice, not club's best players from switching. Sad day indeed. I hope he does him hammy at the scumbags.

Wishing injuries on players? Real piece of work you are.

Well I guess it is official now with that email from the club. All worded on payment appropriate to others from Chris P.

Guess we hop for pick 13 now.

Honestly what is wrong with people/players these days. Goddard if he stayed could be a legend at the saints. Your management offered him the captaincy and around 650,000 a year. What would you rather be known as? A bloke who left for "financial security" or a legend at a club who knocked back big bucks (only 50,000 really) to stay loyal to a club who has given him everything. I think it would be very awkward for goddard and riewoldt at his wedding. Seriously i do not understand.

Player managers are like the financial consultants / insurance brokers of the world, they get a commission on what they are able to sell. All advice they give, has to be examined in this light. Their priority is to themselves by simply maximising the amount of money, that their client makes. The more they can get for a player client, the larger their personal commission.

Thus for BJ's manager, he had a vested interested to chase the $$$$$$$$$$. Notions of club loyalty, staying for captaincy, being a one club player, playing on with his friends, were not on the managers agenda.

This is a positive for everyone (except possibly Essendon, over the entire four years), with BJ getting all the $$$$$ he craves, the manager a larger $$$$$$ payout through his commission and Saints the opportunity to draft another 200 game player, to take us to our next flag.

see ya Brendon

as we all saw last weekend both teams playing for the jumper seem to have a lot more of a red hot go than players playing for money

he's going to get paid win lose or draw......mmmmm....i won't go for that hard ball....i might break a nail

we got a lot of good kids comming through and a couple good draft picks could be what we need

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back